The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: King of the Mountain by Spoonman (18/09/2017)

level

Congrats!

I gave it a small whirl and I can tell that it'll take me a month to solve this thing.

Very beautiful, though that's not as much of a surprise with "Full Moon Fever" as your intro TDM mission.

I'll get a mission page going if nobody beats me to it.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Uploaded to the mirrors and mission page.

Created the wiki entry.

For some reason the screen-shot isn't rendering?

If you have example screens you wanna use, let me know.

It's 800x600 but it seems that there might be some rule that you need to upload 2 or more images now?

I'll gather some more screens if nobody gets to it before me.

It's 800x600 but it seems that there might be some rule that you need to upload 2 or more images now?

I'll gather some more screens if nobody gets to it before me.

I just uploaded four screenshots pulled from darkfate. The screenshots I uploaded were 1280x720 and they work both on the missions page and in the ingame downloader so I guess the 800x600 thing is more like a guideline rather than a pre-req.

@Spoonman just finished the mission, loved it! And boy do you know how to nail down the thief atmosphere so well. I got lost in the prison for a while and the scene outside while small was quite beautiful :) Thank you for your mission, look forward to whatever comes out next from you.

• Like 1

This the one mission i would use as the perfect example in an automapping feature request thread!

And they might not have anything to eat. But they surely still have lots of electricity and torches. This is one of the most lit missions (after "Swing" and "Reap as you Sow"). There are electric lights and torches everywhere.

That said, i love the garden and daylight-casting windows. The geometry is believable but i constantly got lost.

Difficulty-wise it was not that hard to ghost around until stumbling over the weapons on the top floor (it felt a bit lengthy though). After i got the blackjack i (as always) blackjacked everyone and searched the place room for room - that proved to be rather time consuming because of the sheer amount of AI and rooms.

But i never found any lock picks or the key to the sewers so i noclipped through that door as searching the whole place again seemed to be futile. I wonder, where that key or picks could have been...

I think it is too big. But the lighting was beautifull and i had some fun.

The aesthetics were as usual for your missions really solid and this was a great large indoor area to explore, and a step up really this time with the AI placement and patrol routes. I just think that as far as the entire story and tying everything together it was a bit weak. Your first mission was the best on this end.

The mushrooms are what causes the undead? What's the deal with them. No real resolution or anything on that.

Finished this one last night, thanks for the awesome mission! I thought it had really good cadence to it despite it being pretty large and open ended. The lighting blew me away and overall the prison design was convincing.

I had a blast playing through it.

My only hang up:

It took me some time to figure out where the exit was. I remembered that it was mentioned in the briefing, but not in the objectives. I map would have been awesome as well, but I can understand why you might not include one.

Thanks again!

Edited by kingsal
  • Like 1

This was an excellent mission! Properly large that exploration had a meaning; it had just enough story material to get my mind going without overexplaining things; and it was properly oppressive to give you the feeling of incarceration. Maybe not quite as oppressive as Tears of Blood, but nothing is. ;) The varied architecture was full of spots which were very good-looking - those galleries are to die for. Also, the difficulty was just right. Always challenging, but never frustrating.

I am happy you keep making missions, and I hope you will continue!

BTW, has it been posted to TTLG yet?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Very nice mission. Only two comments:

1. Using a male guard voice for the female cook didn't work for me. Kept looking for another attacker.

2. Near the kitchen, there is a guard in front of a big rock with a candle next to it. The guards seems initially to be deaf and blind. On sneaking up behind him in order to blackjack, the first few whacks are not noticed. Then the guard finally wakes up and attacks.

Edited by MVT

Any chance of a clue as to where to find a weapon ( if only to vent my frustration on the guards!)

Sorry , found one.Hunting time!!

This got a lot easier once

I found the weapons

A few minor points

The cook with the male voice was a bit weird

And the AI standing in front of the giant mushroom is too close to it so when you try to BJ him you hit the mushroom, so I made a noise to make him move, then when he returned he was far enough away from the mushroom to hit

Excellent mission though

Edited by esme

Congratulations on your release. :D

1. First thing is taking the stones out from behind the bed alerts the guards right at the very start. Also looking at the bed, right side if you climb up on the right end, you

get stuck. No clip out np.

2. On expert, before door was unlocked, two steps re-alerted the guards, and they hit me with their swords through the locked door. Seems

your guards are bit too sensitive. 10 minutes and I can't get out of a cell even with the key because all the guards are outside

the door.

When I finally got out of the cell, I went left, there was a diamond timber door, and a builder guard in there was spinning in circles, then I got caught and died.

Back to the cell, after another 10 mins, I got tired of waiting for them to go, but they were both stuck either side of the locked door.

From what I saw of it, it looked interesting. Has it been beta tested yet?

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/