The Dark Mod Forums

Single player and/or 1st person games: Recomendations

Bikerdude

No System Shock 2 because it is too old for you? Uuh... you're missing such a gem. Especially when you like the Thief games. SS 2 is one of the greated games ever for me. Probably only topped by Deus Ex.

Fully agreed.

@Biker: I always thought that you were a video game veteran with his roots in the early 1980s?

Fully agreed.

@Biker: I always thought that you were a video game veteran with his roots in the early 1980s?

That's such a stamped label...

To each his own genre. System Shock and Deux Ex just aren't the type of games that would appeal to people who aren't into the genre/theme of science fiction/dystopia.

Just like VTM:Bloodlines doesn't appeal to anyone who isn't into gothic/dark fantasy stuff.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I didn't start playing video games till I got an Amiga A1200, that was the very late 80s, early 90s. Favourite games I can think off the top of my head, Gods, Flashback, Chaos Engine, Alien Breed

It's your decision. Personally, i find that there are much more important aspects than graphics and fx. I'd even say that SS2's graphics are sufficient for the experience. Of course it's nice to have blinky blinky graphics, but, the gameplay and atmosphere are much more important for me. And that's also where it often lacks in games these days. Great graphics, but bad gameplay.

To be honest, though, i wouldn't play the first System Shock today. It's not just the graphics, but, the controls also seem very cumbersome...

Edited by chakkman

We could just ban him if he continues to not play System Shock 2. :smile:

If someone knows what's best for you Biker, it's us, who have played Shock 2.

I played System Shock 2 but never completed it.

I thought it's just Thief but without proper stealth and too combat focused. Basically from where Bioshock kicked off. Nothing to write home about. The OpenAL feature included just like in the Thief games is nice, but maybe i'm just not too much into science fiction or something. Too detached from my interests. Then again, I was never a sucker for Isaac Asimov and such.

The game might be good, but just not my cup of cake. Not made for me.

Overall, I'm not sure the story was anything better than System Shock 1 either. That's sad.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

System Shock 2 was one of the best experiences in my life back then. The controls are still mostly fine, the movement model is similar to Thief. System Shock 1 though, that's a no no for me exactly because of the controls. Let's hope kids from Night Dive Studios do a good remake with decent controls.

I played System Shock 2 but never completed it.

I thought it's just Thief but without proper stealth and too combat focused. Basically from where Bioshock kicked off. Nothing to write home about. The OpenAL feature included just like in the Thief games is nice, but maybe i'm just not too much into science fiction or something. Too detached from my interests. Then again, I was never a sucker for Isaac Asimov and such.

The game might be good, but just not my cup of cake. Not made for me.

Overall, I'm not sure the story was anything better than System Shock 1 either. That's sad.

Fair enough. I'd disagree that it is like Bioshock, though. Atmosphere and setting wise, it is very different. I also hated the action focus in Bioshock. SS 2 is rather chilled RPG action.

Let's say (or let me say), Bioshock is a bad copy. At least for me. The guy who directed Bioshock also is a bit of a controversial figure.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

It's your decision. Personally, i find that there are much more important aspects than graphics and fx. I'd even say that SS2's graphics are sufficient for the experience. Of course it's nice to have blinky blinky graphics,

Has anyone done a HD pack for it like we have for SS2..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Has anyone done a HD pack for it like we have for T2..?

Yeah. Some mysterious dude made unofficial patches with bug fixes to T2 and SS2 randomly on the internet as well.

Now that I think of it, the only way I would find myself ok to play SS2 would be with coop with someone I know. But mostly just for the laughs. I never thought the horror ever approached the Silent Hill atmosphere.

badge?user=andarson

Fair enough. I'd disagree that it is like Bioshock, though. Atmosphere and setting wise, it is very different. I also hated the action focus in Bioshock. SS 2 is rather chilled RPG action.

Let's say (or let me say), Bioshock is a bad copy. At least for me. The guy who directed Bioshock also is a bit of a controversial figure.

Agreed. To me in a better way though because I like ships and the sea and the underwater effects were spot on with Bioshock. Never felt anything like that in SS2. I mean space is just void. Nothingness. The sea is more romantic.

Besides the Andrew Ryan and Ayn Rand thrown in makes for interesting hook to an otherwise mediocre story.

But it was awesome until something happens to Andrew Ryan (can't say because spoilers). I'd say until that moment, halfway through the game, it was worth it.

