Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

bobrpggamer

It's good.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I enjoyed playing it. Gameplay-wise I think it's really good and an improvement over Human Revolution. Sadly, the story ends rather abruptly at a point that felt (to me) like a mid rather than an end, which makes the whole game feel a bit short. Which isn't really true, because according to my Steam statistics, I still spent about 25 hrs to beat it.

Sadly, the story ends rather abruptly at a point that felt (to me) like a mid rather than an end, which makes the whole game feel a bit short. Which isn't really true, because according to my Steam statistics, I still spent about 25 hrs to beat it.

'cause it's AN INTRO CHAPTER.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Yes, if a bit short compared to the previous game.

It's shorter, yes, but that doesn't impact the value of a game imho. My steam stats tell me that I've played 19 hrs, which seems fine to me for a shooter. I rather have a "short" but good experience instead of a game where things repeat after a while just for the sake of making it long. I think 10-30 hrs are fine for this sort of game. It's not an open world rpg ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I loved Human Revolution, and I really wanted to love Mankind Divided, but I don't think it is quite as good. I found the story fairly poor and half done as others mention. The core premise, the whole "technology apartheid" was kind of clunky and non-believable. The dialogue and acting was very poorly written really. It's not a patch on ther games like GTAV, Watchdogs 2 or The Witcher 3. The Prague hub was not bad, but not as amazing as some say. While it is dense, it still felt very small and that is my main complaint, the game is just not open enough. There weren't enough other locations, or " away missions". It runs VERY poorly. There were not nearly enough side quests which made it feel even smaller. The faces and facial animations looked for some reason absolutely terrible, and I mean really bad, no idea how they got away without getting mocked endlessly for that. Even with high settings. The core gameplay though is still well done, no doubt. I still liked it a lot, so maybe I am being a bit harsh, and its worth a play for sure, I just didn't love it like HR.

Also they tanked the game by including Breach which literally no one ever asked for, plus other micortransactions, and now they have canned the whole franchise - which I am absolutely gutted about. Perhaps they should have put those resources into finishing the story and adding more hubs and more interesting side quests and characters. A really big shame, but worth playing nevertheless, especially on sale.

Edited by tefdal
  • Like 1

Using an older system, i cant play dx-hr and dx-hm.

But i love the story, gameplay and athmospere of them, after seeing its "movies" (a summary of cutscenes and gameplay) on youtube.

To get "a small taste" of dx-md, try Deus ex Breach.

(at this moment, free on steam.)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Using an older system, i cant play dx-hr and dx-hm.

But i love the story, gameplay and athmospere of them, after seeing its "movies" (a summary of cutscenes and gameplay) on youtube.

I am sorry to here that, and so there goes a good reason to go for a console system , Xbox or PlayStation. Not as good as a PC in any means in my opinion but at least the hardware doesn't change much.

Thank you all for your help. but I will have to go easy with my credit cards and wait a little longer for a better sale come the end of October and the 3 holidays that follow Halloween.

Off topic but I love the fall or autumn season, unfortunately my mobile home park has no trees and 3 highways in that surround the park, and still no trees just dry grass. I should not complain though I have a bed and food and that's what's important. I really feel for the guys in Texas, If I had the money I would donate what I could, but live check to check. and am in massive credit card debt.

Edited by bobrpggamer

• 2 weeks later...

Only ever played the first tutorial mission, and it annoyed me a bit TBH. Not only did i find the cut scenes exaggerated, and tedious, but, also the gameplay, interface, and game world, where there's so much stuff going on, that you hardly know where to look, or with which objects you can interact, and with which you cannot. The latter being a general issue with nowadays games though. IMO, they just ham it up too much. I might give it a go again at some point. It was the first game i ever demanded a refund for on Steam, BTW. i bought it again in a sale half a year later then though, for 15 €. :P

Frankly, not a big fan of modern games. And the Deus Ex reboots are ok, but... the original Deus Ex was better, wasn't it? Sort of like Thief, just that the Thief reboot was a total disaster, while the new Deus Ex's are just OK. But, meh, neither Adam Jensen is as cool as JC Denton was, nor is the vibe still there. Also, it strangely seems to resemble the Thief reboot. Can't even really put my finger on why. It just feels a bit like it, for me. Like, they tried to replicate the old style, but never really got a good feeling for the stuff. And they both seem "french". Again, something i can't really explain why i feel like that. Feeling is just there.

One more or less subtle thing that changed between original Thief / Deus Ex and latest Reboots: Geometry was discrete brushwork back then and is modular now.

At least in Thief 4 (newer Deus Ex titles are designed like cover shooters, so the odd level layout is much more obvious than the geometry reuse) it contributed to breaking the immersion, that i learned to tell apart the modules everything is built of shortly after the first mission.

They did a great job in building a huge city. They considered different play styles and seem to have used the current believes about good level design. But their building blocks are too big and they got too few different modules for drawing player barriers relative to the count of modules the player can see in every area. Also because of modules the grid is a bit in-your-face in a lot of places.

More obvious is the trend to replace smooth game play with canned animations. One does not simply open a door in the newest thief. You go to the door, trigger the open animation and wait until that animation completed. Same for opening furniture. We all know and love how the Darkmod handles that (and if there is a way to change mantling from an animation to a state, so we could have non-Garrett hang at ledges, it probably should be done). Animations get boring very quickly if you see them ten times when looting a room (frobbing by hand also feels more rewarding and less disconnected).

Gameplay-wise i do not know why they decided to make traps only disarmable by triggering a cutscene on a gear-box in the newest Thief. You always had so much more possibilities like using objects for blocking or triggering the traps, jumping over the triggers or standing at the side of chests while opening them. All gone and replaced by the wirecutter cutscene. And that damn wirecutter is not even hard to get. They seem to have removed gameplay for no reason.

If the game resembles the Thief reboot in some way, it's not that surprising given the same studio is responsible for both games. :) I agree the feeling is not quite the same as the original Deus Ex, and I also generally prefer older games to this newer crop. But it is still an extremely polished game though on a technical, graphical and audio level.

I must admit that i typically have to get over the first 2 or 3 hours in a game, and that they usually get better, and more fun after that. I maybe played MD for 3 or 4 hours, and it didn't click at that point. Will surely give it another go at some point. Although i found the cut scene after the first mission REALLY lame. I just hate that games feel like Hollywood flicks nowadays.

• Like 3

Not to mention why Dubai and not a Black Sea location (the same for London in the end).

AFAIK, the Persian Gulf is way less deeper than the Black Sea, their medium deeps are something like ~50 m vs. ~1200 m. Which means that the Persian Gulf (where Dubai is located) is more suitable for building an artificial island ;).

About London in DX:MD: remember the name of the main villain, his nationality, and what did he do to Adam in Switzerland? That's right, it's a direct analogy to that nasty case in November 26, 2006. In a nutshell: "Ba-a-ad rushnz everywhere, fear them!" :laugh:

BTW, some Season Pass missions, I think, have a strong DX1 and Tron 2.0 vibe. And I like it :).

Edited by MoroseTroll

• 1 month later...