The Dark Mod Forums

Free Games

Destined

There are a couple of threads about games being free and most are free only for a limited time, so I decided to start one dedicated thread for free games to reduce the clutter of dead threads with only a few posts.

To start off, I just saw that Payday 2 is free right now. I am not 100% if this is limited by time. One comment I saw, said that it is limited not by time but number of copies. I am not sure. Anyway, as it is a heist game, I thought it might interest a couple of people here. And maybe you can find a group of people to play it with here.

Edit: I also just saw, that this game also has a Single Player mode, so you don't necessarily need a group to play with. Thinking that it doesn't have one was the main reason for me not to get it before...

Edited by Destined
  • Like 2

Given this community's love for Looking Glass-style games, I recently got Arx Fatalis for free accidentally. :P

I downloaded the demo data from Steam, but had to install the open-source version, Arx Libertatis, to get it to run. I've been playing it for the past couple weeks and the game hasn't stopped me from playing further, which took me a while to realize. I'm wondering if this would work for other people as well.

Given that the game's now open-source, you can create mods and compile the level editor yourself, which I figure is also of interest to people here.

• Like 1

Given this community's love for Looking Glass-style games, I recently got Arx Fatalis for free accidentally. :P

I downloaded the demo data from Steam, but had to install the open-source version, Arx Libertatis, to get it to run. I've been playing it for the past couple weeks and the game hasn't stopped me from playing further, which took me a while to realize. I'm wondering if this would work for other people as well.

Given that the game's now open-source, you can create mods and compile the level editor yourself, which I figure is also of interest to people here.

LOL !

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Hey there was somewhere around here a mod for Doom 3 that turns it into an Arx Fatalis inspired free mod total overhaul.

Don't have time to try it out but might note it to myself if anyone else here wants to see what's the hype all about and/or if it's better or not than the original Arx Fatalis.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Yes, that is Arx - End of Sun. It is now also standalone.

Any good?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Hey there was somewhere around here a mod for Doom 3 that turns it into an Arx Fatalis inspired free mod total overhaul.

Don't have time to try it out but might note it to myself if anyone else here wants to see what's the hype all about and/or if it's better or not than the original Arx Fatalis.

Yes, that is Arx - End of Sun. It is now also standalone.

Holy crap, how many open-source versions of immersive sims based on idTech4 are there? Next thing I know you'll tell me there's a Terra Nova one. :P

• Like 1

I check moddb regularly for d3-mods, for inspiration for the cyberpunk fm.

(because tdm uses its engine and its to me the most active one)

I have not found any immersive sims d3-mods there, except Arx.

But found many d3 mods/levels with a great atmosphere:

Like blade yautja (standalone), promethieus, Hexen, Phantasm -serie, grimm, ruiner and endarchy.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

There are a couple of threads about games being free and most are free only for a limited time, so I decided to start one dedicated thread for free games to reduce the clutter of dead threads with only a few posts.

To start off, I just saw that Payday 2 is free right now. I am not 100% if this is limited by time. One comment I saw, said that it is limited not by time but number of copies. I am not sure. Anyway, as it is a heist game, I thought it might interest a couple of people here. And maybe you can find a group of people to play it with here.

Edit: I also just saw, that this game also has a Single Player mode, so you don't necessarily need a group to play with. Thinking that it doesn't have one was the main reason for me not to get it before...

Heh, I feel like this is aimed at me making like 3 in the last month.

Good on you for this, though, will keep it posted.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

GOG lets to own games on GOG that you already own on Steam.

Not exactly free games but at least saves you buying the same stuff on the 2 services which is logical and common sense.

https://www.gog.com/connect?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=20170606_summer_sale&utm_term=EN&utm_content=logos

badge?user=andarson

Humblebundle.com currently has Killing Floor on offer for free. Not really my kind of game, but if anyone of you is interested. The offer is only valid for the next 21 hours, so you would have to decide quick.

Oh, it was meant to offend. I myself made a couple of these, so I thought it would be good to have it all in one place ;) . I will also post more, if I stumble upon them.

Just read this statement. I wanted to say "It was NOT meant to offend." Sorry, V-Man

http://store.steampowered.com/app/600420/Mob_Rule_Classic/
This is free for a limited time.

Humblebundle.com currently has Killing Floor on offer for free. Not really my kind of game, but if anyone of you is interested. The offer is only valid for the next 21 hours, so you would have to decide quick.

Just read this statement. I wanted to say "It was NOT meant to offend." Sorry, V-Man

I read through the typo, no offense was taken.

• Like 1

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Btw to anyone whom it might be of interest, if anyone still remembers the 2001 game called Black & White, there's a dude who put up a fully functional client, packed with the game itself, working for online play without the workaround of hamachi/tunngle: http://bwgame.wildman-productions.org/index.php?action=showpage&pagename=home

By now, having seen Lionhead Studios closed, Black & White is by all means technically abandonware.

​And I have never seen an alternative so despised in reviews: http://store.steampowered.com/app/232810/Godus/

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Holy crap, how many open-source versions of immersive sims based on idTech4 are there? Next thing I know you'll tell me there's a Terra Nova one. :P

We actually shared a few assets with Arx back in the day. Look familiar? http://www.moddb.com/mods/arx-end-of-sun/images/work-in-progress-july-20122#imagebox

Their zombies are pretty cool...wonder if they're available to share? http://www.moddb.com/mods/arx-end-of-sun/images/media-updates-july-20131

• Like 1

We actually shared a few assets with Arx back in the day. Look familiar? http://www.moddb.com/mods/arx-end-of-sun/images/work-in-progress-july-20122#imagebox

Their zombies are pretty cool...wonder if they're available to share? http://www.moddb.com/mods/arx-end-of-sun/images/media-updates-july-20131

You mean to borrow them from Arx? They do have good assets both in models, NPC's and sound design wise. Just like the original 2001 game apparently. Pretty impressive. Odd that there's no update from 2016 though. Seems to be stuck in beta thus far.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/113020/Monaco_Whats_Yours_Is_Mine/
Monaco is free to keep for the day, Highly recommend, fun coop stealth game.
Spread the word if you already own it!

• 2 weeks later...