The Dark Mod Forums

TDM ModDB Mod of the Year

lowenz

It's that time of the year again (and again and again, Nietzsche - and Far Cry 3's Vaas - was indeed right :D  )

http://www.moddb.com/groups/2017-mod-of-the-year-awards/

Vote for TDM, you taffers! :laugh: (-> http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod )

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

And yet another year is gone. Man, time flies. :o

Voted. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

And yet another year is gone. Man, time flies. :o

Voted. :)

And I remember SO clearly playing Metal Age in this time of the year in 2002.....it's yesterday, right? :|

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Time for a news post?

Urging people to vote? Perhaps. I was thinking today that nbohr1more could probably hold off posting updates about major FM releases like Volta 2 until 2.06 comes out, so that people over on Moddb that don't follow too closely will have a more exciting update to read through.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

2.06 probably won't happen at least until 2018 and beyond. TDM is like an apocrypha gospel that must be preached without hesitation.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Is the voting over ? I can't seem to find any voting button there.

Alas, The Dark Mod didn't even make it to the top 100. But c'est la vie. After 2.06 I think we can speak of more attention. Add to this a possible moment of attention on Steam which is a platform with lots of perspective and spotlight.

I'm sure that the Rubicon was crossed by now.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

So we are at war now? Is there even any competition (i would not count Thief, and Dishonored is quite a different thing gameplay-wise)?

I mean that things will get better for TDM in the future. Win on Moddb or no win on Moddb.

badge?user=andarson

Alas, The Dark Mod didn't even make it to the top 100. But c'est la vie.

Okay, I think it's time to get some angry replies here again ;), but I would guess that could be because TDM doesn't change anymore in a way that normal players can see. Compared to the likes of Dishonored with a similar playstyle and tons of cool powers and weapons, TDM sticks very close to its roots and probably hasn't added a completely new gameplay feature or weapon or similar since 2.0, so people just got used to it and looked for something new...

Okay, I think it's time to get some angry replies here again ;), but I would guess that could be because TDM doesn't change anymore in a way that normal players can see. Compared to the likes of Dishonored with a similar playstyle and tons of cool powers and weapons, TDM sticks very close to its roots and probably hasn't added a completely new gameplay feature or weapon or similar since 2.0, so people just got used to it and looked for something new...

I respect your work on Bloodlines, but there's not much to add to TDM except refine what exists already. Reinvesting the bicycle is no use. Only riding it.

After all EAX now should work (openal). Potentially better performance.

The only thing is having a community that comes with new FM's and new content - music, sound, assets. That's what matters.

Maybe we're boring people but that's how I see it.

badge?user=andarson

The only thing is having a community that comes with new FM's and new content - music, sound, assets. That's what matters.

Indeed, but I don't think many mappers do this on their own very muich when it's a lot of work that's probably used for one mission only. Where are new kind of special arrows? Caltrops? Easy installer? Kicking? Burricks? Werebeasts or whatever enemies that were discussed lately? You won't get players to vote for the mod each year by improving EAX or soft shadows. I know it's the choice of the team to not add new features but then nobody should be surprised that the mod won't stay on the center stage forever ;)...

Edited by wesp5

Indeed, but I don't think many mappers do this on their own very muich when it's a lot of work that's probably used for one mission only. Where are new kind of special arrows? Caltrops? Easy installer? Kicking? Burricks? Werebeasts or whatever enemies that were discussed lately? You won't get players to vote for the mod each year by improving EAX or soft shadows. I know it's the choice of the team to not add new features but then nobody should be surprised that the mod won't stay on the center stage forever ;)...

I don't know how many people use those special tools that already exist. For example, who uses mines/spy balls? Is it justifiable?

This effort would be much better spent at improving existing animations. And it's a huge and hard effort in any game.

It's no surprise TDM didn't make it in the top 100 because there hasn't been much to show really. 2.06 will be different. Moreover a lot of modds on Moddb have a good community on Steam or other platforms. I.e. Bloodlines Unofficial Patches would never get popular if there wouldn't be a compact community on Steam with guides on how to install, use, walkthroughs and so on. And there you have a modification that rivals in longevity with Deus Ex mods.

Well, soft shadows are visible to users. Dishonored would be a better game if rebuilt as a set of missions for TDM (except the visuals maybe). So if anyone wnats to implement the powers and do a port - i would certainly be happy to betatest it :D

Dishonored just has a better animation system and a good fencing mechanic. Every layman ignoring stealth will appreciate that. No wonder considering Doom 3 and its engine were conceived as an FPS and not a Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. But c'est la vie.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

I don't know how many people use those special tools that already exist. For example, who uses mines/spy balls? Is it justifiable?

I don't know, I rarely use anything beside the blackjack myself ;). Still announcing a new version that has new weapons or items or similar beats improved graphics all the time as people lust for things like that! I even notice this on the Bloodlines patch, people always ask if the next version has new maps or features and don't care about bug fixes. Also I'm surprised that there is no TDM board in the Steam community, like e.g. as a Doom3 board. The Bloodlines patch isn't available on Steam and still I get a lot of discussion in the normal Bloodlines board...

I don't know, I rarely use anything beside the blackjack myself ;). Still announcing a new version that has new weapons or items or similar beats improved graphics all the time as people lust for things like that! I even notice this on the Bloodlines patch, people always ask if the next version has new maps or features and don't care about bug fixes. Also I'm surprised that there is no TDM board in the Steam community, like e.g. as a Doom3 board. The Bloodlines patch isn't available on Steam and still I get a lot of discussion in the normal Bloodlines board...

The UP is discussed on Steam often. Just like CQM.

TDM has been greenlit on Steam, therefore when it's done it gets a spotlight on Steam, sanctioned by the powers that be. TDM is not talked about on the Doom 3 board because TDM is standalone for a few years, so there's just no need. Besides most people playing Doom 3 are interested in shooting stuff Killing Floor stuff. Not about convoluted modifications. Genres like stealth and strategy games were, are and in the foreseeable future a niche.

That's exactly what I meant, new FM's with their options of walkthroughs and ways to find secrets are new maps and new features in and of themselves. For example check out Moonbo's FM"s. I'm sure that such dedication and level of quality warrants a special honorable mention. And many, many others.

To me both Bloodlines and TDM lack good animation from 3'rd person. Like, some people I know refuse outright to play Bloodlines because close combat is not available in first person. And vice versa, lots of people would love TDM in third person like Thief Deadly Shadows.

But, with limited human resources sacrifices have to be made to get realistic and achievable goals so everything's fine.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

So would it be possible to create a The Dark Mod hub now the game has been greenlit? Even if moving it to Steam still takes time...

That's what all greenlit titles could get in the end. Unless something changes, that's the plan.

The idea is to have TDM on 2.06 by then. First impressions matter. The current version and its faults were detailed in older reviews:

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Alas, The Dark Mod didn't even make it to the top 100. But c'est la vie. After 2.06 I think we can speak of more attention. Add to this a possible moment of attention on Steam which is a platform with lots of perspective and spotlight.

I'm sure that the Rubicon was crossed by now.

If you think so.

• 11 months later...

2018 turn ;)

Voted.

badge?user=andarson

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

• 3 weeks later...