The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Volta II - Cauldron of the Gods by Kingsal (11/30/17) V2.2

kingsal

FM page created and uploaded to the official servers.

• Like 3

Congrats! This is really something. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It was pure pleasure to test this FM. Kingsal proved again that he really understands design and aesthetic aspects that made Thief: The Dark Project unique. What is more important, he proved that you can successfully bring these into TDM and make an enjoyable mission. Volta I and II are solid proof that legacy of Thief can live on in TDM.

If you want to convince a DromEder to switch to TDM, this is what you should show ;) By the way, there should be a mission thread on TTLG forums as well.

• Like 4

Kingsal proved again that he really understands design and aesthetic aspects that made Thief: The Dark Project unique. What is more important, he proved that you can successfully bring these into TDM and make an enjoyable mission. Volta I and II are solid proof that legacy of Thief can live on in TDM.

If you want to convince a DromEder to switch to TDM, this is what you should show ;) By the way, there should be a mission thread on TTLG forums as well.

Totally Agree, @Kingsal you should post the FM annoucenment over on the TTLG if you havent done so already.

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

Indeed some of the very best exploration elements of the early Thief games. In my honest opinion Cauldron has improved on the same formula and expanded in others. A great change up to the first installment and definitely a worthy successor in the Volta series.

Glad to have been involved where I could be. Looking forward to whatever comes next! ;)

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Thanks everyone! I will get this posted over at TTLG today.

Edit: Kin beat me to it! http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148479&p=2378019#post2378019

Edited by kingsal
  • Like 1

Congratulations on the release Kingsal!

This mission is very well done, taking many pages out of the Thief: The Dark Project design book and mixing them with your own unique touch.

The custom artwork, briefing video, AI, ambient music and SFX are all very high quality, true to the thief universe and cohesively implemented with a level of polish that makes this feel more unique than any other TDM mission before it.

The level design is well thought out, intuitive and fun to play. On each playthrough I found myself coming back and discovering new things that I missed before. So there is plenty of replay value here too.

Overall a very enjoyable experience, well done Kingsal, you've done an incredible job here!

UPDATE: Skacky over at TTLG has reported a crash late in the level. I've not been able to reproduce it on my own, but please make hard saves every so often as a precaution. Im getting the crash looked at and will hopefully be able to address it in an update. Thanks!

Edited by kingsal

Played on 2.06 with soft shadows enabled:

The mission really feels a lot like dark project. And i like ruined underground cities. Also loved the maple syrup river and monster tree idea. My blackjack got dusty though.

Spent 5 hours until i found the drunken bastard and got him to the elevator (did a lot of sightseeing and target practice on the way in). I was so lucky that i am not a ghoster (but with a lot of patience and saves it might be ghostable).

Had some issues that might or might not go away as 2.06 gets out of beta:

I got stuck on geometry a lot. I had to spam the mantle key a lot of times and even needed to noclip on a dozen occasions.

Textures looked pretty washed out on a lot of surfaces.

The stone door does not open when i use the ancient key on the "rod" next to it. Tried attaching keys to the rods on both sides of the wall.

Spore bomb radius is rather short. Have to hit the target above the legs to actually affect it. And TDM hasn't the best throwing mechanics.

The fungus lights are brighter than street lamps and seem to have a comparable illumination radius.

There are a lot of locations featuring lights without a visible source.

Electric lights' mounts are invisible. They look like hovering midair.

Most streams that look like they should have some impulse do not seem to have one.

Sewer water reflects some reddish environment that is not there.

The mission really feels a lot like dark project. And i like ruined underground cities. Also loved the maple syrup river and monster tree idea. My blackjack got dusty though.

Spent 5 hours until i found the drunken bastard and got him to the elevator (did a lot of sightseeing and target practice on the way in). I was so lucky that i am not a ghoster (but with a lot of patience and saves it might be ghostable).

I got stuck on geometry a lot. I had to spam the mantle key a lot of times and even needed to noclip on a dozen occasions.

The stone door does not open when i use the ancient key on the "rod" next to it. Tried attaching keys to the rods on both sides of the wall.

Spore bomb radius is rather short. Have to hit the target above the legs to actually affect it. And TDM hasn't the best throwing mechanics.

The fungus lights are brighter than street lamps and seem to have a comparable illumination radius.

Most streams that look like they should have some impulse do not seem to have one.

Re: The spore bomb, I found it worked best if you hit the ground near the target, like a hard surface. That causes a decently sized cloud of gas to appear and knockout multiple enemies even. Also if you hold down the use key it throws the spore bomb further, I had no idea the throwing mechanics in TDM worked like that but it makes it a lot easier to throw knowing that.

Thanks for the feedback and for playing.

- You wouldn't happen to have screenshots of the areas you got stuck would you? Because that would be pretty helpful.

- The stone door might be a 2.06 problem, but Ill take a look at it.

- The other stuff I may or may not address in an update.