The Dark Mod Forums

TDM NEW MAPPERS WORKSHOP

Springheel

As someone who is retired I have all the time in the world and I thought if I followed the video then it would give me the required knowledge to delve into Dark Radient in order to start producing my own maps.

Initially I am groping in the dark without the help that Springheel's video can give me and I am sorry if video is not going to hold my hand as I expected at this stage. My initial posting did highlight a problem I had and I thank you for offering an alternative but I would hope that I don't have to keep raising similar problems in the future.

I had been following along with Lesson 3 and had successfully used the prefabs up to when I had to select "mappers-tools" when I found I had no folder by that name in my prefabs main folder. See below

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM4NVKSqduYOU0Hcd7eaWbUpOPsionVHs6yMd1u

Try downloading the zip file again, and look to see if that folder exists in the archive. http://www.mindplaces.com/save/prefabs.zip

As for your image, I can't see anything from that link but a 404 error...I don't think the forum allows linking to google photos for some reason.

In the meantime, don't let that step hold you up...it won't have any impact on the rest of the lesson, and we can add it as soon as we sort out the problem.

I (finally) got around to watching the video, and I already have an issue. :/ It seems that the extracted files aren't in DR (and as far as I'm aware I put them in the right place).

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

Ok, try going through these three steps again and let me know if there's still a problem:

1. Re-download the prefabs.zip file.

2. Extract it into your main "darkmod" folder.

3. Set the "Engine Path" in Dark Radiant to your "darkmod" folder path.

I'm assuming it's the prefabs folder, as I don't think we used the models folder for anything yet.

• Like 1

Ok, try going through these three steps again and let me know if there's still a problem:

1. Re-download the prefabs.zip file.

2. Extract it into your main "darkmod" folder.

3. Set the "Engine Path" in Dark Radiant to your "darkmod" folder path.

I'm assuming it's the prefabs folder, as I don't think we used the models folder for anything yet.

Did this, still no luck. :/ I guess I misunderstood something somewhere. Maybe I need to reset DR? But I'm not sure what that means.

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

Can you give the exact paths of your DR-folder, DarkMod folder, and the extraction paths, as well as the DR setup under "File->Select Game...", i.e. "Select a Game", "Engine Path", and "Mod (fs_game)"? Most likely the error is somewhere there...

Ok, let's narrow down where the problem is happening. Exactly what file is missing?

1. Go to your darkmod folder and make sure you see a "prefabs" folder extracted there.

2. Look through the prefabs folder to make sure the file you're looking for is there.

If you can do both 1&2, then it's a DR issue. If not, then it is a problem with the original .zip file. Let me know and we'll proceed from there.

Springheel, on 07 Jul 2017 - 04:51 AM, said:

Ok, let's narrow down where the problem is happening. Exactly what file is missing?

1. Go to your darkmod folder and make sure you see a "prefabs" folder extracted there.

2. Look through the prefabs folder to make sure the file you're looking for is there.

If you can do both 1&2, then it's a DR issue. If not, then it is a problem with the original .zip file. Let me know and we'll proceed from there.

I think it all extracted right. Technically it's the not the prefab folder itself, but everything that was in the folder is there. :P But the files are all in the darkmod folder.

I think it all extracted right. Technically it's the not the prefab folder itself, but everything that was in the folder is there. :P But the files are all in the darkmod folder.

Sorry, I'm not following. Are you seeing this folder tree?

post-9-0-83526100-1499472098_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I'm not following. Are you seeing this folder tree?

I'm seeing everything in the folder, but not the folder itself. Pretend that "prefabs" isn't there and that you see it all under "darkmod". (Or "Darkmod" on my thing, but I can't imagine that messing anything up.)

Apologies for all this trouble, by the by. <.<

If I understand you, then it sounds like you extracted just the prefabs folder part of the .zip file, rather than the entire .zip file (which would have created the prefabs folder for you). That's okay. Just follow the following steps:

1. Make a new folder called "prefabs" in your darkmod folder.

2. Select all the folders that were extracted into your darkmod folder (or use the image in my last post), and move them to the prefabs folder.

That will at least get them into the right place. If they still don't show up in DR we'll look at those settings next.

