The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

Bug: if you enter HUD adjustment submenu during the playtime and press "Esc" you resume the game.....but if you press another time "Esc" you get always the HUD submenu instead of the main menu.

Found the "back" button now in the upper portion of the screen BUT IMHO the best solution would be to present *always* the main menu after resuming the game (if menu is accessed @playtime).

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

How? "Very High" too cut the lights out .

Download this: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19141-no-rendering-on-screen-and-no-way-to-fix-it-without-accessing-newer-assets/?do=findComment&comment=413888

And create a folder in your base TDM directory called "glprogs" and extract the contents of the zip into there.

Thanks!

About OpenAL audio stack, I can only find one entry in the config file:

s_device "default"

s_driver is NOT present nor saved in the file but I can see it in console cvar list

My suggestion is to provide directly in the menu the list AND the choice of OpenAL audio drivers/devices, so the user can force the use of a specific driver/device (yes, it's a couple!).

System-wide OpenAL driver ct_oal.dll of old Creative cards has several issues despite being made by Creative itself.

The solution is simple: drop in the folder another OpenAL driver/lib (soft_oal.dll or another) and choose it from the list.....

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Uhm, searching for references in "ExtLibs" I see that Soft OpenAL is already present in the packaged DLL.

So the "default" is this (Soft OpenAL+Windows default audio device) ?

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

TDM still starts in a very old and low res for me

I thought we were going to address that. http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19111-change-menu-highlighting/?p=412272

Can someone remone me what the official line on prefabs are, I have been using a number of the new ones that were included as part of new mudule series. Some of them have config or setup issues, one example is the 3 way RITS prefab has missing target args. Most of what I have seen is minor, the only real issue is new mappers wont know how to correct the issue, without consulting the wiki. Imho prefabs are a good way for mappers to learn from.

In my post about the cubic light, I forgot to mention it had "falloff" "1" set.

I tried ambientcube.map from the cubic lights testing thread, and results were:

• With GLSL I can't see lights/cubegrate6.
  • On the other hand, with GLSL I can see lights/cubesheen, which has never worked for me under the ARB shaders.
  • Is the GLSL version designed to blend in more of the surface texture colour? Geometry in the lights/cubesouls room looks grey (exactly matching the surroundings) in ARB but green in GLSL.
  • In some rooms (e.g. the lights/cubesky room), in GLSL all geometry looks consistently lit... apart from the cylinder. This doesn't happen under ARB.

Well, if you can't get official Catalyst drivers (etc), you can use resolution scaling:

r_fboResolution 2 == 2x SSAA.

I tried that with soft shadows enabled and this happened:

post-35144-0-09564400-1510240926_thumb.jpg

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

In my post about the cubic light, I forgot to mention it had "falloff" "1" set.

I tried ambientcube.map from the cubic lights testing thread, and results were:

• With GLSL I can't see lights/cubegrate6.
  • On the other hand, with GLSL I can see lights/cubesheen, which has never worked for me under the ARB shaders.
  • Is the GLSL version designed to blend in more of the surface texture colour? Geometry in the lights/cubesouls room looks grey (exactly matching the surroundings) in ARB but green in GLSL.
  • In some rooms (e.g. the lights/cubesky room), in GLSL all geometry looks consistently lit... apart from the cylinder. This doesn't happen under ARB.
I tried that with soft shadows enabled and this happened:

attachicon.gif206fbo.jpg

The ambient cubicLights under GLSL use "irradience maps". If you look under the light materials, you will see makeIrradienceMap as a new material

flag (image program). The falloff image is used for specular in this light type too (same place to look at examples). This is the beginning

of a project to incorporate IBL lighting into TDM.

As for the scaling issues?

Make sure you have addressed all the DPI and scaling problems inherent in Windows 7 and newer:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Screen_is_Oversized_in_Fullscreen_Mode_.28Image_is_too_large_to_fit_the_screen_area_available.29

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It's a bit hard to show in screenshots, but some mirrors seem brighter than the scenes they reflect:

post-35144-0-85284100-1510242342_thumb.jpg
post-35144-0-69375700-1510242351_thumb.jpg

The ambient cubicLights under GLSL use "irradience maps". If you look under the light materials, you will see makeIrradienceMap as a new material
flag (image program). The falloff image is used for specular in this light type too (same place to look at examples). This is the beginning
of a project to incorporate IBL lighting into TDM.

I searched tdm_cubeLights.mtr for makeIrradienceMap and got no results. (None of the lights I named exists without the .pk4 from the cubic lighting thread - there's a cubegrate6 and a cubeSky, but they don't have the same paths - but the cubic lights I can find listed in 2.06 don't look different definition-wise.)

