The Dark Mod Forums

TDM doesnt start on Ubuntu 16.04

omginput

Those lines need to go in a text file ending in .desktop and placed somewhere like $HOME/Desktop or $HOME/.local/share/applications — it looks like you are trying to run them as terminal commands, which won't work.

Thanks, but I still cannot get it to work.

And follow the instruction manual on the TDM wiki and read the notes on it.

(if they uploaded the 64 bit version of the TDM updater, you dont have to install the 32 bit libraries)

That's what I did! But these instructions are not fool proof (IMHO). I read the notes, but what do they mean? Sorry, I am obviously stupid.

If you followed the instructions on the wiki, then we need to know which other packages you need to install.

Please post content of some logs in this topic, that you can generate with several commands.

(please put them in a spoiler-tag)

First update TDM. (if you not already done that)

Open a terminal, navigate to your tdm folder and run the tdm updater:

cd /usr/share/games/darkmod;
./tdm_update.linux64
Navigate to your tdm folder and look for a darkmod.log.

Open this file a text editor and copy the text in this topic.

Generate start-log and a log of the needed libraries:

cd /usr/share/games/darkmod;
ldd ./thedarkmod.x64 logmylibraries.txt
sudo ldconfig -v | grep libGL > /usr/share/games/darkmod/log-videoreq.txt
./thedarkmod.x64 +gfxinfo +condump logstart.txt +quit
Then open the generated "logmylibraries.txt", "log-videoreq.txt" and "logstart.txt"from your tdm folder with a text editor and copy the text in this topic.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I don't generally like jumping into the middle of a conversation when someone is already being assisted, but I fear that things might be going astray here.

Freyk, IIUC, all 'fraten' wants to do is install a desktop icon. It sounds like the game itself is already installed correctly... it's just lacking a "launch" icon.

Is that the case, fraten? That is, can you run the game from a command prompt? If you don't know, please check that first.

Also, I don't use Ubuntu (I'm a Slackware user) and I don't use desktop icons, but I suspect that you could find plenty of information online in a generic search for "Ubuntu desktop icons" or similar. Or simply try to find where/how an existing desktop icon is configured.

BTW, the advice you got from OrbWeaver is quite sound, based on my past experience. If his instructions failed you, then please be more specific about that so that we can give better guidance.

Furthermore, I agree that the instructions are not fool-proof. In all seriousness, if you succeed at this, you might be able to help us with some improved instructions, so please don't give up yet!

I updated the TDM-wiki article part: Installing TDM on Linux 64 bit manually

Under this part you will find also an updated instruction howto create a desktop shortcut in kde.

If it dont start, its possible you need to install some other packages. Follow my earlier post or use the notes in the updated part.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I think there is some confusion here because there are actually two different problems reported by two different people in this thread. It might be helpful if a moderator could split the posts, starting with fraten's question about creating a desktop shortcut, into a separate thread, since this is unrelated to the thread title of TDM not starting on Ubuntu.

I don't generally like jumping into the middle of a conversation when someone is already being assisted, but I fear that things might be going astray here.

Freyk, IIUC, all 'fraten' wants to do is install a desktop icon. It sounds like the game itself is already installed correctly... it's just lacking a "launch" icon.

Is that the case, fraten? That is, can you run the game from a command prompt? If you don't know, please check that first.

Also, I don't use Ubuntu (I'm a Slackware user) and I don't use desktop icons, but I suspect that you could find plenty of information online in a generic search for "Ubuntu desktop icons" or similar. Or simply try to find where/how an existing desktop icon is configured.

BTW, the advice you got from OrbWeaver is quite sound, based on my past experience. If his instructions failed you, then please be more specific about that so that we can give better guidance.

Furthermore, I agree that the instructions are not fool-proof. In all seriousness, if you succeed at this, you might be able to help us with some improved instructions, so please don't give up yet!

Yes, you are right. It was only about the desktop icon. Then game itself started good. Unfortunately I already removed TDM from ubuntu and run it now in Windows - I use a dual boot system with ubuntu and Windows 10.

