The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex mod - like Dark mod is to Thief?

tefdal

As for your models, Mircea, they are pretty impressive and I would very much like to follow your progress regarding the process of implementing new weapons and HUD animations inside TDM, because thats always been an idea od mine, to play with a few new weapons for our player character. But the modeling alone takes forever for me. WOuld be nice to have someone who can guide you through the process.

Thank you, I'm glad that you like them. Still thinking of how to do weapons, and I will especially need an example of doing the definitions and the md5mesh and md5anim models of each gun.

Maybe Im mistaken, but my feeling is that the original artist(s) who created the hud weapons and animations is not here anymore. But it should probably be the same as modding weapons for doom3, and maybe there are still tutorials on the topic around the web (since Ive never seen anything about it here or in the wiki).

Edited by RPGista

Though I admire your work and passion, that you obviously dedicated to this, I agree with LDAsh about the sheer amount of work that would need to go into making a proper game TC in any engine.

I dont have in mind to create an big TC and its just a hobby project.

The project method that i had in mind, is quick and dirty:

Create a TDM FM Mission, (let someone) create one small map and combine existing scifi objects/assets of D3 mods and projects.

If this get more community-creativity support, then look at the next step.

This all, because i do/did not have any experience to create any assets or maps for TDM or D3 (only for unreal 1 engine games).

I started to look at idtech 4 games and several d3 mods and maps.

And found some gems that i can use, from like Blade yautja and Prometheus.

And combined/merge the things from posters from this topic (like tefdal, demagogue, MirceaKitsune).

Eventually this combine/merge all this in one project.

You would need to figure out a way of solving some action-rpg features that are not supported in TDM, like...

Im trying to integrate features from the idtech4-RPG Arx - end of sun

(a free standalone game using the idtech 4 engine).

My suggestion to you is to play Arx, read this topic trough from start to get the idea & status,

tryout at the stuff i already combined

And try to help us out. :)

You guys might want to check motostep's work, he was directing a new futuristic game using IDtech4, he used to hang around here.

Would you point his and Shadowhide work to me? I could not find any of his work on the forum or inet. Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Thanks.

Motorseps scifi project phaeton is cancelled, but the source for storm engine 2 is publicly downloadable.

I dont want to switch engines, because TDM has (almost) anything we need.

I will dig in the code, to see if there are any assets (like phaeton's weapons) we can use.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Are you planning on changing the footstep sounds in this mod?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

My version plans to replace all assets, so yes. I can likely find something that works on OpenGameArt or similar.

Yeah, I just thought what would it sound like to have different sounds from TDM and how it would come together. Both Thief and Deus Ex had great footstep sounds. Kind of a big deal when these are a frequent addition to the game process.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Added a keypad to the loginscreen.

The player has to touch-put numbers in, instead using the players keyboard.

(because in TDM the keyboard is for the players movement)

I have been looking for a nice gui-skin a long time now. But haven't find any yet.

Which cyberpunk based gui skins from theme-sites do you like?

(openlicenced skins coming from sites such from the kde store, gnome look, rainmeter)

post-13309-0-51327700-1497095447_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 2

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Status wip 20170618:

• Changed mainmenu music to an shorten-edited version of Partition 36 - Cyberpunks (thinking about remixing it).

(I would love to add some trance music to this fm, like Vibrasphere - Sweet September, but its not appropriate.

Because as what Eric Brosius would say: "Thief is not a disco")

• Found some great ambience sounds from duncan_avoid's album Cybernetics
  • Played a bit with overlay materials for the hud.
  • Arranged the hud a bit. (trying to get inspiration from systemshock 2, deus ex 1 and arx - end of sun)
Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Got the permission to use the following camera script from atlanten:

Thats a pretty cool alone in the dark / resident evil 1 style gameplay experiment...

As for your mod, great work so far man. Do you happen to have a roadmap of sorts, a guideline of everything you want to add and where. This I think would really help you and others to have a general perspective on progress and the final vision.

Edited by RPGista

At this moment i dont have a roadmap in mind.

But if you combine MirceaKitsune's plan with the things i already posted in this topic,

you get the idea.

I dont have a deadline, but i keep a "nightly builds" folder online, so people can follow/play the progress.

As for the architecture style, I was thinking about a combination of darkages & modern times/cyberpunk.

(to make it for the existing tdm mappers easier)

For inspiration, some images:

Xanatos castle from Disney's gargoyles

Eyrie2.jpg

YDdgW.jpg

castle_tower_noventa_by_dreamer_out_ther

The builders laptop (from tdm's wiki)

Builderlaptop.jpg

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

About those assets,

Would it be cool to use the office assets from prometheus doom 3 movie-mod?

Only to find a mapper that would like to help us, combine this all.

Images from prometheus, we can use

sunsetter.jpg

weyted2.jpg

vikk2_lg.jpg

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Well my friend, the hardest part is coming up with the assets, mapping is not that hard... However, it seems to me that those models are on the low poly side, perhaps a tad too simplistic. There seems to be a few smoothing problems. And the textures also need work, they are little more than a color fill, and maybe a normal map here and there. You need a bit of grime, some details, even high-tech materials need a bit of variation on the specular map to look more real and interesting. But, as a starting point, it seems good enough to go. They have donated their assets, have they?

BTW I like the idea of a future where medieval/gothic elements have made a return, something like Dune.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prometheus readme says:

this is just my interpretation of the movie in a custom game form and is not intended for any commercial use

and is distrubuted free of any charge. it's basically a digital painting in a game form, although a bit more complex.

-

all rights reserved by their respectful owners, no charge may be incoured in any form

by any parties at anytime from this game mod. this mod is free of any charge. no exceptions.

this mod is for promotional purposes only of its author and associates

for demonstration in artistic expression only .

I got his personal emailadress from him. I shall ask to clarify this, ask his permission and filter the content.

But i really need help for this one. So if you/are somebody would like to help importing them, please pm me.

Status 9-7:

Repositioned the hud again.

Looking for hudborders.

post-13309-0-77367600-1499625583_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

How about a quick test to so see if the assets from prometheus and blade yautja works in TDM.

(or create/improve them yourself)

Pick a room in trainingsmission and "Redesign" it bij filling that room with assets from these packages.

Make a screenshot of it and post it in this topic.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 weeks later...

For example look at the amazing assets in blade yautja:

in this short walktrough (from 06:00 and from 08:15)

(from 06:00 and from 08:15)

And those human opponents

Imagine that/them in TDM.

And Yes, this is possible.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 2 weeks later...

You mean that that would be permanently visible? Hm... not a big fan of the idea. Why would there be a visor anyway? The Deus Ex agent maybe had some sunglasses, i am not aware of them wearing a helmet, or similar. The HUD is actually due to a neuroimplant anyway, isn't it?

You're right.
I didnt find a good HUD (cc-licensed) (any ideas?).
So I thought to add a visor, to fill the screen to make it it more realistic.
And can use the one of the masked guard models for the player, that MirceaKitsune converted.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I like the idea of individual HUD elements only being visible when contextually relevant and otherwise fading off pretty quickly to leave the screen perfectly clean.

All of the elements could still combine to give the impression of a visor but even the ammo would only be visible when the gun is actually in use, including initially.

All elements could be invoked with a key, which keeps them active when the key is held and lasts maybe 3-4 seconds when tapped, but otherwise all fade away quickly.

• Like 1