As for the scaling issues?

What scaling issues? If lights illuminating surfaces that were previously dark relates to 'Screen is Oversized in Fullscreen Mode (Image is too large to fit the screen area available)' then it's not at all obvious how.

(I wasn't running TDM in fullscreen mode, by the way.)

Sorry if I come across as ungrateful; it's just that in the context of the thread my mind is in a 'reporting glitches as a tester' frame, not an 'asking for tech support' one.

It's a bit hard to show in screenshots, but some mirrors seem brighter than the scenes they reflect:

attachicon.gif206mirror1.jpg

attachicon.gif206mirror2.jpg

I searched tdm_cubeLights.mtr for makeIrradienceMap and got no results. (None of the lights I named exists without the .pk4 from the cubic lighting thread - there's a cubegrate6 and a cubeSky, but they don't have the same paths - but the cubic lights I can find listed in 2.06 don't look different definition-wise.)

Here's an example:

lights/mountain_sunset
{    
    ambientCubicLight
    lightFalloffCubeMap env/skyboxes/skybox_mountain_sunset/mountain_sunset
    {
        cameraCubeMap makeIrradiance(env/skyboxes/skybox_mountain_sunset/mountain_sunset)
        colored
        zeroClamp
    }
}

What scaling issues? If lights illuminating surfaces that were previously dark relates to 'Screen is Oversized in Fullscreen Mode (Image is too large to fit the screen area available)' then it's not at all obvious how.

(I wasn't running TDM in fullscreen mode, by the way.)

Sorry if I come across as ungrateful; it's just that in the context of the thread my mind is in a 'reporting glitches as a tester' frame, not an 'asking for tech support' one.

It looked like the floor texture got larger in your screens. To me that looks like the video driver is having trouble with the texture size in the FBO.

You're saying it gets brighter when you increase the FBO resolution 2x?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Oh, I hadn't noticed the floor texture. I'll go back and check later (I think I may have moved position/angle between shots). I was talking about the candlelight on the walls.

Edited by VanishedOne

In menu, does "EAX 4.0 HD" option actually manage EFX effects?

Maybe it's time to rename that option.

How about s_useEAXReverb cvar now?

As before, the setting is linked to s_useEAXReverb cvar.

As before, this cvar controls whether "efxs/[mapname].efx" file is loaded with the respective definitions.

If you set the cvar/setting to 0/off, then efx settings won't be loaded at all.

P.S. I have noticed a bug that when I enable EAX 4.0 HD in GUI, it shows "changes would take effect after restart" message, which I cannot close.

Each time I click on OK button, the message pops up again immediately after it disappears.

Possibly the same problem as the windowed door I posted earlier: this material displays its bumpmap in 2.05 but not 2.06.

xxxx
{
    qer_editorimage     textures/darkmod/nature/dirt/dirt_packed_muddy_ed
    bumpmap             textures/darkmod/nature/dirt/dirt_packed_muddy_local
	{
		//blend add
		cubeMap env/gen1
		texgen  reflect
	}
}

When I removed the bumpmap line I encountered something else unexpected.

2.05:

post-35144-0-97869000-1510259037_thumb.jpg

2.06:

post-35144-0-02889600-1510259056_thumb.jpg

2.06 after I tried extracting env/gen1 from the .pk4:

post-35144-0-44580500-1510259065_thumb.jpg

The 2.05 and 2.05 images don't look any different when I extract them and look at them in IrfanView; and inside the .pk4, in both 2.05 and 2.06 they have a last modified date in 2014.

Found the "back" button now in the upper portion of the screen BUT IMHO the best solution would be to present *always* the main menu after resuming the game (if menu is accessed @playtime).

I agree with you, but none of the menus behave like that. So I haven't thought about adding it to avoid inconsistencies.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• Is the folder Read\Write protected?

Did you re-run tdm_updater ?

• The main folder keeps reverting to read-only, the files are read/write, so under the security tab I changed the permission of normal users to have read/write and that fixed it..

yes.

Edited by Bikerdude

I had done that already, it was setting the folder security perms that fixed it.

Once up and running I tested My Elixir WIP with 2.06 -

• and like others I am seeing lots of 'sparkelies'
  • I use the exec/cfg method to dmap/map in the same cycle, with 2.06 - TDM crashed to desktop on the second cycle.

dumpfile

I agree with you, but none of the menus behave like that. So I haven't thought about adding it to avoid inconsistencies.

Exactly. Maybe it's time to change the behaviour of all submenus.