The Dark Mod Forums

Best way to disseminate newly created modules until 2.06?

Springheel

Since releasing my module sets in 2.05 I've had mappers request new pieces, like corner windows or entry points that line up with other sets. Currently I've just been emailing these to the mappers who requested them, but something about that doesn't seem very efficient. Other mappers won't know they exist and either waste time recreating them from brushes, or modify their plans, both of which seem wasteful when the models are already made and just sitting around. My goal is to make using the modules as easy and time-saving as possible, and holding them back until 2.06 doesn't really work towards either of those goals.

That said, I'm not sure what the most effective way to disseminate them is. I could do the same thing I've been doing with the prefabs, and host a pk4 somewhere...mappers could then download it and put any models they use into their mission .pk4. That might be hard to keep up to date though, unless I post every time I update the package.

Another possibility might be to just post screenshots in a thread of existing new modules as they're created, and mappers could email me when they see something they want and I'll send it to them? Not sure that would be effective either.

I'm open to suggestions. If you're a mapper working with the modules already, how would you most like to get access to new ones from the same sets?

• Like 2

My suggestion would be to upload them as an fm, clearly stating they are for mappers purpose (something like "asset pack" for example, which would let it appear at the top of the list but implies it is for mappers). This way mappers could simply download the pk4 via the ingame downloader, and I think if you update the pack this is also shown ingame (not sure on this one, though). In addition to that you could post them in a pinned thread. This way mappers should be getting awareness of up to date version of your models once they are available.

On a personal note I consider it as very honourable that you spend your time in adding more and more moduls per request. I'm not familiar with modeling but I can assume that it is a time-consuming and not always enjoyable task. Kudos for that. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm not sure if u make it an FM if it's any different than just a zip file, either way it has to be updated and

downloaded. Maybe host it on the TDMs ftp if we have one, then you can update it as needed, make a thread in the TDM Editor forum and

make it a sticky, so then it's always there for all new mappers to find.

I'd love to see a tutorial in blender on your building them. I'd love to learn how to make models, so I can add to the communities resources. I have

heaps of ideas for stuff we need, but not the skill to make them, so a tutorial would give me a start.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

There is a question I would like to ask you:

Are these modules/models that you are creating made inside of DR, or are you using some other software to create these modules?

My models are made in Lightwave. DR doesn't allow for smoothing or other functions that modelling programs have.

As for the spoiler questions, the half of it I actually understood doesn't concern me very much. All games are made with a finite number of assets. TDM has the added benefit of being able to add new ones at will.

• Like 3

I think you are looking for something like this. It could also host models, prefabs and other assorted geegaws. Hell, it could even be a subweb of the TDM wiki.

It'd need to be set up and some light vetting procedure established (the Thief repo has been filled up with modern-looking and often pilfered assets by a notoriously wood-headed TTLG member), but it would soon repay the effort. If the asset upload were in the form of PK4s, it'd be a question of drag, drop and try to get someting into your mission.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Release more frequent minor updates to TDM with less bug fixes and features per version. I believe speeding up the release process has been discussed before.

It seems to work for Google Chrome and Firefox :P

If betatesting is an issue, you could release mid-cycle versions that only add modules, textures, etc. No bug fixes or features that could result in map breaking bugs.

Edited by jaxa

I can assume that it is a time-consuming and not always enjoyable task.

You have that right. :)

But seeing people using them to create cool things is a good reward.

I'll post in this space when I figure out what system to go with.

No matter which way we do it, it should remain within the control of TDM so that it can't be lost if some hosting site closes. Given

all the work Springheel and others put into models/prefabs I think they should be local. What about hosting it on the same place

where we host The Dark Mod download file?

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

No matter which way we do it, it should remain within the control of TDM so that it can't be lost if some hosting site closes.

Well, the new models will be included with 2.06, so they don't need to be hosted long-term. I was just asking about ways to make them available to mappers in the meantime.

I can do some research and see if there's an easy to use off-the-shelf type catalogue and download system. Otherwise we can use the wiki as a stopgap, but that seems like it would be clumsy.

I am the bat. The night is mine.

I think I'm probably going to go with a simpler option, so don't do that research on my account....

I'll post in this space when I figure out what system to go with.

For the time being I'll use a link in the OP of this thread: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18683-using-springheels-205-modules/

I'll update the package periodically and post images of the new models in that thread.