No worries. This is exactly why I'm here. :)

• Like 1

If I understand you, then it sounds like you extracted just the prefabs folder part of the .zip file, rather than the entire .zip file (which would have created the prefabs folder for you). That's okay. Just follow the following steps:

1. Make a new folder called "prefabs" in your darkmod folder.

2. Select all the folders that were extracted into your darkmod folder (or use the image in my last post), and move them to the prefabs folder.

That will at least get them into the right place. If they still don't show up in DR we'll look at those settings next.

No worries. This is exactly why I'm here. :)

Far as I can tell that fixed it, thanks. :D

• Like 1

I'm seeing everything in the folder, but not the folder itself. Pretend that "prefabs" isn't there and that you see it all under "darkmod". (Or "Darkmod" on my thing, but I can't imagine that messing anything up.)

I had this same issue, but, fortunately, saw what was going on and manually created a "prefabs" folder, then dragged/dropped all the prefab-related folders from the '..\Dark Mod\' top-level folder to the newly created '..\Dark Mod\prefabs\' folder (like what SH said). Just adding a bit more detail in case anyone has troubles in the future.

Springheel, the prefabs.zip file doesn't have a "prefabs" top-level folder in it, so it doesn't auto-create it. The models.zip file worked like a charm because it does have a top-level "models" folder in it. See screenshot showing both .ZIP files when they initially open in WinRAR. As you see, prefabs.zip doesn't have a "prefabs" folder; and contrast that with the models.zip. (That's my experience, anyways)

Image in spoiler tags:

izB5n7T.jpg

Also, I saw you have a 'shapes' folder in your prefabs folder, SH, which isn't in the download. Did you mean to exclude that, or is it okay that we don't have it?

Thanks! Just going through the video now and following along; sorry for the delay. Been a hectic week. Will post more if I have any questions as I continue to watch the vid.

EDIT 1: After making the first brush (because Dark Mod likes it on a new map), do you Undo that action so it disappears, Delete it, or? (i.e., what is proper the way to remove it, since your map had a clean slate)

EDIT 2: My prefabs have a blue generic texture on them that says, "Shader not found"; unlike yours which show actual wood textures and such. Something I can fix? (I'm not sure if this would cause the issue, but I did have to enter a custom path to see the prefabs, even though I'm pretty sure I have everything where you said they should be. The custom path I entered is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Mod\prefabs". Otherwise, if I use the "Browse mod resources" selection like you it doesn't show me the prefabs). See right-side of screenshot:

Images in spoiler tags:

f83VpKr.jpg

---

0dwJrtd.jpg

Edited by Darkness_Falls
  • Like 1

Springheel, the prefabs.zip file doesn't have a "prefabs" top-level folder in it, so it doesn't auto-create it. The models.zip file worked like a charm because it does have a top-level "models" folder in it. See screenshot showing both .ZIP files when they initially open in WinRAR. As you see, prefabs.zip doesn't have a "prefabs" folder; and contrast that with the models.zip. (That's my experience, anyways)

Huh, I re-uploaded a version earlier to make sure it had the files that marcuskiwi couldn't find, so I must have missed the top-level folder when I did that. I'll have to fix that.

Also, I saw you have a 'shapes' folder in your prefabs folder, SH, which isn't in the download. Did you mean to exclude that, or is it okay that we don't have it?

There's nothing important in it, but it will be back in the updated version.

EDIT 1: After making the first brush (because Dark Mod likes it on a new map), do you Undo that action so it disappears, Delete it, or? (i.e., what is proper the way to remove it, since your map had a clean slate)

I'm just leaving mine there for the time being. The reason you don't see it at later stages is because the first time I made the map, I didn't start with a brush, and I got a weird error when dmapping that I'd never seen before. After digging through some very old wiki pages I found a reference to it and what caused it. I actually had to start a new map, make the brush first, and import the other map into it.

