The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Hangout! Chill with fellow TDM gamers

Springheel

No, the discord is to promote the growth of the game, and the community. It's not just
for us. It's a great place for new mappers to ask questions and get them answered pretty
quick which improves their chances of making a map, or assets and feeling like they've
contributed. It's not a special club lol.

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

2 hours ago, NeonsStyle said:

No, the discord is to promote the growth of the game, and the community. It's not just
for us. It's a great place for new mappers to ask questions and get them answered pretty
quick which improves their chances of making a map, or assets and feeling like they've
contributed. It's not a special club lol.

I agree. Whenever I have questions about a game and cannot find a quick answer via google, my first instinct is to search for a Discord server. You usually get an answer in no time. Being able to interact with the devs and give feedback is also way more common via Discord than via some forums.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I quit the official Discord after someone intensively argued with me that we shouldn't credit Grayman for Seeking Lady Leicester (but Black Mage was fine?). A few other mappers have left too after similar episodes.

1 hour ago, datiswous said:

Or apply moderation.

It's just my opinion but that just doesn't happen in TDM spaces.

I used to love the TDM discord - it was kind of quiet but it was mappers talking about mapping and players talking about playing. 

But the fact it is clearly a unmoderated space with basically no rules where itinerant weirdos can roll in and post transphobic slurs and then respond to mild pushback with a torrent of abuse in messages they then edit and delete, or post reams and reams of text in any channel that are completely off topic that all reads like it's been transcribed from the walls of a padded cell, or where the limited discussion about the game itself seems often to be about how it is bad (with some users posting over and over again about how they don't even play it), or as @Dragofer points out users who just want to relentlessly discourage and criticize anyone who is not a small handful of authors to the point they try and make issue not even with the work itself but the motives of doing the work, just makes the whole thing feel like a chore at this point to me.

It also makes it feel kind of like this forum. Which means if you are going to have to be in one in order to feel like you contribute why not just settle in here.

So yeah, I left.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
small typo
  • Like 3

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

2 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Are you saying this forum has this issue as well?

Not exactly - as someone like Kurshok will get a warning every once and a while and Nort will actually get banned here. There is simply more structure in a forum so it's a lot easier to just focus in there areas you want to and the ignore the threads you don't.

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

3 hours ago, datiswous said:

Well I think there's just one guy doing that and you can just put him on ignore. Or apply moderation. But ok, I understand.

Ignoring is somewhat inadequate as you still see other members engaging in a discussion with the problematic user, and as Wellingtoncrab says such discussions displace all other content within that channel.

Moderation is also imperfect as being unpleasant to engage with is not in itself banworthy, so there is nothing more to do if such people return to their old behaviour after a moderator had a talk with them, except live with it or move away.

I'd be more willing to deal with it if it felt like there were more on-topic discussion, i.e. thoughts about recently played fan missions or mappers showcasing their progress, rather than a stream of consciousness about a meta topic that may or not have to do with TDM. I guess the forums already serve the desired purpose, or they just compartmentalise discussions better.

• Like 4

I prefer the forum because it's more permanent. If I get an answer to a mapping question here I can still refer to it in six months or three years when whatever issue I had comes up again. On Discord it vanishes pretty quick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I think that a Social Network, like Discord, or much better Mastodon, Lemmy or another from the Fediverse is fine to promote TDM or chat with the user, but not for game related or developement issues, for the reason which @thebigh mencioned, for this the Forum is insustituible.

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

2 hours ago, datiswous said:

If only the forum software was more mobile friendly..

Of course, it is one of the reasons for the decline of online forums, since the advent of mobile phones. Forums on a mobile are a pain in the ass, but on the other hand, for certain things there are no real alternatives to forums, social networks cannot be with their sequential threads, where it is almost impossible to retrieve answers to a question that is asked. has done days ago.
For devs for internal communication, the only thing offered is a collaborative app, such as System D (not to be confused with systemd). FOSS, free and anonymous registration, access further members only by invitation, full encrypted and private.

https://www.system-d.org

C7ZhJn.gif

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