The Dark Mod Forums

You Want To Start Using TDM?

sparhawk

As for the tris that show up through other brushes: this may be a problem with your visportals. If your rooms are not properly separated, Doom renders all the brushes in your field of view, even if they are blocked by other brushes. Don't know if this is new to you or not.

Can't say what's with the other brushes being split up in too many tris. Maybe this is due to Doom's light scissors? Also it looks like the bevels may play a role, as the cuts seem to be aligned to the bevel's faces. Like here in the right part of the image. But this should not hurt too much as long as your light- and shadowcount is low enough.

Yes I thought it might be that too, but what do you use to block vis?? There is no hint texture anymore.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I thought it might be that too, but what do you use to block vis?? There is no hint texture anymore.

Don't know a thing about a hint texture, but perhaps this is similar to the visportal texture you have to use. Have you seen this tutorial? http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/visportals.php

For some reason patches that intersect brushes cause the brushes to be subdivided in this way. I have no idea why this is, as it doesn't appear to me to provide any performance benefit over leaving the brush face whole.

The solution is to convert the patch into a func_static entity to remove it from the worldspawn and stop it from subdividing brushes.

• 2 months later...

DarkRadiant can't compile maps by itself, because we don't have access to the map compiler source code.

Start Doom 3. Open the console (Ctrl-Alt-~). Use the "dmap" command to compile your map, or "testmap" to compile and run it. For example:

dmap filename.map

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 6 months later...

Hi there!

I've downloaded the recent version of the DarkRadiant (V 0.9.1). Great stuff! But some questions:

In the genuine Radiant, the is a Z-axis window, where I can set the area, in witch the brushes, patches etc. can be selected. I found this very helpful. Is it accessible in DarkRadiant?

As I understand, the DarkRadiant is an optimized Radiant for Thief-mapping. So there is no Thief like stuff (textures, entities etc.) Do you already have an idea when this maybe could be accessible?

What textures do you still need for the DarkMod?

cu, Ed

-> Live long and prosper <-

There is no Z-window in DarkRadiant currently, nor are any plans of implementing it. (Never missed it, but that's just me.)

The textures, models, particles and other assets are all subject to The Dark Mod (the main project). So, unless you're a Beta Mapper you can't use them. DarkRadiant works fine with the vanilla Doom 3 stuff though.

Basically, we always need more textures. Even more helpful would be properly fabricated ones, i.e. tiling, nicely normalmapped, proper dimensions, etc. Feel free to apply for Contributor or Beta Mapper status, if you feel you're up to it. :)

You can have a separate orthographic view that is from the side or front, and then just stretch it tall, but I know it's not the same in function as the old Z window. I personally don't miss it at all either, so perhaps you will get used to not having it.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I have played the crypt, it is a really great mission (it was quite creepy how those creatures always turned to face you... :ph34r: )

If you want you can become a beta mapper so you can start mapping and testing stuff.

Hi Norbik. I LOVED the crypt! :) That mission speaks for itself. I'll set you up with Beta Mapper permissions within the hour.

wow, i´m very pleased. I´m looking forward to be Beta mapper. Dark Mod is very great and i hope better than T3

• 2 months later...
Can anyone tell me why Doom 3 over the SOURCE engine and steam?

Because the source engine was ill suited to this type of mod and would require a lot more modifications make it suitable. The Doom 3 engine was better equipped to provide a Thief life setting than Source. The doom 3 engine will also be open source long before Source.

Can anyone tell me why Doom 3 over the SOURCE engine and steam? It just seems to me that the steam/source combo is much better for distribution of this type of project.

God, steam, please, nooooooo *a scream trailing of into the vast darkness of the internet is heard*

I _really_ refuse to authenticate to a remote server just to be allowed to play my bought (or even self-written) game. This path down lies madness.

Although a bit strange sometimes, this article from 1997 is still relevant:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html

Just think that we have progressed from boring readable to interactive stories now, and then think again if it is a good idea to let somebody else decide weather you can read/play a story tonight, or not.

Best wishes,

Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Can anyone tell me why Doom 3 over the SOURCE engine and steam? It just seems to me that the steam/source combo is much better for distribution of this type of project.

Why do you think that the distribution would be the primary criterion for selecting an engine? :blink:

Gerhard

Isn't Doom 3 available on Steam now anyway? Wouldn't this mean that TDM could be distributed over the Steam network, as well as being available as a separate download?

I'm not saying you should make it available over Steam, but if you could, it would probably help spread awareness of TDM.

Thief 3 on Steam + Doom 3 on Steam = Potential fans of TDM on Steam.

SeaBass%20Hale.png

Isn't Doom 3 available on Steam now anyway? Wouldn't this mean that TDM could be distributed over the Steam network, as well as being available as a separate download?

I'm not saying you should make it available over Steam, but if you could, it would probably help spread awareness of TDM.

Thief 3 on Steam + Doom 3 on Steam = Potential fans of TDM on Steam.

Doom 3 is not on Steam. Steam is Valve's distribution program/server and the only thing Id has to do with Valve at the moment is when Valve bought a full license for the Quake 2 engine all that time ago.

Just checked and it is available over Steam. You can get the Doom 3 Pack for $30 or Doom 3 and Resurrection Of Evil separately for $20 each.

Not that it matters though I suppose. If you don't want to use Steam I won't give a crap, and I'm sure most users here won't either. ;)

Edited by Mr Retarded
SeaBass%20Hale.png