EDIT 2: My prefabs have a blue generic texture on them that says, "Shader not found"; unlike yours which show actual wood textures and such. Something I can fix? (I'm not sure if this would cause the issue, but I did have to enter a custom path to see the prefabs, even though I'm pretty sure I have everything where you said they should be. The custom path I entered is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Mod\prefabs". Otherwise, if I use the "Browse mod resources" selection like you it doesn't show me the prefabs)

If your prefabs aren't showing the textures then it means DR isn't able to find things that it needs. You shouldn't need a custom path. Make sure your settings in DR look like the ones in the image below, tailored to your folder names.

post-9-0-10732700-1499562191_thumb.jpg

My engine is pointing to the right path, I'm pretty sure. Have tried a few different methods in that box, too (e.g., forward slashes vs. backslashes in file paths). I will keep tinkering and post a screenshot soon if I can't get it. I wonder if it's because my folder has a hard space in it ("Dark Mod") instead of "darkmod"... or because my path is in the Program Files folder. When I installed Dark Mod a while back, I seem to recall installation recommendations to not put it in Program Files(?), or something like that. Hopefully neither of these things are coming back to haunt me ;)

EDIT: I'm dumb. I didn't change the "Select a Game" field to "The Dark Mod 2.0 (Standalone)". All is well... prefabs work now!

I just didn't notice before that you changed the drop-down selection in the video.

bs3n9cv.jpg

PS: In case others aren't sure how to make a "YZ SIde" view in DR since there doesn't seem to be a menu selection for it, I'm pretty sure I had an 'XY Top' window already in existence in my work area and then selected "View > New XY view" from the top menu of DR and it auto-created the YZ Side view.

PPS: At 18:00 of Part 3 vid, you say to click to select the floor and ceiling. I can't select anything, though. Will keep trying and researching until I figure it out. Please post answer if anyone knows the answer to this, though.

Update: Got it! SHIFT + ALT + LMB. From the A-Z guide:

Selecting and DEselecting

We only have one item in our view but eventually many. Operations only work on what is currently selected. When you have just created something as we just have it is automatically the current selection and should be highlighted in your views (see DR Preferences for colour.)

• To DEselect it, point your mouse at it in either the grid or camera view and use SHIFT+ALT+24px-Left_mouse_button_2d.png (or just press the Esc key.)
  • To select it again, point your mouse at it and use SHIFT+ALT+24px-Left_mouse_button_2d.png again.

Selecting is something you'll do a lot of so get familiar with that SHIFT+ALT+24px-Left_mouse_button_2d.png. It's an exclusive select to get just one item. There are other selects I'll describe later. The Esc key always deselects and it is vitally important to get into the habit of DEselecting before you select or create something new or in some cases you will have multiple selections without knowing it and can delete or change something you didn't want to. This is why the SHIFT+ALT+24px-Left_mouse_button_2d.png is the safest select as it is exclusive and will automatically DEselect anything else that was left selected. But it won't protect an item when creating. Yes, it is possible to have say a brush selected, forget it is selected, then create say, a new light. Oh! what happened to the brush? It's gone - replaced by the light. Develop a nervous habit of keep hitting Esc to deselect when you go to create!

From now on I'll use LMB, MMB, and RMB to refer to the mouse buttons.

When I encounter problems in the future, I'll try to research a bit more on my own going forward so I don't clutter the thread; but I was hoping to help others avoid or solve issues if they come across the same -- and come to solutions quicker, I suppose. Maybe my experiences will help you see how 'rookie' some of us are, though ;) If you're remotely in doubt on if we know something already, go ahead and point it out anyways (in my opinion). And some things may be helpful to repeat once or twice, even if mentioned before or if it exists in the Wiki/A-Z guide. So far, I'm diggin' this video and the training, and can't wait to dive into the player's view of this prefab map. (*DF goes back to watching the rest of the video...*)

FYI - The audio gets out of sync with the video by several seconds starting at about 25:40

Edited by Darkness_Falls
  • Like 1

When I encounter problems in the future, I'll try to research a bit more on my own going forward so I don't clutter the thread; but I was hoping to help others avoid or solve issues if they come across the same -- and come to solutions quicker, I suppose.

Going to the wiki is a good idea, though I'm hoping to make the tutorials comprehensive enough that it's not a requirement. It's hard to remember everything that needs to be said during the creation process though. :)

FYI - The audio gets out of sync with the video by several seconds starting at about 25:40

Thanks, not sure how that happened. I'd like to have the best versions possible up for posterity, so I'll go back and make some corrections.

Going to the wiki is a good idea, though I'm hoping to make the tutorials comprehensive enough that it's not a requirement. It's hard to remember everything that needs to be said during the creation process though. :)

Seconded. Once you are familiar with the basics you take a lot of stuff for granted, which isn't. However, learning to work with other sources and trying to find solutions on your own is an important skill, not only in mapping.

