The Dark Mod Forums

8K VR Headset - Pimax

NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimax8kvr/pimax-the-worlds-first-8k-vr-headset

https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-8k-vr-headset-coming-kickstarter-later-month/

This is the right direction for VR. Especially important is the wide field of view: 200 degrees. However, it doesn't have the widest field of view on the market: StarVR has a 210 degree FOV.

The Pimax Kickstarter mentions "Pimax 8K offers 200° Field of Vision (FOV), which is far closer to matching the natural human FOV of 220°." IIRC the natural human FOV actually varies by a few degrees from person to person (scary, huh?). But 220 degrees should probably cover every human alive. Wikipedia says "slightly over 210-degree forward-facing horizontal arc of their visual field" and "binocular vision, which is the basis for stereopsis and is important for depth perception, covers 114 degrees (horizontally) of the visual field in humans; the remaining peripheral 40 degrees on each side have no binocular vision" (194 degrees?).

The "8K" or "5K" in the name is a little deceptive. It should be called 4K or 2.5K per eye. 7680x4320 is what is referred to as 8K. Pimax is 7680x2160. However there is a precedent, see the Ultra-Wide 5K (5120x2160) and Ultra-Wide 10K (10240x4320) resolutions which are 21:9 aspect ratio This is 32:9 aspect ratio. Super-Ultra-Wide 8K?

It also talks about using a "Brainwarp" algorithm/method to effectively double the 75-90 Hz refresh rate to 150-180 Hz. If this is so easy, why hasn't Oculus, HTC, or Google done it (it would be especially useful on mobile and console platforms to double the framerate from a lower number)? It could be a marketing lie.

Here's another thing that is not clear to me: there is an "8K" model and "8K X" listed in the reward tiers. It implies that the "8K X" does 90 Hz while the other one does 75 Hz. I have not watched the video, just read the text.

Edited by jaxa

I'm considering swapping the Vive HMD for this one but I'm waiting for more impressions and I want to see the final specs of LG's HMD (yes I'm aware of the prototype that had gen 1 specs). I also want to know how well it performs in dark environments. The peripheral "warping" they described seems to be due to rendering math in steamvr and game engines rather than it being an issue with the HMD. The VRSource impressions claimed there was slight ghosting but oddly Tested didn't seem to notice anything like this. There is value in talking directly the head of the company but I really wish Pimax also had someone that could speak better English. Really impressed with the pricing of the HMD as well.

Clarity (resolution, SDE, lense anomalies) is my #1 issue with gen 1 VR hardware. After that, the cable--I'm so sick of stepping on and getting tangled up in the cable in Onward and other games!

Overall I'm really excited to see multiple manufacturers competing with compatible hardware. OpenVR/SteamVR will have to suffice until OpenXR comes to fruition.

Early adopters of premium GPU-driven VR headsets still have to put up with a cable/tether which I think is basically unacceptable. Use an advanced high frequency wireless standard instead, like WiGig, and include a battery. When your battery life runs out, hopefully you will take a break and return to reality rather than swap in the charged battery on top of your minifridge.

In a few years, every piece of the VR puzzle will have improved. Better GPUs and CPUs. More VR content, VR-ready games, and 360-degree video. Denser batteries. Increased display resolution and refresh rate.

Pimax is doing a good thing by pushing the wider field of view and increased resolution per eye. In a way very similar to StarVR. I would not buy today's Pimax, but wait for tomorrow's vastly improved headset.

Edited by jaxa