The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex mod - like Dark mod is to Thief?

tefdal

Status Darkmission-mission1- briefing WIP 20162114

Improved credits scene (added textwindows, added credits-text and changed background)

Added Titlelogo-symbol for The Dark Mission. (created by an aquaintance, got permission to use it. I changed a bit. Now it needs also a TitleLogo-text )

edit

Status Darkmission-mission1- briefing WIP 20162115

Changed the menubackground parchments into metal plates.

experimented with plain text in briefing

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Found some mods that we combine:

Blade yautja, bladerunner doom 3, 556mm full metal jacket,phantasm beyond II - the neverdead, desolated - the crying fate.

(how about the frying pan mod?)

If someone can import objects from the mods above in tdm, i will implement them in my experiment.

some video's:

blade runner:

blade Yautja:

desolated - the crying fate

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Contacted the author from blade yautja, bladerunner and phantasm, if he could help us.

Uploaded new version to the project folder.

If someone wants to see/test/ my work in progress, please pm me.

Or should i post some screenshots or a link to the projects google drive in this topic?

Status Darkmission-mission1- briefing WIP 20162121

Added new fonts and replaced this in several places.

Added Text to the Logo.

Added a loading percentage to loadingscreen.

Working on a new Hud.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

It's more efficient to have testing all at once at the end (beta testing) unless you want to test a specific system early on to ensure it's working (alpha testing).

Posting screenshots is a great idea for people to follow along, and a link to the google drive project folder could be a good idea if people want to contribute something.

Edit: For getting models into TDM, just follow the wiki instructions.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Starting_to_Model_for_TDM

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Because you can use a phone now, it has to have some features.

Now It buzzes when you display/get/solved objectives.

Showing and selecting things in inventory, did not work well

an internal music player, didnt work well either.

How about a ringtone to lure the guards to you?

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

This is much like what I'm working on, and I even spent a lot of time mulling over whether to use TDM or not. It was tough but I decided to go with an engine that was much more optimised in terms of LOD. We still do use Radiant, particularly DarkRadiant, as a core element of our workflow. But anyway, I have a LOT of materials (over 4000) that can easily be thrown into an idTech4 project, all urban/tech/scifi/industrial themed heavily influenced by Deus Ex. I believe indie developers should be trying to work together and it doesn't mean we'll be stepping on toes, because who really cares if we've both got a door texture or cinderblock wall texture that's exactly the same? I don't think the audience will care. I think the weapons and characters are more important, but that comes later. Getting environments (mapping) cooking first is the place to start, but that can't really happen without a decent collection of textures to work with...

Edited by LDAsh
  • Like 1

To me, and for now, The Dark Mission is just an experiment.

TDM and D3 engine have almost the things, what we need for a cyperpunk/modernday stealth game.

But at this moment i don't have any manpower/time to create new objects.

So I "work together with indie developers" by combining already existing stuff (like textures) (from/for D3 mods and many other opensource-minded projects), edit/change them (where necessary) and give them the credits.

Ok, Its not original, but if you combine things you create a whole new thing.

Hopefully i can publish a link to our project-folder, so people can download a "nightly build" and enjoy what Demagogue, Tefdal and I already made.

Baal is working on existing map(s).

He re-texture/re-light/re-sound them and put some TDM-guards and -objects in it.

Then we combine that map, with the things I collected (HUD, GUI, Credits-menu, briefing, logo, sounds and music).

And finally publish the project (where all permissions/rights are complied).

From that point, we will see what people do with it.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Sorry for the long delay. I'll blame it on the holidays.

Anyway, I tried finding the game design document itself and couldn't which was discouraging. However, I did find a lot of ancillary documents which jogged my memory and was probably even better than finding it. Rather than copy-paste (a lot of it was stream-of-conscious writing and constant revisionism), I decided to just summarize everything in paste2.org document since it'd probably be TL;DR here.

http://paste2.org/HOhvg02D

However, for those who don't want to follow the link:

* The crux of the game was energy management: Think of being a thief just like in "Thief" but you got to manage how much you could be invisible, how quiet you were, how far you could jump, etc. but you had to do all of that on an energy "budget." You could use wall sockets and car batteries to give you power boosts but, for the most part, you had to use what you started out with.

* It was much more "ghost-like" than Thief. In essense, you weren't a killing machine, either from afar or in combat.

* Instead of "easy medium, hard," it was "spy, assassin, thug" or something like that. I wanted there to be different objectives on the level rather than loot differences or # of guards.

* I wanted money to be more important in the game so devices bought in one level carried over to the next.

* Structure was just like Thief: Intro, choose your level type, choose your optional gear, play level.

* The story & big reveal was that you weren't a human (as you or everyone else thought) but an advanced humanoid robot of unknown origin. Everyone lives in a large, domed city and the outside is supposedly hostile towards civilized life. The antagonists are proto-Pagans, eco-activists who think that the city bureacracy is lying to them about the true nature of the outside world. To hide their activities, they form a terrorist front that becomes a little too successful and that you are hired by them (without you knowing about it) to dismantle the front so that they can get away scot-free. At the end of the story, an unknown (and technologically-advanced) organization intervenes (think the equivalent of "The Keepers"), traps the eco-activists outside of the dome and the few witnesses to this event spurs the creation of both the equivalent of the Mechanists & the Hammerites (although somewhat different in motivation).

* And, before I get lambasted for it, I predicted "climbing gloves" before Thief 3 did (but for different reasons) and used that instead of rope arrows.