An idea that just comes to my mind is that if there are enough persons who release a mission due to this tutorial, it might be worthwhile to consider a contest. There will probably some gems among those missions and this might be a motivating thing. Or not, just an idea. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks, not sure how that happened. I'd like to have the best versions possible up for posterity, so I'll go back and make some corrections.

Awesome. If you go back to update this vid, then, I'd definitely recommend adding a red arrow that points to the "Doom 3" drop-down menu, to help prompt us to select TDM.

With the audio out-of-sync, it became markedly more difficult to follow, but not impossible. If you sync the audio up, it'll help a lot when others view this tutorial in the future.

A few more notes about my experience with this part of the series. Take it for what it's worth, or feel free to further enhance the video or address in future vids, as you see fit:

• When I made the brush and clicked back and forth between "Hollow" and "Room" (like you did in the vid) to try and see the difference, the brush seemed to disappear.. so I hit 'Undo' a few times to get back to the Hollow one, but the brush was now black outline instead of red (a de-selected state). So, I gave up on that and moved on (didn't know how to re-select it)
  • I accidentally made my first brush (the hollow brush) too small/tight relative to the room; the floor (or room?, can't remember which) went lower than the brush's top boundary. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to re-select the entire brush and make it bigger. SHIFT+LMB'ing kept only selecting individual pieces of the brush (couldn't get it all), and selection attempts sometimes grabbed the room, too. So I gave that up. And I also couldn't select just the room and make it smaller as an alternative (didn't know how). I ended up just drawing a new brush bigger than the old one.
  • I have a habit of saving often in programs, so I did so early in this tutorial and continued to do so a couple more times while advancing. Because it's easy for newcomers to back themselves into a corner and not know how to get out of it, I recommend encouraging a save earlier in this video, like after a step or two is complete; and continued saves and periodic iterative saves (e.g., _v001, _v002) through the process... or whatever you want to say about it. It helped me once or twice, because when I screwed up, I just re-loaded to what I felt was a good save.
  • How often does DarkRadiant crash? I never had an issue, but this can help us know how often to save. (I see DR has an auto-save feature. A quick blurb about its use and reliability at some point, even if Ep. 4 or beyond, would be cool.)
  • I had a leak when I did a "dmap firstmap" my first time. Since the audio was out-of-sync in this Ep. 3 vid, I continued to do a "map firstmap" in console rather than exiting and going back to DR. As you might guess, my map didn't load. So, I went back to DR and did a pointfile and my ceiling appeared to be gone for some reason. It may have been gone before doing the pointfile command, but not sure. (My AI entity may have been gone, too, but I can't say for sure, since I know there is a filter for that.) Any thoughts on why my ceiling disappeared? Was it because I did a "map firstmap" after the console told me about the leak, when I should have instead exited? I just made a new ceiling and called it good, so I could see my craftsmanship in-game ;)
  • I'm not sure what this item is without a shader or when it got in my map (see screenshot), but it was in my map most of the time while authoring. I thought it was my light, but learned it wasn't. I think it caused errors when I tried to run my map, so I deleted it.

post-36-0-09039300-1499624020_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darkness_Falls
  • Like 1

• When I made the brush and clicked back and forth between "Hollow" and "Room" (like you did in the vid) to try and see the difference, the brush seemed to disappear.. so I hit 'Undo' a few times to get back to the Hollow one, but the brush was now black outline instead of red (a de-selected state). So, I gave up on that and moved on (didn't know how to re-select it)
  • I accidentally made my first brush (the hollow brush) too small/tight relative to the room; the floor (or room?, can't remember which) went lower than the brush's top boundary. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to re-select the entire brush and make it bigger. SHIFT+LMB'ing kept only selecting individual pieces of the brush (couldn't get it all), and selection attempts sometimes grabbed the room, too. So I gave that up. And I also couldn't select just the room and make it smaller as an alternative (didn't know how). I ended up just drawing a new brush bigger than the old one.

When you use the "hollow" function, your brush is deleted and replaced by the new ones. This is why it is deselected, when you "undo". You can simply re-select it with shift+LMB or shift+alt+LMB.