I updated the TDM-wiki article part: Installing TDM on Linux 64 bit manually

Under this part you will find also an updated instruction howto create a desktop shortcut in kde.

If it dont start, its possible you need to install some other packages. Follow my earlier post or use the notes in the updated part.

Thanks for doing that - I will take the time to install the game again in ubuntu and come back to you if I run into further problems.

I think there is some confusion here because there are actually two different problems reported by two different people in this thread. It might be helpful if a moderator could split the posts, starting with fraten's question about creating a desktop shortcut, into a separate thread, since this is unrelated to the thread title of TDM not starting on Ubuntu.

Yes, sorry, but I thought my problem would fit into the thread.

Edit: full description of my journey... Sorry for the long text. I hope it helps.

Good news! I (re-)installed TheDarkMod on my ubuntu 18.04. But here‘s a list of problems I had with the installation. (Sorry for the long text, but I wrote down everything I did and thought).
1) I open the wiki and find too much to choose: I count 6 (!) ways to install TDM on linux. So which way is right for me? Of course I want it to be convenient and mostly automatically.
I chose Installing TDM on Linux, using the Packagemanager. The first thing I should is „open your packagemanager“. What is a packagemanager? I am not sure… so I put „packagemanager“ into the ubuntu software center (I hope you know what I mean because… I am using a german installation of ubuntu and all the names are translated as well, so I re-translating the names that ubuntu shows me): „no results found“. Dammit. No help here. So I ask Google. „packagemanager ubuntu“. The first link https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/package-management.html.en informs me that „Ubuntu features a comprehensive package management system“, but doesn‘t give me a name. That‘s no help. But the second link says „synaptic“. That rings a bell. I search for synaptic on my computer, but it links to the software center ...and I loose confidence that I do the right thing… Let‘s see what other possibilities there are.
2) and 3) Installing TDM on Linux, using DEB Softwarepackage & Installing TDM on Linux, using a RPM Softwarepackage
The first thing I read on the wiki is „Important:This DEB Package does not install dependencies packages.“ Oh, ok. What does that mean for me? Is that bad? It sounds bad. Let‘s try something different. And I go back to the top of the page.
4) Installing TDM on Linux, manually
I have a 64-bit system but only later did I see that there is an extra chapter for 64-bit systems… oopsie! But no harm done.
5) Installing TDM on Linux 64 bit, manually
„Step 1: Create the dark mod folder in your /usr/share and set permissions“ Ok. How? I had to look it up how to create a folder there. „Set permissions“? Sure. What do you mean?
And what is wget anyway? Again, I looked it up in the software center and only got obscure results. Well, I‘ll start anyway… and it worked obviously.
Regarding the notes:
„Its (sic!) possible you need to install some required packages before or after the installation.
use command "ld" and TDM log files to determine the packages you need.
I have no clue what that means. I yelled „Id“ three times at my computer but nothing happened. Where are the TDM log files? I don‘t know what I‘m doing.
I should also (maybe?) install environment packages to run 32 bit applications: I get this in return from the terminal.
E: Invalid Operation libc6:i386
Hmm… Something bad again? I‘ll ignore it.
Success! TDM is running. But I don‘t want to remember the terminal command! Let‘s create a shortcut.
„Just create or shortcut file, using the default way to create shortscuts in your desktopmanager.“ Ah. Ok. I looked up several tutorials on the internet how to create a shortcut in ubuntu. These tell me, I should go to /usr/share/applications. But that's not what I want, right?
It tells me to create a new file… Again, I am lost (I look at the wiki, but I don‘t know what KDE is and assume that‘s not for me). I use right click on the desktop, but there‘s no option to create a new file.
Google again. It tells me „touch newfile“. I do that, find the „newfile“ in my home directory and drag and drop the „newfile“ into the desktop folder. I rename it „thedarkmod.desktop“.
I use gedit ~/Desktop/thedarkmod.desktop and do all the changes according to the wiki (BTW: „Then open the file with your favorite texteditor...“ scared me, because I don‘t know the texteditors in linux and at this point I am already too afraid to do something wrong).
I try to save it but get this error message: the file »/home/fraten/Desktop/darkmod.desktop« could not be found. Last time I got stuck here, but now I know: In German „Desktop“ is named „Schreibtisch“ and therefore the path is wrong. This is strange, because „ gedit ~/Desktop/darkmod.desktop“ worked just fine. It's a mystery to me.
After that is solved I save and… what now? I have two textfiles on my desktop. Doubleclicking either of them just opens the textfile. So I am still stuck here...
Thanks for reading.
Edited by fraten
  • Like 1