I guess SS 2 appeals to people who liked "Space Odyssey 2001" and "The Thing"?

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Has anyone done a HD pack for it like we have for T2..?

Yes, there are a some mods that update the visuals: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0 (see "Recommended mods").

System Shock 2 wasn't the best looking game when it came out and it doesn't look very good on screenshots. You have to experience it in motion and especially with audio (just like Thief).

Edit: If you don't like it, like Anderson, that's fine. But you should at least try it. There's a reason a lot of people regard it as an all time favorite.

System Shock 2 wasn't the best looking game when it came out and it doesn't look very good on screenshots. You have to experience it in motion and especially with audio (just like Thief).

I agree. Actually, those HD and texture mods always take a bit of the atmosphere, IMO, simply because the game was meant to look like it does. Anyway, my point of view is that if you can look past bad graphics, there's a lot you will gain, because you will experience the real virtues of the game then, not the blinky, shiny surface. Of course good graphics are nice, but, if the gameplay is crap, the graphics can be nice as they want, it'll still be a crap game.

Might be slightly OT (not a first-person game but it is single-player) but I've been getting a lot of mileage out of "Qbik," which is a 2D pixel-art puzzler currently on sale for 90% off ($0.49 US). Has a level editor, small hard drive footprint and can run on just about any computer made within the past 10+ years. Despite the kid-friendly pixel art, the levels get pretty tough early on so bring your thinking cap with you.

Here's the link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/618470/Qbik/

The sale ends within the next 24 hours.

It looks good, but, when i read one more Deus Ex comparison on the net, i have to... *input whipping smiley here* Really, it doesn't look or feel like Deus Ex much. Rather like a futuristic Cyberpunk GTA. No idea what the peeps are smoking these days that comparisons with games which are far from what you see always come up.

Well, this is just like each slightly difficult game is a "new Dark Souls". It is easier to name a game that people know as a comparison (regardless of how well it fits) than to actually describe the game. From what I have seen, I would describe it more as a "first person Mass Effect (3)", as it is a Sci-Fi RPG with a lot of shooter elements. You will find a lot of single aspects in other games, so you would have to compare these aspects and not the whole game. Anyway, given that the publisher is CDproject RED and they still don't give a release date with the reason that the game is released when it is ready, I would expect a qualitiy that is higher than in most "we have to meet our deaeline" games that are unortunately very common these days.

From what I have seen, I would describe it more as a "first person Mass Effect (3)", as it is a Sci-Fi RPG with a lot of shooter elements.

I really hope it won't be a mostly linear cover shooter like Mass Effect 3 was. I expect them to make a higly non-linear open world game featuring a ton of non-combat mechanics in addition to the cover shooter mechanic (wich might be in there as well).

If they go as far and let us do the entire game non-lethal or even as a ghost, i would indead be inclined to call it a "Deus Ex: Mankind Divided" done right (that title failed on the open world aspect like it was a new "Thief: Deadly Shadows" - twelve years later).

"Cyberpunk GTA" or "The Witcher 2020" could also describe it quite right - if it misses the ghost and non-lethal play style options.

Deus Ex was never a Open World game. Rather a mission based game, with city hubs. In a strict linear fashion, unlike real Open World RPG's. The thing differentiating it from other, similar games is that you can take crucial game descisions, which will affect the story, and outcome of the game.

Really, Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty different. Both are Cyberpunk games, and, CD Projekt Red also obviously took some of Deus Ex' ingredients (lethal and non-lethal takedowns e.g.), but, apart from that, different games. Which is fair enough.

I do not believe it; an action adventure as coded in the old days.

Played the first and the second game on my PS3.

The story is....forget the story, but the gameplay was cool. A combination of both Soul Reaver from Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider of Core Design: puzzles, combat (shooting), riding (dark) horses and J&R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s91PgLA9hCM#

Biker, if you have not played the first game of the series, then I would suggest you do it now. I can really recommend it.

• Like 1

Deus Ex was never a Open World game. Rather a mission based game, with city hubs. In a strict linear fashion, unlike real Open World RPG's. The thing differentiating it from other, similar games is that you can take crucial game descisions, which will affect the story, and outcome of the game.

True that.

Ooh, the third Darksiders is finally in the making. I loved the first one (for me it was like a Zelda game with more blood and gore). The second one got a bit too RPGy (less of an action adventure with more equippable weapons and other RPG elements etc for my taste), but still quite good. I will definitely play the third part as well.