The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

The shadow of The Dark Mod logo on the smoke was especially cool, and the video starts off really well. The narrator for the most part does a brilliant job, only in a few places does his words trail of or drop in intensity (this is very minor). The only issue and this not a showstopper by any means, is the background track (Its a bit sedate, maybe because we hear it every time we play the game...). My I humbly suggest some others..?

• deviginti01_loop.ogg - this loops so no issue matching the length of the video (I played it while watch the video and it seems to work well)
  • deviginti02.ogg - this was used in the very first for the mod trailer, but its gets a bit loud in the middle and is over 3mins long (surround monitor video)
In fact you have made a number of very cool engaging medium paced ambients before, that would suit the tone of the video.

I tried quite a few different backing tracks (including fast paced ones) when I first started working on the video but I always found myself coming back to the current one as its dark, moody and sets a good tone.

But I will write these into my notes and try the tracks you suggested. Thank you!

One of the Reddit folks lurking here requested this one:

I would like it if he changes the "PC, Linux, Mac" line with "Windows, Linux, OSX".

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

In the Steam comments, I noticed someone asking for Spanish language support, which is not currently listed on the Steam page for TDM. Given the popularity of world languages per this Wikipedia article and assuming it's possible to edit the Steam page, I humbly suggest that we add the (already supported) languages Spanish and Italian if it's not too much of a pain. If only a limited number of languages can be listed, then I suggest replacing Dutch and Polish, again based on that Wikipedia article.

I also took a look on the TDM main website and in the wiki FAQ page and see no mention of supported languages. I think that should be remedied at some point, at least in the wiki FAQ. I volunteer to update the FAQ.

In the video editor I have already turned the ambient music down quite considerably and boosted the voice actor up quite a lot as well so I think in terms of balance it's fine, perhaps your audio setup is to blame for that issue?

I don't think I can improve this much beyond getting the voice actor to re-record his lines (which is currently planned once the script has been updated). I do want to cater for non-native English speakers though so I will work on adding closed captions which should hopefully help... and if you would like to volunteer it would be really handy if you could provide the german translations? as google translator usually does a bit of a poor job

Closed captions might do the trick here. And so you don't get me wrong, it wasn't like I couldn't understand anything, I just had to concentrate a lot while listening.

Regarding translation: Once the video is final I would be happy to provide a german translation. And yes, google translator is definetely the worst choice one can made (although it help to get the rough idea of what a text is about) :)

EDIT: IF you are planning to add subtitles anyways, it might make sense to ask other members for translations, too. I am not sure how subs are handled on steam. On youtube you can have different subtitles per video.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

After all, English, Spanish, and French is the big three.

That's not what the Wikipedia article that NightStalker provided says. :rolleyes:

And yes, google translator is definetely the worst choice one can made

Google Translate improved a lot through the years. I personally use it a lot to translate from english to portuguese and vice versa. It's actually quite good in this case.

By the way, sorry for getting out of the main topic...

That's not what the Wikipedia article that NightStalker provided says. :rolleyes:

Google Translate improved a lot through the years. I personally use it a lot to translate from english to portuguese and vice versa. It's actually quite good in this case.

By the way, sorry for getting out of the main topic...

Obviously I was talking about western culture, trying to stay within reasonable scope of work.

We got a badass voice over there (Goldwell) :D

Perfect Master of the Thief Guild voice :v

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Consider including a brief clip of shouldering and dropping a body as many people don't realize initially that's possible. Mantling also needs demonstrated at least once.

There already is such a sequence, though it's a tad dark.

Other reason for captions is that people can share it on Facebook, which initially plays videos without sound, and sometimes people just read the captions.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

In the Steam comments, I noticed someone asking for Spanish language support, which is not currently listed on the Steam page for TDM. Given the popularity of world languages per this Wikipedia article and assuming it's possible to edit the Steam page, I humbly suggest that we add the (already supported) languages Spanish and Italian if it's not too much of a pain.

Wouldn't it be more interesting to know of which countries the most The Dark Mod players originate? I mean... how much worth is it that around the world the respective languages are spoken, when close to none players of the game originate from there? I do know that south american e.g. doesn't hoard a lot of players of modern games, simply because the per capita income is low there, and many people are not able to buy a high end computer, which runs the latest generation of games. Considering that most of the spanish, or porotguese speaking people originate from there, it would make such a statistic pretty pointless.

Not that i mind much, just felt like point that out. ;)

Edited by chakkman

Wouldn't it be more interesting to know of which countries the most The Dark Mod players originate?

My post was substantially in response to having seen someone requesting Spanish language support in the Steam comments and the fact that TDM already supports Spanish (the 3rd most spoken language in the world) but wasn't advertising it on the Steam page.

Of course it would be more interesting to know from which countries TDM players originate. But lacking that information, the Wikipedia article is the best alternative I know of to support my contention, especially considering the ratio of "information imparted : time spent gathering it". ;)

I do know that south american e.g. doesn't hoard a lot of players of modern games, simply because the per capita income is low there, and many people are not able to buy a high end computer, which runs the latest generation of games. Considering that most of the spanish, or porotguese speaking people originate from there, it would make such a statistic pretty pointless.

As a brazilian, I find that untrue and offensive.

There's potential audience too. Japanese would probably be interested, and it's a big market, but the English level is quite low so they haven't been part of the scene.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I do know that south american e.g. doesn't hoard a lot of players of modern games, simply because the per capita income is low there, and many people are not able to buy a high end computer, which runs the latest generation of games. Considering that most of the spanish, or porotguese speaking people originate from there, it would make such a statistic pretty pointless.

Not that i mind much, just felt like point that out. ;)

Although, this is wildly unimportant, here is a statistic that probably reflects the number of players per nation and therefore language better: The country wide game revenues.

https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues/

This statistic actually kind of supports chakkman's claim. Sorry, Jon Irenicus! :-P