Looking at this adventure, my first desire is... to nuke the whole list of "ways to install on Linux" from the wiki ! :angry:

The core problem is that the list of options is hugely excessive (and thus probably partly broken).

Also, it is not clear which ways are "officially supported" and which are just alternatives for the adventurous people.

The officially supported way is the same on Linux and Windows. It is as simple as:

1) Download the TDM updater from TDM website (choose Linux 64-bit version if you have 64-bit Linux) to the directory where you want TDM to be installed.

2) Run the updater. Don't forget --noselfupdate parameter if you are using 64-bit Linux updater (this nuisance will get fixed by 2.08, I hope).

3) If it installs well, play and enjoy. If it does not, go to forums and report.

Of course, there are various details like 1) chmod updater executable 2) permissions in TDM directory.

TDM 2.06 and 2.07 also complains about missing OpenAL package (hope to fix it by 2.08).

But I guess most of the people can solve them using common computer knowledge, googling and asking on forums.

For non-tech-savvy Windows users, we also started offering Freyk's GUI installer, so that they don't get problems by trying to install TDM into "Program Files", for instance.

Linux users should be tech-savvy by definition, at least this is my opinion.

All the rest like playing on Wine, playing on PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac, various packages and such stuff are unofficial (playing on Mac also is).

While it is great to have this information on wiki, it should be clear that this is not what a newcomer wants to try.

I think I will take this article (which is directly linked to the main page), and try to slightly restructure it to accent what is "normal installation" and what is "adventurous installation".

EDIT: in fact, the instructions I posted above are present both on the Downloads page on website and in the linked wiki article...

(...)

But I guess most of the people can solve them using common computer knowledge, googling and asking on forums.

For non-tech-savvy Windows users, we also started offering Freyk's GUI installer, so that they don't get problems by trying to install TDM into "Program Files", for instance.

Linux users should be tech-savvy by definition, at least this is my opinion.(...)

I agree with most of your comments. But then again... not only tech-savvy people (should) use Linux. My guess is that there are some people out there who just don't have the money to buy an OS or who are not a fan of Microsoft. I admit, I have Ubuntu installed just because for the fun of it. Regarding the installation process, I look at it more from a "make it easy for the customer" perspective. If someone is out there who runs Linux on his computer we could (should!) make it as easy as possible for these users. I think all it takes to achieve this is to describe the process in every detail (you know, fool-proof). I am willing to invest time into doing that (maybe on an extra page...).

How do I log in to the wiki to edit?

Edited by fraten

I just want to mention that I started allmost all installation manuals and installers,
because in the beginning there was almost nothing user-friendly documents or installation software created for beginners.

And kept the docs and installers updated, by implementing techonical sollutions from this forum.

For the Linux part, i kept them general as possible, for all linux distro's.
Just pick a method and post questions about them (or do a internet search)
I cant bear all those distro-specific features in mind, because that takes time.
But you can create/change all things yourself and send me (or somebody else) the changes to publisch.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Somehow this comes to my mind...

I just want to mention that I started allmost all installation manuals and installers,

because in the beginning there was almost nothing user-friendly documents or installation software created for beginners.

And kept the docs and installers updated, by implementing techonical sollutions from this forum.

For the Linux part, i kept them general as possible, for all linux distro's.

Just pick a method and post questions about them (or do a internet search)

I cant bear all those distro-specific features in mind, because that takes time.

But you can create/change all things yourself and send me (or somebody else) the changes to publisch.

Ok, ok. Sorry.