The Dark Mod Forums

Standard Rooms and Furniture

Destined

Hi all,

While playing Dishonered 2 this afternoon, I once again noticed that many apartments in the game are quite similar and when I thought about it, it occured to me that there actually are rooms that are present in each and every household. At the same time each type of room has some furniture that is very common for each room. So I thought, it might be a good idea to make a list of rooms that are usually present in different households, as well as furniture that is commonly present in each type of room. Of course, the quality of furniture and size of the room is strongly dependent on the wealth of the inhabitants, but I thought it might help some mappers to have some kind of list to turn to, when creating a new household, so they can easily see, if they forgot something or can get ideas on what to put into some of the rooms. I have started the list with these points (I put them in spoiler tags, as the list tends to get quite long).

If you think this is a good idea, I would like to extend on the list and later on transfer it to the Wiki.

Households

Low income/poor:

• Very few rooms, mostly functional
  • Should include kitchen and bedroom

Merchants/Craftsmen:

• Also few rooms, apart from
  • kitchen and
  • bedroom a workshop and/or a
  • room for selling should be included

Tavern/Inn:

• Kitchen,
  • storage room,
  • taproom,
  • bedroom for guests and owners,
  • bathroom (optional, may be exchanged with basins in guests' rooms)

Nobels:

• Kitchen seperate from eating room,
  • several bedrooms (depending on family size: seperate rooms for adilts and each child, additional bedrooms for guests possible),
  • at least one bathroom (toilet inside or seperate),
  • separate office/library, sitting room

Rooms

Kitchen:

• stove
  • working space
  • cupboard for cutlery and dishes
  • table and chairs/stools

Storage Room:

• shelves and hooks for food stuff
  • bottles (various)
  • barrels (especially in taverns)
  • various containers (boxes etc)

Bathroom:

• bathtub
  • basin for washing
  • cupboard for bathing supplies

Bedroom:

• bed(s)
  • nightstand
  • cupboard for clothing

Living Room:

• table
  • armchairs
  • bookshelve(s)
  • lamps or similar for light
  • other leisure time stuff (instruments, knitting needles, board games, stuff like that)

Office / Study:

• desk with chair
  • bookshelve(s)

Workshop:

• tools of the trade
  • workbench
  • stool

Taproom:

• several tables with chairs
  • open fireplace with armchairs (optional)
  • bar
  • Like 4

Oh hey, I'd been working on collecting some stuff about rooms for mansions, so I might be able to add some things. In the meanwhile, here's some stuff that might be relevant:

^ Of particular note is around 5:42, when he starts talking about the importance of showing off beds to convey social status. Private bedrooms are actually a very modern concept, which means that in TDM's quasi-medieval setting, it might not be out of place to see a bed and a dining table in immediate proximity to each other...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House#History_of_the_interior

• Like 2

@Bikerdude: Thanks for the edit! It really looks better.

If anyone else wants to add any further rooms or households, I will add them to the list.

Your very welcome, the idea was to kick start the idea - as you proposed of creating a wiki page with this info that new and experienced mappers can make use off. Once we have enough cohesive info, and if you have the time you should defiantly create said wiki page,

if you have a household that can afford servants and they live on the property, then their rooms would be of low quality and only the head butler, and chief cook would get a single bed bedroom, the others servants would have to share. servants would usually have rooms in either the attic/loft or basement, accessible via separate stairs from the main occupants.

• Like 1

I think it's important to mention there are degrees of wealth in each level of the society. Wealthy merchants, poor nobles who inherited a large house,

well off workers houses. It opens the door for creativity when these things are thought to be flexible.

Great idea. All the time I've been on the forum, I've been socking away info like this until I was ready to make my own level.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

if you have a household that can afford servants and they live on the property, then their rooms would be of low quality and only the head butler, and chief cook would get a single bed bedroom, the others servants would have to share. servants would usually have rooms in either the attic/loft or basement, accessible via separate stairs from the main occupants.

You are right, I will try to add information on wealth levels. I think this might fit well to the "Households" section, wehere we could comment on the quality and size of rooms. Or maybe a general "disclaimer" for each room would work, where each room gets examples for different wealth levels.

I will also include a link to the list of jobs I found on the Wiki, as this can also be of some inspiration to not only have the generic blacksmith and inventor, but some variety regarding jobs. If you can think of other jobs missing here, I can also expand this list.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be interesting if someone wanted to make prefabs of these rooms, with the common objects already added. Then the mapper could quickly drop it in their map and move/remove the models to suit their taste.

Or, just bundle the objects together for mappers to insert into their already existing rooms.

It would be interesting if someone wanted to make prefabs of these rooms, with the common objects already added. Then the mapper could quickly drop it in their map and move/remove the models to suit their taste.

Or, just bundle the objects together for mappers to insert into their already existing rooms.

I think we already have prefabs that cover most interior. I'd say about 90% of furnishing could be done with prefabs. The only thing I did not find right now (but I only quickly skimmed through the prefabs) was a bathing tub, but I am pretty sure it exists somewhere.

EDIT: Found it as a model, not prefab

Edited by Destined

I think we already have prefabs that cover most interior. I'd say about 90% of furnishing could be done with prefabs.

I don't mean prefabs of individual props, but entire rooms. So you would select "bathroom, poor" and it would already come with buckets, flies, or whatever else you'd find there. If you select "bedroom, wealthy" then it comes with all the bed models, curtains, wealthy furniture, etc. Saves the mapper from having to search through all the models to find the props if they just want something quick.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Some stuff related to this I already linked to in past years.

A well-preserved early modern town house from Wales, including period furniture and furnishings in each room:
- Plas Mawr period housing museum (Conwy)

Loads and loads of interior reference material in that one.

Some historical houses and other commoner buildings, and the architectural elements on their inside and outside:
- Video tour (in 2 parts)

A simple wooden medieval lantern you could find even in a poorer commoner house, as well as a wealthier house:
- Simple medieval lantern construction

Exteriors of some smaller manor houses or small inhabited castles I've recommended earlier for inspiration:
- Example 1
- Example 2
- Example 3
- Example 4

If anyone needs further historical references for period furniture or how rooms tended to be furnished, you can search for resources on this page. There's several good documentaries on daily life in different eras, and some show a lot of stuff about furniture and utensils used within various dwellings and houses. Same with small housework, cooking and other chores. (E.g. Secrets of the Castle also shows (besides castle furniture) some ordinary peasant cottages with their very simple furnishings, Tudor Monastery Farm has a whole early modern farmhouse, with about three or so still rather simply furnished rooms, Tales from the Green Valley has a stone-walled thatched cottage with farm, with ca 17th century furnishings. You just need to look around and there's lots of visual reference material on the furniture and living conditions.)

I'll just leave this here since it seems relevant

Also this video, by the same author. A wholly fictional castle, but he made the extra effort to lay out every single interior in a logical manner, with everyday operations in mind.

i noticed something wrong with the video, in medieval times chapels, churches didn't have pews, they were a later invention. People were expected to stand or kneel in the presence of god.

You're right. Those are a post-medieval introduction to churches. It's not that no medieval churches ever had any, but they were a very rare sight in the era.

Edited by Petike the Taffer