The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod 2.04 is Here

Mr. Tibbs

I finally did the update as I'm activating again in mapping business.

I had some issues: tdm_update.exe did not somehow manage to update itself. It downloaded a new version as _tdm_update.exe, but somehow failed to replace the old tdm_update.exe. Then it restarted the older version and wanted to download the new update again, resulting in an infinite loop.

I renamed the _tdm_update.exe into new_tdm_update.exe before finishing the installer updater. Then I deleted the old tdm_update.exe and renamed the new_tdm_update.exe back into tdm_update.exe.

Then I had the new updater, and the game was updating properly.

Just a heads up, dunno if others had this.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Congratulations to the team! I am very interested in the AI changes especially and I will have a look at them as soon I have time. Also the glass shaders impressed me - maybe we will see more maps using "real" glass windows in the future with this. Great work! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

There's a problem that the group can be entered only by someone else's invitation. I couldn't find it for this reason through normal search functionality. Only the link works to find the group.

Can you make the group as public as possible in the settings?

Must be outdated configuration.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Fantastic work guys!

All these changes are much appreciated and are already are making the FM building process a lot easier. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who worked on this.

• Like 4

There's a problem that the group can be entered only by someone else's invitation. I couldn't find it for this reason through normal search functionality. Only the link works to find the group.

Can you make the group as public as possible in the settings?

Must be outdated configuration.

Group was easy to find by using steam search "groups" darkmod - a few others, ranks about 4th/5th.

Added to my group list and I can post comment, view all members, read updates, - just like being a normal member... Weird that the join message is "only by invite" and then lets you in... Can even leave the group, so am a "member" - just reports that "by invite only". Weird.

Edited by teh_saccade

I never did find the setting, @ Anderson I see you have joined now..

Yes, I did but only through the link provided. Without it I couldn't find the group at all.

There must be something wrong with the settings I'm almost certain, otherwise it wouldn't be membership by invite only.

Edit group permissions doesn't change that somewhere?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I had a small issue running the update. It said again and again that there is a new Dark Mod Updater available and after download I should restart the updater. Upon doing that, it downloaded the updater again. I needed to manually download the updater from the website. Now it seems to be working :)

Did I read it correctly that loading times are shorter now? I that is true, that should definitely be named the top aspect in the video.

• Like 1

Loading times are the same.

It says in the release announcement that they're a little bit shorter. :)

Improved Load Times:

While not a huge jump, it was found that particle bounds were determined via a lengthy Monte Carlo simulation. This has been scaled back to a simpler bounds calculation resulting in shorter map loading.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone but SteveL tested this extensively and he has a fairly beefy CPU.

I noticed some maps loading much quicker than I remembered but there was a strong variance in load times depending on whether I had a driver profile for the executable or not and other factors. Tons of outside factors to weed out.

The fix was not intended to address overall performance but instead was meant to deal with particle spawn radius values that were very large (skybox size) so it was a worthwhile change anyway.

I would like to get forum reports of comparisons.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I only had time to load up the training mission after the update, and I didn't compare it with the previous build, but it didn't feel like it took as long to load on my lap top which is under powered by today's standards. :) Probably not a huge difference but anything is a help.