The Dark Mod Forums

I'm working on a VR version - early alpha

cabalistic

Here's how this scene looks to me on a GT 640.

Can you attach your .cfg?

@Nbohre1more, how does it look for you?

I'm seeing the same thing Cabalistic sees.

With the "Enhanced Ambient" there is flickering and blown-out highlights. With the "Simple Ambient" everything looks just about identical to the ARB path.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

With the "Enhanced Ambient" there is flickering and blown-out highlights. With the "Simple Ambient" everything looks just about identical to the ARB path.

I brought the enhanced ambient glsl to the same color vertex method. Please test.

I will try to look later today at the difference between arb & glsl ambients.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, I've experimented a bit with glMapBufferRange. Changing the frame temp allocs in the VertexCache to that method is straight-forward enough, but it doesn't seem to have any noticable effect. The problem, though, is that the engine also does a lot of "static" vertexcache allocations which are regularly freed again. The BFG engine doesn't even support freeing static vertexcache allocations, allowing it to do all static allocations on a single big vbo, which I'm sure would speed up the engine quite a bit. Unfortunately, the changes to support that are quite significant, and I don't think they are straight-forward to port. But I'll probably try, anyway.

• Like 2

GLSL ambient shader: ported from ARB minus fresnel

• Like 2

Meanwhile, I've experimented a bit with glMapBufferRange. Changing the frame temp allocs in the VertexCache to that method is straight-forward enough, but it doesn't seem to have any noticable effect.

Make sure that you're rendering a scene that is driver limited: GPU usage < 90%, r_showSmp is printing mostly dots.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, I've experimented a bit with glMapBufferRange. Changing the frame temp allocs in the VertexCache to that method is straight-forward enough, but it doesn't seem to have any noticable effect.

Try the wine cellar in Caduceus of St Alban. I'm playing this mission right now and the shadow calculation of the bottle stand and 2 nearby lights, plus the wobblesky texgens, is putting my Intel on its knees.

• Like 1

This is my go-to stress test scene from Rightful Property:

post-3763-0-40647300-1497586062.jpg

...but it hits both the CPU and GPU, thus the threading patch is pretty beneficial here.

I'm struggling to think of a purely GPU bound scene since shadows are the biggest impact and they provoke skinning operations

on the CPU. Maybe the Cabin with all the fog particles in the 2nd part of Down by the Riverside?

• Like 1

It isn't. It happens before the main render on the main thread, while the frontend thread is idling. So basically, it's running exclusively.

Hm, unless it's accessing buffers that the frontend wrote to and are still syncing? That's the only thing I could think of...

Do the crashes go away if you disable com_smp?

Edited by cabalistic
  • Like 1

It isn't. It happens before the main render on the main thread, while the frontend thread is idling. So basically, it's running exclusively.

Hm, unless it's accessing buffers that the frontend wrote to and are still syncing? That's the only thing I could think of...

Do the crashes go away if you disable com_smp?

Not sure when I can test that, maybe not for a few weeks.

But think about this: at the time of lightgem's CaptureRenderToBuffer where is the lightgem draw command - in the frame that the backend has just completed rendering or in the frame that the frontend has prepared for the next backend run?

• Like 1

Not sure when I can test that, maybe not for a few weeks.

But think about this: at the time of lightgem's CaptureRenderToBuffer where is the lightgem draw command - in the frame that the backend has just completed rendering or in the frame that the frontend has prepared for the next backend run?

In the one the backend was just using before, but already reset. So what I said before is actually very unlikely. I'm out of ideas for the moment. Need to know if this is related to SMP at all or not.

• Like 1

JUST want to say OMG! It is awesome!

I can't see the light gem or my equipment but not that much of an issue.

Have a bit of flickering with head movements and shadows are in one side of the lens if that helps.

Overall it's so awesome to see TDM in VR that I am besides myself with happiness and joy!!

THANKS!

Cabalistic, we are seeing a few new bugs with Collision:

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4613

Do your changes allow Collision code to update "trace model cache" (Clip.cpp) in parallel?

Maybe we need to "atomic_thread_fence" in there?

• Like 1

Update in parallel - no. Update in one thread, read in another - maybe? I don't think it's likely, since I'd expect this should be limited to gametics and frontend drawing, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Though I see that you reproduced the bug with threading disabled...

• Like 2

Fantastic!

I'm not seeing map_buffer_range in use here? Are the temp buffers using a hold and modify pattern? If not, they may still require buffer swapping.

(Not that I'm good enough to evaluate at this level..)

• Like 1