The Dark Mod Forums

You Want To Start Using TDM?

sparhawk

It just seems to me that the steam/source combo is much better for distribution of this type of project.

Quite apart from the issues with Steam's authentication model that others have mentioned, why exactly do you think that the Source engine would be preferable to the Doom 3 engine for a Thief-like game? As far as I am aware Source has little or no support for dynamic shadows, which is a rather important feature in this kind of gameplay.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, not really. The Dark engine managed to work around that. The only Thief game with real shadows was shit.

Anyway, fuck the Source engine, if we were going to move the project anywhere, it would be to the quite amazing upcoming Crysis engine.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Just checked and it is available over Steam. You can get the Doom 3 Pack for $30 or Doom 3 and Resurrection Of Evil separately for $20 each.

Not that it matters though I suppose. If you don't want to use Steam I won't give a crap, and I'm sure most users here won't either. ;)

oh, I had no idea

I doubt that Valve would agree to distribute a mod for a third-party engine over their network unless there was something substantial in it for them.

Doesn't matter anyway; I think we'll manage fine with more ordinary distribution channels. BitTorrent, standard HTTP/FTP downloads, maybe a DVD mailout if some people volunteer to handle that.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I'd agree completely if I thought that CryEngine2 would ever be ported to Linux--or if it were open-sourced.

And lets not forget switching engines every 2..5 years ends you up like the Duke Nukem Forever project.... :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hey...

I'd like to try out some beta-mapping for TDM.

I know I'm a new face here... I used to be a member on the TTLG forums (still am, cypher628) and used to work with Dromed on both T1 and T2. I just downloaded the T3ED and am almost done running through Komag's tutorial. It's pretty different from dromed I'm still used to making everything out of brushes... I never got around to publishing much online but I could probably come up with some old screenies.

My e-mail is ckahn@videotron.ca or cnetrix@gmail.com.

:-D

Hey...

I'd like to try out some beta-mapping for TDM.

I know I'm a new face here... I used to be a member on the TTLG forums (still am, cypher628) and used to work with Dromed on both T1 and T2. I just downloaded the T3ED and am almost done running through Komag's tutorial. It's pretty different from dromed I'm still used to making everything out of brushes... I never got around to publishing much online but I could probably come up with some old screenies.

My e-mail is ckahn@videotron.ca or cnetrix@gmail.com.

:-D

Drop me a PM with some samples of your work. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm seriously considering joining this party. I can't use Dromed for more than 5 minutes these days without getting bored of it, meaning I'm getting nothing done! :wacko:

PS. I've never used the Doom 3 editor before, but I got the Dromed/Anim8or skillz! :P

PS. I've never used the Doom 3 editor before, but I got the Dromed/Anim8or skillz! :P

You can download our customized doom 3 editor from http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net

There are no assets included with the editor, but you can get a look at the interface. :) If you have doom 3, then you can use it to do some doom 3 editing. :)

Great! I'll take a look at it very shortly.

I got Doom 3 (3 CD version) I think I played through Doom 3 about 3 times since I bought it.

I'll let you know how I get on with it. B)

PS. Is there an offline version of your wiki available?

PPS. Fidcal, you made a tut for us nubs, awesome dude! :laugh:

Edited by Sluggs

PS. Is there an offline version of your wiki available?

Currently, no. Unfortunately.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I got Doom 3 (3 CD version) I think I played through Doom 3 about 3 times since I bought it.

Really? :ph34r:

I started to play it and liked the atmosphere in the beginning. I found it quite boring and repititve after a short time, so I played it through with god mode to see if it offers any special stuff that we can use. :)

Gerhard

I liked Doom 3 and played it twice I think. I just bought a used copy of the Xbox version since it's somewhat different and shorter (plus it has coop, if I can ever find someone online to play with at the same time), and I'm enjoying it again :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I am new here and firstly just want to say that some great work has been done here. I am a huge fan of Thief and feel I had to post and tell you what a great job I have seen so far.

I am interested in building maps for the dark mod. However it has been a while since I did maps for games, especially with Id's games. I do a lot of games programming in my own time but I would like to take part in building maps for the dark mod. The last time I built maps was for quake 1 and quake 2 (Worldcraft and Qed respectively) and as a 15 year old kid at the time I wasn't half bad at it either.The downside was I had no internet connection, so I couldn't upload them.

I did a brief search on the net for Doom 3 editors but I am not sure what the best tool is. This may be a repeat to many posts in this forum, but any advice to put me in the right track would be awesome.

Keep up the good work. I bought Doom3 a few days ago to be prepared for this project!

Hello everyone.

I am new here and firstly just want to say that some great work has been done here. I am a huge fan of Thief and feel I had to post and tell you what a great job I have seen so far.

I am interested in building maps for the dark mod. However it has been a while since I did maps for games, especially with Id's games. I do a lot of games programming in my own time but I would like to take part in building maps for the dark mod. The last time I built maps was for quake 1 and quake 2 (Worldcraft and Qed respectively) and as a 15 year old kid at the time I wasn't half bad at it either.The downside was I had no internet connection, so I couldn't upload them.

I did a brief search on the net for Doom 3 editors but I am not sure what the best tool is. This may be a repeat to many posts in this forum, but any advice to put me in the right track would be awesome.

Keep up the good work. I bought Doom3 a few days ago to be prepared for this project!

I a going to download the Radiant editor, found a few posts above my original message. Again, any other help or advice would be good!!

Once you have Doom3 installed, you should be able to build maps using DarkRadiant. Just play around with the editor and the vanilla Doom 3 assets (I heard there are quite a few good ones in the hell/ texture folder) and keep us posted about your progress. :)

• 1 year later...
This is to Orbweaver [politely and with great admiration and respect]

i may be wrong but i have had way better luck with the doom3edit than the thief3 editor...i think it is more stable or something about the order things are rendered is better in doom edit)

may be my vid card being a radeon I have heard many others like me having trouble with the thief3 editor totally locking up a computer (requiring cold boot) just after doing a subtraction.

I did notice a great difference in the amount of LOCKUPS i go thru a day if I am careful to turn AI all the way up in catalyst and if I build al as per settings before i try and subtract ...like when I move some solid or delete it then try to subtract from it ...just as soon as I press the subtract icon the entire computer crashes and I have to cold boot ...when I get window back up I get a message about how the system has recovered from a error blah blah blah...

so anyway for me thief 3 edit is going to be useless if it continues to act up i am going to get rid of thief and just use DOOMEDIT (dark mod )

point being i like to make castle and medieval type setting or even Victorian settings but I don't like to make space-age mars metallic starship stuff...note my handle Medieval...Radley... I can't get inspired to create using textures like that doom has. Don't get me wrong I do like the doom game its pretty good too.

I need earthenware and trees and grass and "you want to go to the bear pits tomorrow …there's gunna be a real eye gougen… stuff like that stuff like uh oh I think …uh argh her comes another fit djfoaisd kljfojrofhasjlkfhajkdlfh…

I cant take it anymore please just let me have it I will be you best friend…

ps to the teem " please do hury"

how about using the saint lucia asseets?

u can do alot with thoose

=D

You realize that you are responding to a message that is more than three years old?