The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

One thing I just noticed: in Volta II, if you press Esc and go to the menu during player character VO, when you get back to the game, the VO gets interrupted. It doesn't matter whether EFX is enabled or disabled. And it also happens during AI conversations. It doesn't happen in 2.05, I checked.

Edit: you can reproduce this error by playing A New Job and interrupting player VO at the beginning of the mission.

Edited by Judith

Hey, is it just me or fog intensity changes when player looks around?

Hadn't noticed that, but I have noticed shadows that turn on and off as you look around.

Hadn't noticed that, but I have noticed shadows that turn on and off as you look around.

I noticed particle emitters, lights, shadows, geometry, and complete leafs (probably due to toggling visportals) turning invisible when approaching the edge of the screen while looking around - in 2.05 and latest 2.06.

Most of the time stuff gets drawn when it should though. I don't think, it got worse with 2.06.

Hey, is it just me or fog intensity changes when player looks around?

If you mean at the corners of the screen, then yes, since the fog is based on the player's viewport and looking at something at a more oblique angle will layer more fog on top.

I saw that the foglights issue has been fixed on the tracker and I will agree: It also seems like an engine limitation to me. The issue with the skybox probably lies in the fact that the portal_sky camera just exacerbates the issue of more distance = more fog. Even not considering the skybox, however, just looking at a particle that's wide enough to cover a fogged corridor and a nearby wall will make the bug apparent. The problem with sorting particles above fog is that the particle would look out of place when looked from far away, it being its normal color while the rest of the environment is fogged.

I guess we would need to do fog before transparent surfaces and somehow downmodulate those separately.

The way I see downmodulation being done would be fogging the face (be it a particle quad or a transparent world brush primitive) based not on pixel depth but on face origin/normal. A very crude example: I've got a particle that's 500 units away and I can see the skybox behind it - all the quads in the particle should get fogged up for the value that a normal face would be at 500 units distance, instead of variably based on whether they're standing in front of geometry that's close by or the skybox.

At any rate, I'll test the afterfog keyword in the next package and report how it looks in-use.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

The problem with sorting particles above fog is that the particle would look out of place when looked from far away, it being its normal color while the rest of the environment is fogged.

There is no problem with the waterfall because it never was fogged anyway, so it did not change anything in that regard.

The way I see downmodulation being done would be fogging the face (be it a particle quad or a transparent world brush primitive) based not on pixel depth but on face origin/normal. A very crude example: I've got a particle that's 500 units away and I can see the skybox behind it - all the quads in the particle should get fogged up for the value that a normal face would be at 500 units distance, instead of variably based on whether they're standing in front of geometry that's close by or the skybox.

Sorry, don't understand

Two more sound-related things I noticed:

1) On the "Please press Attack to start..." screen, you can hear sound effect from a nearby sound speaker, if the player start is close to one in a map.

2) In the windowed mode, you can hear the sound when the window is out of focus (you can't in 2.05, and IMO it was a good idea).

Bugtracker 4684: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4684

Other materials should be fixed in the same manner if needed

I'm not aware of the functional difference between heathazewithdepth and heathaze. The two look similar enough in the test map, but if there is two of them there must've been a reason for the depth version to be used over the regular in these warp materials.

On paper, I'm okay with slashing one if it no longer works with FBO, but if the solution is to replace every instance of "HeatHazeWithDepth" with "HeatHaze" in TDM's material definitions, this had better be done, rigorously, before 2.06 is publicly released, or the issue could hardly be considered 'fixed'.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Bugtracker 4684: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4684

I'm not aware of the functional difference between heathazewithdepth and heathaze. The two look similar enough in the test map, but if there is two of them there must've been a reason for the depth version to be used over the regular in these warp materials.

On paper, I'm okay with slashing one if it no longer works with FBO, but if the solution is to replace every instance of "HeatHazeWithDepth" with "HeatHaze" in TDM's material definitions, this had better be done, rigorously, before 2.06 is publicly released, or the issue could hardly be considered 'fixed'.

The reason was that regular warp distorted objects in front of it. This might not longer happen in 2.06.

FBO is off by default, so few people will encounter that.

I don't have a problem with mass replace, but someone needs to test the changed materials before and after, and I don't have desire for that.

Ah yes, I actually remember that bug. I have checked now and HeatHaze still distorts objects in front of it in 2.06 with or without FBO on.

If FBO is off by default, then that is more agreeable.

How did you test? I spawned an AI model in your test map and did not see any distortion

Just placed one of the springheel models in front of the glass, it's hard to see but it's still definitely there on the edges. Since this is the case we're effectively just replacing one graphical artifact for another, which is more of a sidestep than a fix.

1) On the "Please press Attack to start..." screen, you can hear sound effect from a nearby sound speaker, if the player start is close to one in a map.

Speaking on which, if someone is going to work on this, why not make it the use button to start or at least add it? I always found it strange that it should be the attack button because in Bloodlines on laggy computers this results in people actually attacking the first moment of the game which can be noticed...

Just placed one of the springheel models in front of the glass, it's hard to see but it's still definitely there on the edges. Since this is the case we're effectively just replacing one graphical artifact for another, which is more of a sidestep than a fix.

In 2.06, I could see very faint distortion in front of certain water textures that I could not reproduce in 2.05.

The next package build is available for testing.

7321 - 4682: Fix corrupted memory (duzenko)

7324 - 4690. Reload EFX file with reloadSounds command (stgatilov)

7325 - Disable EFX effect if player enters area without any EFX definition (stgatilov)

7326 - 4685: Fix for overfogged translucent surfaces (duzenko)

7330 - Fix savegame compression crash on Linux x64 (stgatilov)

15102 - 4683: Shader-level ambient cubic light falloff (duzenko)

15103 - 4685: Fix for overfogged translucent surfaces (duzenko)

15104 – 4684: Change warp material shader to heatHaze (duzenko)

• Like 1

Just updated my 2.06 installation and now get "The program can't start because MSVCR120D.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem" when running TheDarkmodx64.exe.

When running TheDarkMod.exe i get a "The Dark Mod has stopped working" window:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TheDarkMod.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 5a25afd3
Fault Module Name: MSVCR120.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.40660.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 577e0f1e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000ca4e5
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1031
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

OS is Windows 7 x64.

Edited by Abusimplea

Strange.

That DLL comes with the VC++ 2013 package. We typically include it in Dark Radiant portable.

There was a discussion about whether we would do the same with 2.06 or hard link the library.

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4595

To my knowledge the plan was to include the DLL but recent SVN builds has worked without it until now.

If you don't wanna wait, you could download the portable Dark Radiant build and copy the VC++ DLL's to

your darkmod install directory. Or install VC++ 2013 redistributable. Though the latter would

hide any future changes\fixes.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)