The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 2.04 updater and XP

urgrue

The trend is to take extra time and efforts to not support XP on purpose, even when it's quite easy to do so. :)

These damn XP users, they only understand the language of whippings and lashes, otherwise they will just never learn...

It's still not quite so cool because it still works on 32bit systems, but that's just for now. It will be "fixed".

The day approaches closer when everyone can begin to down the pants and dump some turds on Windows 7. Don't think it won't arrive.

Edited by LDAsh

I think that Its not fair for XP-users, who are willing to play this great game
Knowing that doom 3 runs on it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/208200/discussions/0/828925849312496845/
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/doom-3/10221

My advice is to ignore the updater. Get the old stand-alone version (2.0) and update with the patches (all from moddb)
Or try to download the gamefiles from tdm mirrors. (for example, from 2.03 from helium)
But I dont know if you can run the windows executable. Please let us know.

@tdm-update compiler:
I should be nice that people with older os versions systems can run tdm binaries.
Because its just a simple updater. Please create a copy of the code, change platform toolset in VS, compile it again.
I develop my (simple) apps always on the most lowest version of application environment possible.
Is it difficult to change toolset? And test stuff using a virtualmachine with multiple os'ses?

The trend is to take extra time and efforts to not support XP on purpose, even when it's quite easy to do so. :)
These damn XP users, they only understand the language of whippings and lashes, otherwise they will just never learn...

Let them be. Its not your problem.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I don't recall us changing anything to explicitly remove WinXP support. I'll see if I have a WinXP vm already so that I can test this.

My personal opinion (not endorsed by TDM) is that you are doing yourself a disservice by continuing to run WinXP. With MS discontinuing support (or providing token support at best), I wouldn't trust an XP system as anything that could possibly hold or access sensitive data.

I am the bat. The night is mine.

I think that Its not fair for XP-users, who are willing to play this great game

Knowing that doom 3 runs on it:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208200/discussions/0/828925849312496845/

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/doom-3/10221

My advice is to ignore the updater. Get the old stand-alone version (2.0) and update with the patches (all from moddb)

Or try to download the gamefiles from tdm mirrors. (for example, from 2.03 from helium)

But I dont know if you can run the windows executable. Please let us know.

@tdm-update compiler:

I should be nice that people with older os versions systems can run tdm binaries.

Because its just a simple updater. Please create a copy of the code, change platform toolset in VS, compile it again.

I develop my (simple) apps always on the most lowest version of application environment possible.

Is it difficult to change toolset? And test stuff using a virtualmachine with multiple os'ses?

Let them be. Its not your problem.

Unpacked tdm_update_2.03_to_2.04.zip from helium into the darkmod folder. Works fine, apart from the updater executable, so can't complain too much.

Even so ... why?

@freyk Thanks for the suggestion.

@taaaki Point taken, though XP still runs pretty securely (as long as you take strict precautions.) One day it'll end tragic, I suppose, but not today.

I'll see if I have a WinXP vm already so that I can test this.

I tested TDM updater (version 0.65) on a XP sp3-32bit and received the same application error.

Playing with the compatibility options didnt help.

(my TDM installer at XP, works for 95%. it doesn't automatically start the updater after installation.)

@devs:

Would be nice that you fix the updater.

take also a look at the windows file-description information for the updater, fileversion registered its "1.0.0.1", needs to be 0.65)

and adding an unattended install option to the updater for windows (like the updater for linux) should be also nice.

-

No abnormal problems found during the start of TDM on XP.

Only that my virtual videocard/drivers are not supported, according the tdm windowed console.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

TDM 2.04 runs fine under XP x86, in terms of loading up the main menu, but this is what happens when I try to load any mission:-

tdm204_err.png

So we can all relax that TDM possibly does work under XP. I am most pleased to present this error to you all and good day.

So we can all relax that TDM possibly does work under XP. I am most pleased to present this error to you all and good day.

Funny, that. Running XP, played first part of "A House of Locked Secrets" by Moonbo, no problem. However, 2nd part did not load due to a malloc error:

malloc error.txt

BTW, here are my specs. You might need a pair of your own to read them:

post-6509-0-84828400-1469710195_thumb.jpg

I seek no pleasure in others' misfortune.

You have mid to hi end system, why on earth are you still running xp and not windows 7? You can buy upgrade versions of 7 for £20 or less on eBay or games key sites. As for the malloc error, that sounds like Xp is limited the amount of ram can be used for any applications or games.

Funny, that. Running XP, played first part of "A House of Locked Secrets" by Moonbo, no problem. However, 2nd part did not load due to a malloc error:

attachicon.gifmalloc error.txt

BTW, here are my specs. You might need a pair of your own to read them:

attachicon.gifmyspec.jpg

I seek no pleasure in others' misfortune.

Malloc errors mean you are hitting a memory limit somewhere. Typically we see this with texture loading. I think XP has some bad heuristics for this in

graphic memory allocation because I got malloc errors on XP for missions that would not have them on Win7.

As a workaround, try using the image_downsize changes I suggested here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18206-slow-performance-fix/?do=findComment&comment=391901

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I have Windows 7, 8 and 10, but I continue to run XP by choice, mainly because I prefer it, and it does (repeat, did) the job. This is the first time that TDM has given me any kind of problem; 2.03 ran flawlessly under XP. If 2.04 represents a step change then so be it, and a dual boot system will be the way to go for me. But in that case, I would have preferred someone to say clearly and up front that TDM 2.04 would no longer support XP users (the DarkMod Wiki proclaims support for XP as of today.) The thousands running XP on low-end systems, who don't know how to upgrade or can't afford to, will then know for certain that they are being left behind.

Malloc errors mean you are hitting a memory limit somewhere. Typically we see this with texture loading. I think XP has some bad heuristics for this in

graphic memory allocation because I got malloc errors on XP for missions that would not have them on Win7.

As a workaround, try using the image_downsize changes I suggested here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18206-slow-performance-fix/?do=findComment&comment=391901

Thanks. Tried it, with similar results.

malloc error 02.txt

Darkmod.cfg.txt

Not looking good, is it?

Your video ram is over the 2GB application limit for 32-bit applications.

Let's set that to:

seta com_videoRam "512"

If that change improves things, you can try increasing the downsize limits to improve quality.

If not, see if we need to go lower.

Lets try:

seta image_preload "0"
seta image_downSizeLimit "256"

Last shots here:

seta image_forceDownSize "1"

finally

seta r_skipParticles "1"

Also, try disabling background applications to see if the application is polling memory addresses above the 32-bit limit because the other

applications are already using the lower ranges.

Hmm do you have the Visual C++ 2013 redistributable installed?

I'll check the project properties and see if I can compile with "Platform Toolset = v120_xp." set tonight.

Maybe. There was some work on 64-bit fixes during the 2.04 build so perhaps we have some C++11 code in there somewhere

on accident. Installing the Visual C++ 2013 package should allow you to run the application if that's the case. Other than that,

I can check the compile options. I think we once had to do something similar for Win 2000 when we went to MSVC 2010.