Anyway, there you have it. If that spurs some creativity or you guys want things fleshed out further, let me know. Thanks for entertaining my ideas and I hope that you found them useful.

For the Dark Mission, i will keep this paper for inspiration.

And for my experiment, the things you do and use in TDM will not be changed. it only will be a bit modernized to a modern-day theme (like watch dogs 1).

So the player is a human and doesnt get, from me, any mechanized legs or climbing gloves.

Like TDM we use 1 map each time, but if someone want to create a serie thats the choice of the mapper.

But for all the points, if you know somebody that can create this objects or there are existing objects, try to import it in TDM.

If this works, i will happy put that in my experiment (TDMIS).

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

This is much like what I'm working on, and I even spent a lot of time mulling over whether to use TDM or not. It was tough but I decided to go with an engine that was much more optimised in terms of LOD. We still do use Radiant, particularly DarkRadiant, as a core element of our workflow. But anyway, I have a LOT of materials (over 4000) that can easily be thrown into an idTech4 project, all urban/tech/scifi/industrial themed heavily influenced by Deus Ex. I believe indie developers should be trying to work together and it doesn't mean we'll be stepping on toes, because who really cares if we've both got a door texture or cinderblock wall texture that's exactly the same? I don't think the audience will care. I think the weapons and characters are more important, but that comes later. Getting environments (mapping) cooking first is the place to start, but that can't really happen without a decent collection of textures to work with...

LDAsh that would be a great resource for us. Do you have these collected somewhere online or maybe could put up a torrent? I think that would get some mappers started with something they could build off.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

To keep TDMMIS developement open as possible, I give you all readonly access to the "work in progress" folder of base-files of TDMIS:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4ms8lQXkym7YThOQnpiTEZSeTg
And we would like to hear your opinions about it.
Consider this not as the final product and use it at your own risk.

If you want to help/donate data please post it here send me a pm.

To install tdmis,

• Install The dark mod.
  • download the most current bin zipfile (title-bin_version.zip) from a download location.
  • extract the file and copy the darkmission folder to your the "fms" folder in the darkmod folder.
  • run TDM,
  • look at the available missions list
  • select the "dark mission" and install the mission.

To remove the dark mission, remove it from your fms folder.

For the 20170101 version and earlier, i use many placeholders.
for this version you can try the menu, credits and the play the tdm trainings mission.
Things that are changed ingame are the hud, inventory-list, small-objectives-list and the noisearrow.

Tip:

And to spawn noisearrows: open the console and enter the following line: spawn atdm:ammo_noisemaker

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Love the design from d3-map "Genetic".

And got the permission from him use this, in this experiment!

And so, i tried to open this in TDM - TDMIS.

It works, but there is much work to do. (like retexturing, relighting, add assets and other stuff).

Here are some screenshots.

post-13309-0-58460300-1483876989_thumb.jpg

post-13309-0-78791100-1483877001_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 2

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

And the map has many leaks. Have to repair this first, before i can make changes.

take a lot of time to repair: dmap, look at leakwarnings, remove the missing entity, save (repeat this for every error that dmap discovers).

(is there something to automate this?)

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

How about setting borders around things.

Instead of something get lighted up, it gets a frame around it?

(do somebody know howto set a frame on things that are frobable?)

Like doors or just everything?

Wip 20170115

Added a border to the grid.

Changed background of mainmenu.

added a option to show portals.

post-13309-0-37232700-1484514156_thumb.jpg

post-13309-0-83610900-1484515095_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick status update:

I found some great D3-mods to take inspiration/code/objects from. (like blade yauta and phantasm and d3 evolution)

Trying to get modern weapons to work on my fm. (see screenshot)

Changed the console background. (just for fun)

Changed Menu background and font.

Give the weapon/inventory a border.

post-13309-0-66714900-1485708339_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

First of all, allow me to slap myself for having missed this thread for so long. I was just linked to it, and I sure as heck am interested in all of this!

To bring everyone up to date on my own plans, in case they haven't seen my other threads on the matter: I've been planning for over an year to create a full mod for TDM, that introduces a high quality framework and asset pack for creating futuristic cyberpunk FM's, inspired by the look and feel of the first DeusEx game which I very much love. The plan is to achieve equal or greater quality to vanilla TDM, in terms of both quality and quantity. It will obviously be a huge amount of work, but since I plan to use freely licensed assets available on the internet most effort will be on conversion and porting.

Here's my official planning and feedback thread with more details.

Back to the project being discussed in this topic: I was not aware that something like this was already in the works until a few minutes ago. It definitely looks like it's trying to achieve the same goals as my initial plan, and doing quite remarkably so far! Since one such project will be difficult enough as it is, I'm definitely considering a combination between it and what freyk showed us so far. That will however depend on how compatible my idea is with what's being done here.

Things to keep in mind about that: Just like vanilla TDM, I want my mod to ultimately be of AAA quality... meaning only high quality models with high-resolution textures are targeted. The mod must work on top of stock TDM, without in any way altering existing FM's but only adding new content which missions can choose to use. Also, unlike stock TDM, I don't want any non-commercial assets in the mod as I find them restrictive and less in the spirit of Free Open-Source Software... therefore nothing CC-BY-NC-SA or CC-BY-ND will be included. Lastly, the assets are aimed to represent a period in the near future, such as roughly the year 2050... I'll be focusing less on mundane bullet weapons or computers, and more on plasma guns or holographic displays, as well as the familiar idea of augmentations.