The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ Games news

Bikerdude

Gwent was a nice pastime in Witcher, not the worst card game, but not that spectacular either. Making it the main mechanic in a game is, in my opion, not very interesting. Witcher always was (at least in part) about the fights against monsters and replacing that with a card game is plain boring.

Slightly off topic for this thread as it is not computer game related, but connected to the Witcher: If any of you are into pen & paper RPGs, R. Talsoiran Games has released a core rule book set in the Witcher world. I have only played a couple of sessions, but so far I can say that even though it has its flaws, it is a nice system that captures the essence of the Witcher quite nicely.

Taking Gwent and making it a full game (an RPG even?!) looks a bit crazy to me. But Gwent was a fresh take on the trading card genre and has accumulated quite a fan base. So it could be enough a success to give them the time they need to finish Cyberpunk 2077...

Personally, I prefer 20 h of good gameplay over 40-100 h mediocre gameplay. I usually compare the entertainment per time factor to cinema, i.e. up to roughly 10€/h is fine as long as I am well entertained. With this game (which I expect to be quite cinematic) you are at about 2£/h, so it is fine. I will still wait until I get it in a sale, but this is due to the fact that I have lots of games right now and am not that eager to play a game right away. The last game I was really hyped for was thief 4 and we all know how this ended... Ever since I am fine with buying games later (usually at 30-50% off)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking forward to this mod for years. It was a pleasant surprise this morning to read that it's been released. It looks great too! Looks like I'll have to reinstall F:NV and play this.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that it's bad, especially because, once you're outside the vault, the world is pretty empty and sterile.

Not surprised, to be honest. I think many don't really see the amount of work and effort flowing in such games, and think every hobbyist mod team is able to do the same in that time.

The Long Dark is 75% off on Steam right now. Definitely worth a look. https://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/The_Long_Dark/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So Black and White 2 has a mod for pure sandbox and full customization of how you want it to be. Only adding multiplayer is left https://www.moddb.com/mods/bw2-redux/downloads/black-white-2-redux-version-12-eng?fbclid=IwAR1EC9xUN1ZVCLk8h-v57YbThUwS9s1hOtDs66R0CrlB91otu7XHRqvvxyI

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

New Obsidian RPG in 3D!

They recently got bought by Microsoft Game Studios, alongside InXile, so, i guess that's the first offspring of that marriage.

Obsidian released a Turn Based Mode in the New Patch for Pillars of Eternity 2. Pretty smart move imo. I purchased the game and looks Stunning. I never finished the first one because of Real Time fights which are to chaotic for my taste. I really wish they do the same for the first one and hope to see something similar for Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition. ^_^ This sort of solves the issue I had with the first one that made me feel the dungeons were too small. Turn based gameplay forces the player to spend more time in Dungeons and sort of compensate for it. Everything feels more balanced in this one.

Edited by Taquito.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a new Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines coming!

Yeah but no fixes to have Bloodlines 1 working straight out of the box on Steam, only GOG.

I have the feeling that despite good intentions to make profit, Bloodlines 2 will not surpass the original like Witcher 2 and 3 could not be better than the original game (which was the most faithul to the books).

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson