The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 2.05 official introductory missions

Springheel

Two walkthroughs of A New Job:

(he runs into the frob bug but manages to luck his way out of it)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TDM Team!

Thanks for the 2.05 update! Absolutely loving the new first starter mission! Everything is pretty much spot on, I have a little bit of feedback for you guys.

Please note: images contain spoilers! http://imgur.com/a/twbGv

Regards,

Crowbars82 :ph34r:

• Like 4

My Autoexec.cfg contains seta g_fov "65" and seta r_gamma "0.9" for a more immersive Dark Mod experience...

Always expert difficulty every time... all hail the Dark Mod mission authors!

"Hmm, 'tis too quiet... I should summon the minstrel."

Ok, so first of all I thought I'd say that the new mission is awesome. Seriously, nice work! Had a ton of fun playing it, and I thought that combination puzzle was clever (:

One minor thing I found in the new St. Lucia though; there's a section of building clipping through into a hallway near the beginning:

vI9TcQf.jpg

It doesn't seem to affect pathing or anything, so nbd, but just thought I'd mention it.

• Like 1

Yes, that will be fixed in the upcoming update. It was a last minute error that went unnoticed. Glad you liked A New Job! :)

• Like 1

Beautiful little mission, the architecture is gorgeous

I also had the problem the the book & ring being unfrobabble when the desk was open & the guy in room III was mistakenly called lord Rothwick when KO'd

Spotted a few other minor issues, you may want to sort them for the next release

The wardrobe in Room IV wasn't sitting on the floor

Spotted a couple of holes in the scenery

In the alley

leading to the hotel cellar door
newjob_alley_to_hotel_cellar.jpg

Sorry it's a bit dark, it's on the floor under some barrels in the corner

City gate

to the left of the guard in front of the hotel
newjob_city_gate_left_of_hotel_guard.jpg

Again sorry it's dark, it's bottom right of the gate

-EDIT-

Looks like crowbars82 also spotted the one in the alley, I must work out how to take bright pictures

Edited by esme
  • Like 1

Hey there! I also have some short feedback on the "first mission" :)

I loved:
- The mapping details, light setup / colours and overall graphics
- The mix between ambient sounds and music (even if the Inn wood creaking sounds were a little too loud)
- The conversations between AI
- The Intro sequence
- The overall level design

I didn't like so much:

- The non-frobable ring & book (I had searched the room for 10 minutes of any clues / rubies and then went out of the game to the forum just to find out that it should be frobable, which kind of killed the experience for me)
- "The bottle" (I threw it away in the beginning since I thought it was just trash and then later didn't make the connection to the bench - I guess this was a nice idea but is overall a bit risky to use...)
- The ending sequence was a little weird (guy in the back standing there too long in the light)
- The basement water supply should not be frobable for the player (it inverses the process when AI is operating it -> closing water, "wash" hands, open water, leave)
- The guy with the rubies was running in loops in his room instead of getting out for help when I awakened him.

Overall it was really an amazing experience, except for the frob bug and the bottle.
Love you guys! :)

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

It's a shame you got bit by the frob-bug. A fixed version should be released soon.

Originally I had the tap turn off by itself to stop the problem of it getting out of sync, but I got feedback that it didn't seem realistic that way. The more things the player can interact with, the better, IMO, so I'm not sure what the best solution would be. There doesn't seem to be a perfect one.

• Like 1

I have totally failed in taking bright pictures so I always modify them in my image viewer

Hi Oldjim,

If you get hold of IrfanView you can load up a DarkMod screenshot in that and do Shift + U (or Menu/Image/Auto Adjust Colours) and 9/10 times it will automatically brighten the screenshot enough for posting!

- C :ph34r:

My Autoexec.cfg contains seta g_fov "65" and seta r_gamma "0.9" for a more immersive Dark Mod experience...

Anyone wanting to download the fixes to these two missions can run tdm_update--it will pick up the fixed versions.

changelog here:

Mission 1:

* removed target spawnargs from the other two desks. I have not been able to reproduce the frob-block problem with the journal since.

* lowered grate near guard convo so it doesn't float

* removed caulk brush that created hole by stairs

* put player clip and altered geometry to stop player from mantling out of map behind inn

* removed incorrect name from upstairs sleeper

* lowered wardrobe to the floor

* added a little bit more lighting to two upstairs windows

* extended monsterclip so running Moor doesn't bounce on corner

Mission 2:

* moved building so it didn't clip through wall in the tavern

* added playerclip to urns in church knave so player shouldn't get stuck on them

* deleted unfrobable newspaper in tavern to reduce confusion

* deleted the double-doors by the priest's room to stop the pathfinding problems there

• Like 3

Just finished the mission, it was working as expected now. Great little mission, very atmospheric, and a nice mission to start off for new players. I also liked that

the newspapers, and placards explained the lore, and that there were hints about additional loot in the diaries, like it should be. :) It may only be small things, but, the smoke coming from extinguished candles, and the dust/light coming from the windows really add nicely to the atmopshere. Also the Inn was very well designed, and i liked the safe puzzle. Streets were great too. In the back alleys, you got a nice immersion of poor, or common quarters.

Nice showcase for new players all in all. I'm off to re-play St. Lucia now. :)

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 3

Glad you like it! :)

I definitely wanted to have it to introduce as much lore as possible--it's an intro to the setting as much (or almost as much) as it is gameplay.

• Like 2

I noticed that there was a minor update for 2.05 so I had another play-through tonight and have some more feedback.

This mission is really great, I am almost ready to reinstall DarkRadiant and have another bash at it again!

There was an issue where I collected the rubies but it did not unlock the objective, preventing me from completing the mission, and a few other questions I have and some hardly noticeable texture misaligns. I have left some of the previous finds in there that still exist and removed the ones that have been fixed.

Images do contain spoilers! http://imgur.com/a/twbGv

Hope this helps you guys! :ph34r:

Edited by crowbars82
  • Like 1

Thanks. Looks like there's something off in the uvmap of one of the models.

I'm not sure what happened with the rubies, unless you opened them before completing the other objectives?

I never finished Saint Lucia before now (since I couldn't find the entrance to the church that wouldn't hunt me down). But I have to say, THIS is the best TDM mission I played, especially after you made it easier. It has everything, the vertical design with the amazingly beautiful sewer section, including the lowest depths there that really made me shiver. I don't 100% like the slum section in the beginning, though extremely beautiful and detailed as well, it feels really linear. It would be awesome if there were two or three houses you could walk around or something. I also had trouble opening the crate containing the statue weep box, because I didn't realize I need to frob the lid for the lockpicks to work.

I small plea for the first mission before that: I had trouble operating the number wheels on the safe. Would it be possible to show the help text everytime the closet is oppened as long as the player didn't rotate a number wheel yet?

Also, I was kinda sad when I finished the three introductory missions. Maybe, would it be thinkable to choose yet another existing mission and, with limited work on it, make it fit into the storyline? :)

• Like 2

Maybe, would it be thinkable to choose yet another existing mission and, with limited work on it, make it fit into the storyline? :)

I think this is a great idea! Maybe each of the core TDM members could use one of their best standalone missions to build an official TDM campaign? This would shut up all the people claiming that TDM is not a game up for good :)...

• Like 2

That had crossed my mind since Corbin exists in a number of nice missions:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Thief_Characters

but their stories are not quite synced. You'd need to make a number of bridge missions and retrofit the existing missions

quite a bit.

If anything, I would say "The Builder's Influence" could probably be added to the campaign with very little revision.

The record retrieval could just be another task for Corbin to complete before the conclusion of the arc.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If anything, I would say "The Builder's Influence" could probably be added to the campaign with very little revision.

The record retrieval could just be another task for Corbin to complete before the conclusion of the arc.

With some modifications into 2.06 or it's going to be a long term goal?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Also, I was kinda sad when I finished the three introductory missions. Maybe, would it be thinkable to choose yet another existing mission and, with limited work on it, make it fit into the storyline?

Well, there is a third mission in the storyline that finishes the arc. The story is completed, and I finished about two thirds of the map. But I burned out before finishing it. Biker has added a few extra areas since then, but is working on Crucibles now.

If there were an experienced mapper who wanted to work with me to complete the 3rd mission, I'd be open to the idea. But I won't be going back to it on my own.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1