The Dark Mod Forums

You Want To Start Using TDM?

sparhawk

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When doing brush work in T3Ed switch to wireframe mode. After you've Built All you can change back.

That also works, but I find the Flesh renderer easier to use since it provides all of the functionaity of the Unreal renderer (including wireframe and full-bright modes) but never crashes (in my experience, YMMV).

• 1 month later...

I want to start using this mod. I see you want some screenshots to us to prove our worth and value as beta mappers. Is this not true?

I just wonder does doomedit have a command to dump a screen shot

If so I would love to be a beta mapper and would post some screens of my little mission I am working on in doomedit right now. I have no old dromed stuff because I never posted any of it to the web and have a new computer. All the old stuff is gone.

Love to be of assistance if I could.

• 7 months later...

Quite possibly a very stupid question, but is there any (relatively) easy way to convert a DromEd level to a Dark Mod level. I wouldn't mind having to re-texture and re-code and even put in all new objects and all that fun stuff. All I'm concerned with is converting the architecture from DromEd to TDM. Will I hafta start completely from scratch (except from a conceptual standpoint) when I start using TDM, or is there some way to convert? I know similar things are possible with other programs (e.g. sibelius --> finale midi files) altough, admittedly, converting a massive three-dimensional world is a tiny bit more complicated than fudging around with Midi files. Again, I apologize if this is a stupid question. --Matt

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

There is no doubt in my mind that I am not beta mapper material, at least, not yet. But I do really enjoy creating 3d enviornments, and I'd like to think i'm quite good at it. In about a month, when I move into my new house, I'm going to be getting a brand new computer. (I havn't gotten a new one since 2002, so T2 is about the limit of what it can handle.) I have a really in depth detailed plan for a rather complex map that i'd like to make, and I would very much like to make it with TDM instead of DromEd. Would it be possible for me to get the lastest release of the editor so that I can work over the summer even though i'm not beta mapper material? or do you reserve the early releases only for beta mappers?

If I did get an early release version, how difficult would it be to do all of the landscapping and enviornment creating with an early version, and then transfer it to a newer version for the upgraded AI and such?

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

Is there any way you can get D3ed free off the net?

Or do I have to actually buy the rubbish game that is Doom3?

I have a long empty summer so I'm gunna learn how to map I reckon. Hammer was easy enough, shame it was so buggy and crippled my one map save...

Mind you won't it be hard to do something Thiefy with D3ed, being Doom and all? Are there any appropriate resources?

I said do I need D3 to get the editor. As in, can I download a stand alone editor programme to play with.

I am gunna make a few resources myself though. Those images I got from France, like floors and stuff, I'm trying to make some tilable images from them to use as textures. Done one bit of floor so far. One tiling tile.

Basically 'cos I've got nothng better to do and can't get D3 for a few days. And I've got some nice images on my HDD.

I gave a copy of them to you guys, do you know if you've processed them yet? If you haven't I suppose you might like some of the tilables, but they are probably wrong in some respect due to be me being a noob and all :P.

You can always download GtkRadiant which is free. But I'm not 100% sure if it looks for a copy of Doom 3 being installed either.

It will run, but you won't be able to do anything as none of the assets will be available.

I might buy Doom3. Despite the fact it's £17 in the internet shops I use still. I'll go into town and see what they have it at. Might have a special deal.

I'm liking making textures though. With a cheap digicam and GIMP you can make some fairly good stuff. Only I don't know what sizes anything should be, and know that they have no normal/shadow/bump maps. It's the old-school Max Payne style photorealistic textures.

Plus the fact there is a lot of old stuff about the house to photograph.

If anyone wants to see the kind of stuff I'm doing, messing about with, then I can email if you specify a file size in pixels and a format.

Edited by bob_arctor