The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Greenlight: TDM is ranked #1 atm.

Bikerdude

This endeavor wasn't supposed to be just about getting approved though. This is supposed to be about advertising TDM to new audiences and letting people know what a high quality project it is. That requires putting our best, most professional face forward, and that is not what has happened.

I totally agree with you, i didn't saw all the videos but at lest one should be reviewed and discussed if it represents well the game, i'm talking of the one of the person playing the training mission, i don't want to hurt feelings here and i really thought about not posting this but imo he was playing in a way that didn't gave a good impression, at lest to me, just my honest opinion.

imo he was playing in a way that didn't gave a good impression,

It's not the fault of the player...it's a training mission, so it's going to be pretty boring no matter how you play it. You're definitely correct that it's a poor advertising video. Even my "What is TDM" video that's there now is far from ideal, since it's four years out of date and refers to needing Doom 3 to play. Doesn't exactly portray us in the best light possible. But I guess that's the best there is until Goldwell finishes the updated intro video he has generously agreed to make.

I am unsure of how usable this is due to music (I know for a fact I cannot make money off of it), but it may or may not be what is needed, or a good model for what we could be doing.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

It's not the fault of the player...it's a training mission, so it's going to be pretty boring no matter how you play it.

That on the other hand is a problem of the training mission itself. There are other games that seemlessly integrate a training tutorial into a real mission! Maybe there is a suitable FM available to do this for TDM?

I am unsure of how usable this is due to music (I know for a fact I cannot make money off of it), but it may or may not be what is needed, or a good model for what we could be doing.

Very cool, but imho there sound gaps are a bit jarring. maybe just reduce the volume to a lower level of that synth track and raise the volume of the in-game volume in those parts instead..?

Very cool, but imho there sound gaps are a bit jarring. maybe just reduce the volume to a lower leve of that sync track in those parts instead..?

This is years old footage and I don't actually have the project files anymore.

Feel free to edit it if you can but it wouldn't be in my abilities to do so.

I may just make some new footage and do a trailer from that, though I'd appreciate new music if anyone has any.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

That music is very loud indeed. Bringing it down to at least -16dB would make for much better experience. You could use The Dark Mod music from tdm_sound_ambient02.pk4, it has a lot of good tracks to choose from. If you'll be making that again, you could do 2 versions, one violent, one stealth, to demonstrate the variety of approach, similar to Dishonored promo videos.

Edited by Judith

That on the other hand is a problem of the training mission itself. There are other games that seemlessly integrate a training tutorial into a real mission! Maybe there is a suitable FM available to do this for TDM?

The training mission does what it is supposed to do just fine. What it ISN'T supposed to do is advertise the game.

m unsure of how usable this is due to music (I know for a fact I cannot make money off of it), but it may or may not be what is needed, or a good model for what we could be doing.

This doesn't strike me as a very good advertisement either--it doesn't explain anything to someone who doesn't know what TDM is about, and actually gives quite a different impression than is accurate.

A good advertisement needs to be, in approximately this order:

1. Short

2. Entertaining

3. Informative

The traininig mission is great. Maybe a hint that it'd be best to play it first, when you start the game for the first time, would be a good idea? Would be a shame if people miss it, thus miss many of the gameplay elements and possibilites.

Would it be possible to make the training mission pre-loaded after install?

[...] it consists of boring rooms and corridors which don't do the mod justice.

Where? Nearly every room serves a purpose, and they even have built in secrets, to create more motivation to explore. I had a lot of fun in the training mission. Not sure what you could do so much better. It teaches you game mechanics very well, and is fun to beat. IMO.

It does? You mean one of the videos?

One thing I noticed about the pictures is that none show weapons, which is nice for showing off architecture/leveldesign, but for getting a first impression, why not show a sword, a drawn bow, fighting guards and the blackjack? On the screens, it seems almost as if the player was a passive observer.

Guys, I need your feedback on something. I was thinking about a mini-series of notes, fast Dark Radiant tips for beginners like me. No flashy intros, no voiceovers, just something like this:

With the whole Greenlight thing going on, I thought I might start this now, to get more people to use DR with confidence.

Edited by Judith

Ah, about the Steam release and 2.05.....can we eventually fix the years old problem about HUD and Menus stretching (for 16:10 and 16:9 resolutions) ?

AND for custom resolutions add a dedicated window (see the brightness levels one) to write down the customWidth and customHeight?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Guys, I need your feedback on something. I was thinking about a mini-series of notes, fast Dark Radiant tips for beginners like me. No flashy intros, no voiceovers, just something like this:

Thats bloody brilliant Judith!, I especially like the soft focus on the background with the sharp custom fonts in the foreground