The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.4.0 pre-release testing

Here's the DR 2.4.0 pre3 build for motivated mappers to test. It's mostly bugfixes plus one model export feature which justfiies the version bump, so mappers able to use modeling apps might like this.

It's now possible to directly save selected map elements to LWO or ASE files, either for further working on them in a modeling app, or to combine existing stuff into a single func_static model. It is also possible to combine several existing models (e.g. statues) into a single one.

Example 1: Export Map Section to Lightwave

map_export_01.jpg >>> map_export_02.png

Example 2: Convert some parts into func_static (LWO or ASE)

modelexport.jpg

Windows Installer x64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5l3W4qqEX26YTlQdzhhM1hsUFU
Windows Portable x64: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5l3W4qqEX26LVVWb3pQbG52ZU0

Linux folks need to compile this stuff from source, instructions for various distributions are on the wiki.

If you happen to run into a crash, please record a crashdump: How to record a crashdump

Changes since 2.3.0 can be seen on the Bugtracker changelog, important stuff includes so far:

- Add "Export as Model" dialog to save selection as LWO/ASE
- Expose GlobalSelectionGroupManager to Python scripts
- Replaced Python Binding library, DR is now using pybind11
- Add Reload Models and Reload Skins button to Model Selector
- Snapshots feature ignoring / not notifying about folder size limit
- Fixed intermittent crash when selecting/manipulating lots of patches/brushes

- Fixed crash on Undo after saving a map with one or more scaled models

- Let user choose between LWO and ASE Model Export Formats for scaled models

- GroupDialog is missing tabs in Floating layout

changes since 2.3.0pre1

- Fix rotated models ending up misplaced after export-to-model

- Add option to use the entity origin as center point of the exported model

changes since 2.3.0pre2

- Add option to export the map selection in Wavefront OBJ format

- Restructured the PK4 / VFS code a bit (ideally nothing has changed from the user's perspective)

Thanks to all testers for any feedback, without your help DarkRadiant wouldn't be half as stable.

Edited by greebo
pre3

It's now possible to directly save selected map elements to LWO or ASE files, either for further working on them in a modeling app, or to combine existing stuff into a single func_static model. It is also possible to combine several existing models (e.g. statues) into a single one.

Wow, it works with models too? Not just brushwork? That's going to be a game-changer.

• Like 3

Wow, it works with models too? Not just brushwork?

That didnt occure to me, that handy as I can then add to existing models and create a new one by the sounds of it.

I wonder what effect of having single large FS inside leafs will have on performance..?

Edited by Bikerdude

One good addition might be that if a single func_static is selected for model exporting, there should be an option that the created model will have the same origin as the func_static one.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Cool. So you could take an entire area, open it in Lightwave, and add details directly into the architecture.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Wow, it works with models too? Not just brushwork? That's going to be a game-changer.

Yes, that is the intention, everything turns up in Lightwave or Blender, with the exception of lights, target lines, speakers, particles, etc. Just actual surfaces are exported, that's brushes, patches and models including MD5meshes.

Although I currently have a bug in there, causing exported models to turn up at the wrong place (too far off the center). I'll have to look into that and fix it for the next pre-release.

One good addition might be that if a single func_static is selected for model exporting, there should be an option that the created model will have the same origin as the func_static one.

Agreed, that sounds useful.

I wonder what effect of having single large FS inside leafs will have on performance..?

Drawcalls are going to be effected only if the combined models are sharing shaders. One could for instance place a lot of rock models in the map and combine them to a single one - that's going to save a few drawcalls as it's reduced to a single func_static instead of, say, thirty of them.

Also, keep in mind that larger models are less likely to be culled, or even might extend across area portals, so combining will have to be done sensibly.

Fantastic work Greebo! Finally solving that crash is incredibly useful but being able to combine models will be even more useful with the entity limit. Using a lot of Springheels modules to detail really pushes the entity count up, but this will fix that hopefully :)

I've added a new pre2 build to the first post.

The model placement bug is now fixed, so it should now be possible to save most of the visible map geometry to a LWO or ASE file. I also added the option as suggested by Obsttorte.

Observations from 2.3.0
Sometimes when I try to select an item with shift click, it selects many things. I realized that this may be caused by the editor thinking that I'm dragging for area selection. Maybe a higher cursor movement threshold before it tries to area select?
Also, in floating view, the 3d window will not hide when I minimize the window.

Grabbing 2.4.0 pre now.

It said something about not being able to load properly at the last start up (if I remember correctly). I forgot to take a screenshot... As I said, this might be due to two instances loading simultaniously. So far, the error has not occured again.

• 3 weeks later...

object being saved , that is exactly what i need B) .. my project around doom3 is to add monsters from quake4 and prey .

so a model tool showing md5mesh with textures and def/script files would give a boost ...and able to save all the files correctly with the idtech4 games tree is awesome :wub:

at the same time may be you could update the gui of darkradian to use two or more monitors . one in "fullscreen" using directx or opengl that shows the rendered map file , this windows being usable like

the "in game windows" : the player/camera-view being moved by a xbox360pad .

the others 2d windows in the others monitors tracking the position of the 3d . that would help to find the right position with big map , and do little changes like adding monsters or models with keyb&mouse .

with this new windows system , you could also add a "tracking text file" : i mean that when you select an object in the screen , then in this window you see the part of the map text-file you are working on .

i looked in the game file folder .. i found a bug in the quake4.game : the base directory is named q4base . i also made a prey file

i hope you will make a great tool for handling models..[even those of wolfenstein..]

A new pre3 test build is available in the first post. Nothing ground-breaking new in this build, except for code restructuring and simplifications. Consider this the release candidate for 2.4.0, I have no more changes planned right now.

they should work...for prey , it is not showing in the listbox , for quake4 : the edit concerns the base folder...

try these games and even wolfenstein ...they are the best games...

i hope to use models of wolfenstein in hl2 ...as some opposing force new enemies ...

and some of prey and quake4 as new enemies in doom3...

i was able to find q4 & prey for 5 euro

https://www.g2a.com/quake-4-steam-key-global-i10000043658002?___store=english

https://www.g2a.com/prey-2006-steam-key-global-i10000035423002

but not wolfenstein 2009

it came with a serial only in multiplayer...as there are no more player...

i can upload the free sp ...that has crypted files in base folder...

https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/comments/4qjmf0/does_anyone_know_where_to_get_wolfenstein_2009/

intel make a board with 80 cpu to render it using raytracing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein:_Ray_Traced