The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.4.0 released

DarkRadiant 2.4.0 is available for download. This release fixes a few annoying bugs and introduces a new Model Export feature, allowing editors to export the current selection to ASE, LWO or OBJ (including brushes, patches and models). It's recommended to prefer this version over any previous release.

Windows Downloads are available on github: https://github.com/codereader/DarkRadiant/releases/tag/2.4.0

Thanks go out to all who helped testing this release!

Please report any bugs or feature requests here in these forums, following these guidelines:

• Bugs (including steps for reproduction) can go directly on the tracker. When unsure about a bug/issue, feel free to ask.
  • If you run into a crash, please record a crashdump: Crashdump Instructions
  • Feature requests should be suggested (and possibly discussed) here in these forums before they may be added to the tracker.

Changes since 2.3.0

• Add "Export as Model" dialog to save selection as LWO/ASE/OBJ
  • Expose GlobalSelectionGroupManager to Python scripts
  • Replaced boost::filesystem with std::experimental::filesystem in GCC (if available)
  • Switched Python binding framework to pybind11 (instead of boost.python)
  • Add Reload Models and Reload Skins button to Model Selector
  • Added game file for Prey
  • Snapshots feature is now notifying about reaching the configured folder size limit
  • Intermittent crash when selecting/manipulating lots of patches
  • Crash on Undo after saving a map with one or more scaled models
  • Let user choose between available Model Export Formats for scaled models
  • Fixed missing Group Dialog tabs in Floating layout

The list of changes can be found on the our bugtracker changelog.

Have fun mapping!

Congrats on the release! Thanks for all of your hard work, makes mapping a hell of a lot easier! ;)

What do you mean by "easier system for handling the view windows"? I usually have four windows (one for each ortho-viw and one 3D view) and have no problems with that. The other windows I just slide around as I need it.

And I don't think it is possible to make something for modeling md5mesh and md5anim in DR. But it is not really necessary. Blender works fine, if you have the md5 improt/export plugin. For animations there is also a preconstructed rig created by Arcturus that makes creating and changing animations quite easy (or at least not too difficult), when you know how to handle Blender. I don't think it makes too much of a difference, if you have to learn a animating program in DR or if you have to learn to use Blender. You have to learns something new anyways.

using darkradian and others radians or quark is not that simple for a newbie ... months later i started , i am still unable to move anything nor the view..i just found the zoom with mouse3...

while in a two Dimensions screen , using two sliders on the borders help getting the right position... i already asked for the use of the 3d window with a xboxpad to find the right position and entity...with big detailed playable map that is the easier way to spot places [ in my opinion ]

i try adding monsters from quake4 & prey to a mod using reordered maps of doom3&roe .

by now i removed a lot of errors that were in maps , def , scripts... there are still some but as false positive like with antivirus or to hard to be found or solved ...i ll soon publish a "1.33 update" patch .

here is a topic i opened in a other forum about removing errors in doom/roe maps : http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com/index.php?topic=589.0

for errors or resizing models , i only found fragmotion and a bug in it : http://www.fragmosoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=1190.0

i tested blender but it has only a md5mesh/anim exporter... with your link to the actarus tool , that is good for creation...but i need importing model [ some olders release were able...] . may be you have the files i need ?

i found in the darkmod wiki , the mayaimport dll for maya7 that i have installed with a fresh xp ...

i am still reading the docs how to use the parameters ...and i saw some are stored at the beginning of the def file...the question that still puzzles me is how will i turn back to md5mesh the decompiled/modified model ?

Edited by grml4d

using darkradian and others radians or quark is not that simple for a newbie ... months later i started , i am still unable to move anything nor the view..i just found the zoom with mouse3...

while in a two Dimensions screen , using two sliders on the borders help getting the right position... i already asked for the use of the 3d window with a xboxpad to find the right position and entity...with big detailed playable map that is the easier way to spot places [ in my opinion ]

For learning the controls of Dark Radiant (or anything else you can do with it), I recommend the A-Z tutorial on the Wiki. If you are looking for a specific entity in a map, you can hit "j". This opens a list of all entities and lets you jump to any you select.

i tested blender but it has only a md5mesh/anim exporter... with your link to the actarus tool , that is good for creation...but i need importing model [ some olders release were able...] . may be you have the files i need ?

I thought the md5 exporter also has the import tool included. I can check again, when I come home.

thank you for the link..i read it , and jumped to the dmap section....

i tested few parameters with dmap of doom1.31 ; it seems that only few settings are working ..

i wonder if it is better to use lightcarve and shadowsopt 2 or not ?

my idea about viewports is also to help "moving" inside the map like in game playing... i am sure that xboxpad are still not use by editors...that like "video keyboards" already use plenty of combined shortcuts using keyb & mouse...

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Dark_Radiant_Controls,_Keys_%26_Mouse

i agree that is cool to have them...but learning them all takes a lot of time...and should make some newbies stop trying to become a mapper ;']

to solve errors , i used the log console with ultraedit . so i was able to spot the right entity in the map file . reading the map shows that brush & entity are numbered , so i used the search box that uses number to spot them . dmap also helps to get errors that are not shown by map loading for play

What is a difference between ASE, LWO and OBJ?

More specifically, ASE is the native format for 3DS Max, LWO is the native format for Lightwave, and OBJ is ... I don't know where it originally came from, but I believe it's like a standard format, so many different modeling programs are going to use it, and that's why it's more popular.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All brushes with any visportal face is checked by the script. If such a brush has more than one face texture with the visportal shader, it's counting as invalid. If such a brush is not a child of worldspawn, this is also reported.

DR cannot check for sealing/non-sealing geometry. This requires the flood fill algorithm to be ported to DR, something that I had begun working on in 2012 but discarded after hitting too many math/precision issues.