The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod 2.04 is Here

Mr. Tibbs

I'm interested to see how many mappers use the new ai_see argument for lights so they can add little bounce lighting without affecting the lightgem.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Oh man! I just loaded up a WIP and saw a few annoying performance problems disappear. I had suspected certain SEED entities as being an issue, but was concentrating more on the VPs nearby. Performance near 1 particular SEED while looking at a nearby VP was dropping from ~50fps to about 20. After 2.04 I now get 60+fps in the entire area. Now that performance is excellent it's time to continue with the WIP. :)

I like the new inventory grid, but I have one gripe about it.

When moving the cursor over the grid, mouse-view is still following the mouse, causing my player to look all over the place while selecting inventory. :(

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I like the new inventory grid, but I have one gripe about it.

When moving the cursor over the grid, mouse-view is still following the mouse, causing my player to look all over the place while selecting inventory. :(

I've only had this happen when noclip was active.

• Like 1

Congratulations to the new update. :) I've watched all the new additions in AluminumHaste's recent video already yesterday, and I'm especially pleased at the improved object grabbing mechanics and guards noticing weapons of knocked-out people. B) Excellent job, as always.

I'm a bit mad at myself right now for not finishing my localisation on time, but hopefully, it'll get included in 2.05 at the latest. I really need to finish translating the base package files.

Interesting. Makes me really curious how noclip gets involved & why it would lead to that bug of all things.

I guess it can't be called a proper bug though, since it still works for the vanilla game.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Beautiful and much needed improvement. Thank you developers, for putting so much work into making this game so great! This is definitely a notable and wonderful release.

I'm especially hyped about the new inventory system, which is something I've been wanting to see for a while. Though to be honest, it isn't entirely what I was hoping for either: I would have opted for a real grid-based inventory... where all objects take up space and can be moved to any hotkey, together with being able to visually hold any item in your hand. Pretty much like Minecraft, or the first of the DeusEx games. Maybe something to hope for in 2.05?

G9Z07Eo.jpg

Miracles!

Thank you for the collective labour put in this project. The size of this is inspiring. Thank you for heeding toward that request for Romanian.

In the comment section of the video, there is some speculation going on about EAX. Does anyone hold information on what is the current status of that feature and it's corelation with OpenAL? Can I ask if there is any sense in hoping for it working like in the Thief trilogy?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Miracles!

Thank you for the collective labour put in this project. The size of this is inspiring. Thank you for heeding toward that request for Romanian.

I was pretty surprised to hear there's someone maintaining a Romanian translation in the dev team, since I haven't even met any other TDM players from Romania here. It's nice if others from my country are around too :)

In the comment section of the video, there is some speculation going on about EAX. Does anyone hold information on what is the current status of that feature and it's corelation with OpenAL? Can I ask if there is any sense in hoping for it working like in the Thief trilogy?

I'm curious about this as well; If I remember correctly, EAX makes audio effects like echoes in rooms possible. But because of proprietary mumbo-jumbo, it doesn't work out of the box any more... especially on Linux which I use. There was talk of an open-source alternative being considered for replacing it in the engine, but I don't know where to follow the progress on that.

• Like 1

Also, I noticed a note about "AI scooting themselves out into the void": I should have reported that there was this one map once, which had a few diagonal walls (almost fully vertical but slightly tilted). Sometimes, when guards would patrol too close to it and stepped on the surface, they suddenly rocketed into the air then their bodies fell from the sky. It gave me a few scares at the time :P

I cannot get the update to work. The tdm_update.exe says a new updater needs to be installed and when I press Continue it just loops...

Also the ingame updater says the most recent version is 2.03...

I found another file; _tdm_update.exe and now it works! :)

Thanks for all the effort you've put into this boys and girls!

And also

ea5c2887_o.jpeg

It's good to know that I'm ahead of the game B)

Edited by Fieldmedic

I cannot get the update to work. The tdm_update.exe says a new updater needs to be installed and when I press Continue it just loops...

Also the ingame updater says the most recent version is 2.03...

Try setting "Do not allow tdm_updater to update itself" in the advanced menu.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Huh, tis not working for me. I think I'm having a similar issue to a user above me. I try to install, and it keeps looping. A message pops up, but goes away before I can get a good look at it.

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

Interesting. Makes me really curious how noclip gets involved & why it would lead to that bug of all things.

I guess it can't be called a proper bug though, since it still works for the vanilla game.

If I recall correctly, the same issue occurs when rotating a held object while in noclip.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8