Resizing a room is rather cumbersome. You will have to move one wall and resize four other walls accordingly. An example: Let's say, you want to expand the room towards the east. First you will have to select and move the eastern wall. Then you have to select the floor, the ceiling, the northern wall, and the southern wall and resize them eastward until they reach the moved eastern wall. It is usually easier to simply undo the whole thing, re-select the brush, resize it and use the "hollow" function again. Regarding the selection: While pressing shift+LMB any brush and/or entity that you touch with the field you draw gets selected. The problem is: When you in your view window, if two brushes lay over one another, only the uppermost gets selected. I usually use the 3D view to select walls, as you can simply move into the room and turn around to select what you need.

• How often does DarkRadiant crash? I never had an issue, but this can help us know how often to save. (I see DR has an auto-save feature. A quick blurb about its use and reliability at some point, even if Ep. 4 or beyond, would be cool.)

That strongly depends. With Windows and a reasonably strong PC you should not have any problems. I myself experience crashes only extremely seldom.

• I had a leak when I did a "dmap firstmap" my first time. Since the audio was out-of-sync in this Ep. 3 vid, I continued to do a "map firstmap" in console rather than exiting and going back to DR. As you might guess, my map didn't load. So, I went back to DR and did a pointfile and my ceiling appeared to be gone for some reason. It may have been gone before doing the pointfile command, but not sure. (My AI entity may have been gone, too, but I can't say for sure, since I know there is a filter for that.) Any thoughts on why my ceiling disappeared? Was it because I did a "map firstmap" after the console told me about the leak, when I should have instead exited? I just made a new ceiling and called it good, so I could see my craftsmanship in-game ;)

The most likely explanation in my opinion is that you deleted an entity/brush and accidentally still had selected the roof, so it too got deleted. One good thing about DR is: You can "undo" stuff even before any saves you made, as long as DR was not closed. So, if you save your map and test it and get any errors, you can simply "undo" stuff and may catch the action that has caused the error. You will develop an eye for possible errors :)

• I'm not sure what this item is without a shader or when it got in my map (see screenshot), but it was in my map most of the time while authoring. I thought it was my light, but learned it wasn't. I think it caused errors when I tried to run my map, so I deleted it.

I would guess this brush is the one, you inserted at the very first. If you have not used any materials and create brushes, they will start off with a "shader not found" texture. If you accidentally put it there, it should be no problem to simply delete it.

An idea that just comes to my mind is that if there are enough persons who release a mission due to this tutorial, it might be worthwhile to consider a contest. There will probably some gems among those missions and this might be a motivating thing. Or not, just an idea. :)

For me, I'm afraid to say that a competition would not be a motivating factor at all. I plan to do what was recommended at the start of this workshop: keep things small and manageable; and for me, probably even simple or simplistic. (I'll only increase complexity if I have time and the will to do so.) If it became a competition, it might turn some people away because they'd feel their efforts aren't good enough or don't measure up to some awesome standard. Some will have more time than others to work on their maps, too, which could further alienate those who don't have as much time to dedicate. I think the workshop aims to simply teach us how to make maps and I just fear a competition could be detrimental and counter-productive to that goal. That's just my personal sense, though. If it becomes a competition, I know that I'm not changing anything I plan to do ;)

EDIT: Thank you, Destined! Good advice. You're probably correct in that the non-shaded object was probably the initial brush I created, since I think SH said to just leave it in. At some point, it's okay to delete, right? Because I did and the map worked ;)

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Awesome. If you go back to update this vid, then, I'd definitely recommend adding a red arrow that points to the "Doom 3" drop-down menu, to help prompt us to select TDM.

With the audio out-of-sync, it became markedly more difficult to follow, but not impossible. If you sync the audio up, it'll help a lot when others view this tutorial in the future.

A few more notes about my experience with this part of the series. Take it for what it's worth, or feel free to further enhance the video or address in future vids, as you see fit:

• I have a habit of saving often in programs, so I did so early in this tutorial and continued to do so a couple more times while advancing. Because it's easy for newcomers to back themselves into a corner and not know how to get out of it, I recommend encouraging a save earlier in this video, like after a step or two is complete; and continued saves and periodic iterative saves (e.g., _v001, _v002) through the process... or whatever you want to say about it. It helped me once or twice, because when I screwed up, I just re-loaded to what I felt was a good save.

I uploaded a new version before seeing this post, so not everything was addressed. I did add a note about how to select brushes, so that should help. Some of the things you mentioned I'm already addressing in the next video. I think Destined has already provided good answers to the rest of the questions.