The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

half-arsed missions wont work, if files are missing then they just wont run, they might install but beyond that...

the worst thing you are likely to get is people repackaging maps into a huge long campaign especially if they don't go together, or plagiarising other peoples maps, or copying the original thief maps into tdm, so workshop is a kind of no without some type of vetting system.

• Like 1

On a Steam realated note, I have been getting a few invites on the Steam page from 'advertising' user/agents - I guess I should ignore these, as they look fishy -

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-02-06 at 13.15.56.png

Mate - with an account as a steamworks developer - a lot of the people who "friend" you in the moments after something is greenlit (especially after community announcements or guides) or they realise that you work(ed) for a studio or something (begging for keys) - it's not worth the time.

The best ones send emails, because they did their homework and found your mail address / etc...

It's certainly nice to get an ego boost and a "hey mum! and you said I'd never make friends!!!", but in the long run - unless they're a curator in a relevant "field/genre", track-proven QA or someone associated with a magazine [online/offline - in which case they tend to go the email or official forum route] - instant bin, mr. dude.

My humble opinon is to restrict the steam page and open the comments with a headline so people can ask questions there...

Groups work well for user interaction, I have found - they even involve chatrooms and can have link to discord/teamspeak servers for the real fans:)

Just my two pence.

Edited by teh_saccade
  • Like 2

Are you at liberty to tell us about how it works, or how far away a TDM downloadable from steam might be? Are there any specific problems, legal or technical, remaining to solve, or is it just a lot of "filling out forms"? I suspect I'm not the only one that is curious and/or eager ;)

I think it's fair to say that in order to get on Steam, Valve wants us to adopt a different legal infrastructure than we have had to this point, which may or may not work well for us. We're looking into it.

• Like 2

How is that even possible with the other free games? A different Creative Commons license standardized for the whim of Steam?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

The way the system goes, it might be best on our end if Steam merely distributed our updater, which people would then click to download it the same way it works now, although hopefully adding their servers as the principal mirror so they can cover the bandwidth spike.

But I imagine some folks complaining about that too, since the typical way is it installs it & you play from the dashboard and people might riot if it's not that easy for them.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You dont want that, because it creates bandwidth problems on the side of the hosts. (Mo users, Mo problems ;))

For starters, let steam host the base-package.
But i don't know where to host the fms.

Maybe at the normal place its hosted now, But Is this wise?

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Maybe at the normal place its hosted now, But Is this wise?

Yes, probably. Because this way the TDM team still has some control over what missions are released! I don't know what will happen with TDM on Steam, but I remember when Valve wanted to made mods sellable people started to steal stuff and I'm sure we don't want that. Just make the base game available on Steam and maybe add some more missions to the default campaign and keep the rest like it is...

Valve take their 30% of flesh...

+1 for the idea about steam primarily distrib. the updater, leading to download of game files (avoiding hosting issue) but allow launch through library, self-check, launch splash, game.

You guys change everything at least once or twice before I can realise a damn level that it makes sense that the game checks for updates before an auto-launch.

Freyk's installer does a good job with that, so long as it is a later version than the one it is trying to update... I'm sure it wouldn't be much extra hassle to launch straight after a check - many games have loading splash (skyrim, total war, every fkn nuplay game, etc) that hold players at a screen with an extra "YES LAUNCH THE GAME ALREADY" button to push.

// Such a screen might even be used for news and information, notifications about upcoming or noteworthy missions to select for those of us who haven't been hooked on TDM for years and religiously follow the mission list for checkmarks...

// perhaps even the mission installation could occour during this launch splash (like mod order loading for FO or warband) to avoid the "must restart to install zip file"..? Some real streamlining possibilities that might not be so difficult to achieve.

Edited by teh_saccade

Please do not place DR in the package... I'll have PTSD nightmares about being trapped in small rooms with thousands of haunts and zombies while being forced to read 20 page .xd files with every "i" spelled with a "y" for Oldye Worylde Charmye.

Most (decent) designers are used to UE or CE or something - some good things came out of the modding scene back when it was more like DromEd and DR (eg, tripwire) - but allowing such "creative" power to people who's attention span is that of instagram...

I've just regained my sanity, mate...

This will open TDM up to a larger audience, which will hopefully attract more players

and (in turn) more mappers or content contributors.

Edited by teh_saccade

I'm a bit surprised that you guys greenlit TDM, without having the slightest info about how Steam works, or how, or if you'll have to modify TDM to make it work with it. Are those infos not available at all for developers? A bit puzzled here, because it looks like you greenlit, and now you're wondering about how stuff is working on Steam. No offense.

BTW, it would be pretty bad if you only desitributed the updater via Steam, because people are used to be able to install games easily through Steam, and, by doing that, it would only complicate matters for the people you want to reach through Steam.

Edited by chakkman

I'm sure it wouldn't be much extra hassle to launch straight after a check - many games have loading splash (skyrim, total war, every fkn nuplay game, etc) that hold players at a screen with an extra "YES LAUNCH THE GAME ALREADY" button to push.

// Such a screen might even be used for news and information, notifications about upcoming or noteworthy missions to select for those of us who haven't been hooked on TDM for years and religiously follow the mission list for checkmarks...

// perhaps even the mission installation could occour during this launch splash (like mod order loading for FO or warband) to avoid the "must restart to install zip file"..? Some real streamlining possibilities that might not be so difficult to achieve.

That is a great idea! Turn the updater into the default executable that either updates or just continues to the main game. I agree with chakkman though that both this starter and the main game should be downloaded from Steam with only missions being downloaded from elsewhere, if you want to keep some control about them...

Edited by wesp5

I'm a bit surprised that you guys greenlit TDM, without having the slightest info about how Steam works, or how, or if you'll have to modify TDM to make it work with it. Are those infos not available at all for developers? A bit puzzled here, because it looks like you greenlit, and now you're wondering about how stuff is working on Steam. No offense.

BTW, it would be pretty bad if you only desitributed the updater via Steam, because people are used to be able to install games easily through Steam, and, by doing that, it would only complicate matters for the people you want to reach through Steam.

Would have been great if Valve had a document detailing how all this works BEFORE getting Greenlit, but alas, there's really nothing.

You submit your project to Greenlight which is pretty simple.

You get greenlit then all is revealed.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Would have been great if Valve had a document detailing how all this works BEFORE getting Greenlit, but alas, there's really nothing.

You submit your project to Greenlight which is pretty simple.

You get greenlit then all is revealed.

Is there no info on the net whatsoever? I would have thought at least the one or the other developer would have shared his experience, or how things work. Or bloggers, or games sites, or mags. Anyway.

Well, a quick Google search brought up this: https://partner.steamgames.com/

Ah, stupid me, i see now that it seems like you really have to be registered, and greenlit first to be able to access it. Well, that's weird. Thought they'd be interested in people informing themselves before they Greenlight.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1