The Dark Mod Forums

You Want To Start Using TDM?

sparhawk

If you are referring to a crack or a so-called "no-cd patch" then that is something we cannot help you with.

Don't take it personally btw, it is just that we do not want TDM to be closed down because of cracks and warez, as it were. I'm sure you understand ;)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall ever needing the CD in the drive to play. Or applying a no-CD patch. Certainly on Linux it was never an issue... been a while since I used the Windows version!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

That's correct. You may need it for playing original Doom 3, but you won't need it to play TDM.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

To clarify further, you only need the original CD to install, never to play, either TDM or regular Doom 3. You USED to need the disc in the drive to play, but not since official patch 1.2 which made the game no-cd legitimately (no hack needed). The last patch (1.3.1.1304) continues this no-cd functionality

When you install Doom 3 you have to enter your unique CD-Key code (on the cd case somewhere), and then you can put the discs away and never use them again.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have my Doom3 installed on an external hard-drive, and so far I haven't had any problems playing the game or TDM mapping. I actually started Darkmodding without the CD one day without even realizing it, a nice surprise.

What I'm curious about is when I switch my hard-drive to another computer (which I'll have to do soon). Does the Key Code go with the harddrive or the computer? I don't have another computer that can run Doom3 right now to check. I suspect it goes with the computer and I'll need to reinstall it right on top of the old install with a new computer, so it just replaces it (or maybe there's a less obstructive way). It's actually not a big deal because it's so easy to just reinstall; though I want to protect all the stray files I have lying around.

But it would be sort of cool, in principle, if I could just plug my hard-drive into any computer and start Darkmodding right away, or if I want to show my friend a map at his place (or heaven forbid at work); I can just grab my HD, come over and plug and play. Then again, I don't know how often that would really happen, and it sounds maybe cooler in principle than practice.

Well ... when I get a new laptop, being able to seamlessly switch between desktop and laptop would be cool. (I guess even at worst I could just install D3 twice, one for the desktop, one for the laptop; it's such a massive HD, and I could strip out a lot and share a lot ... I'm just thinking out loud now, sorry; but it's an interesting possibility.)

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I've transferred my D3/Darkmod work folder between three or more computers in the last three years, the key is definitely remembered this way. A fresh install of D3 will surely require re-entering the key though.

• 3 months later...

Greetings,

Firstly, let me express how much I admire TDM. Since T3 it was so reassuring to know that "there are guys out there who make a huge effort to make/modify a great engine for all the Thief fans". Kudos and lots of respect!

I finally decided to give TDM a try. I'd like to install it and try it out. I read about Thief Den and Tears of St.Lucia maps provided to the community.

As I didn't find all the installation answers in this thread, I'd like to ask if I need to buy a full version of Doom3. OtoH, there is a demo version of Doom3, which can be installed instantly. Will it do? What else do I need? Any section of this forum where I can read about it more?

Edited by jericho

It's probably best if you start at this point here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Saint_Lucia

There is also a FAQ linked from there, which contains the answer to your question: you cannot use the D3 demo version to play TDM.

edit: oh and thanks for the kind words. :)

You can buy D3 through Steam.

See here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9050/

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax