The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex mod - like Dark mod is to Thief?

tefdal

It's a shame they chose to add Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil as part of the requirements for Phobos.

I know "why" they did it (cough, cough, shotgun...) but they would have many more potential players

without that baggage.

That also doubles the work to go standalone, if they ever decide to do it.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Have you guys played the DX1 Mod Unreal Revolution? IMO this is the most convenient approach for this project since not all FM makers will be able to pull those super intricate maps. Something more simple, almost minimalist with simple textures and emphasis in fun game play as well a good plethora of art assets to decorate and give it a sci fi feel (ie Graffiti, Neon Signs etc). This could increase the potential of more FM creation flow as well as to keep the congruence among missions since not all the mappers will be able to create something like that amazing looking Phobos mod and to focus more into creating situations and fun game play elements. Like I see myself trying to do missions like this since seems way less intimidating than the TDM or that Phobos Mod.

256fspg.jpg

2zizbcg.jpg

10dtz6w.jpg

2vb9dmq.jpg

2mid7l.jpg

Edited by Taquito.

I'd prefer making a cyberpunk TDM level just because I like sneaking gameplay, or a hybrid of sneaking & FPS, better than vanilla FPS.

I also don't sympathize with your characterization of TDM mapping as intimidating. The gameplay may be simpler and the layout or planning marginally simpler (really the only tricky part is you have to be thoughtful about the placement of AI routes & lighting), but just in terms of mapping, making TDM maps in DR is pretty great in comparison to other options out there, oldschool Unreal very much included.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Don't get me wrong, i love the original Thief's and also TDM, but, the ultimate dream for me would be something on the level of quality of TDM for Deus Ex. I've also been more attracted by cyberpunk/sci-fi settings, think Deus Ex, System Shock or Fallout, than i was by middle age settings (even though i like those too, especially when there's some kind of steampunk involved like in Thief).

I'd really prefer a more modern engine than the Deus Ex one, though.

Well the art direction of DX1 is Totally different than DX2 or Human Revolution and beyond. The maps in DX1 are current, rather than cyberpunk style, in fact DX1 art direction is quite 90's very X-Files, Terminator etc. The cyberpunk elements are in the NPC's, the Mechs, the weapons, the augs etc. Those are the elements that give DX1 the cyberpunk touch. But the Maps were pretty much current. It's like a vision of the non distant future from a 90's perspective.

On the other hand, Human Revolution and Mankind divided are completely different to DX1, more as in Metal Gear wanabe, like Deus Ex dreaming of Metal Gear. With the Square Enix Final Fantasy touch of two tier Cities and exaggerated landscapes as wallpaper, a more abstract approach rather than the tangible feel of DX1. Not to mention the distasteful piss look of HR, like let's use some winning formulas of Metal Gear and Deus Ex and let's piss on it to make it ours so we get some credit for the success and not all the credit goes to the original creators. Happens every time with winning formulas.

Edited by Taquito.