The Dark Mod Forums

Medival Places to visit: RL inspiration.

Bikerdude

The first thing that comes to mind is, Bruges in Belgium. (definitely, i.m.h.o)

then bad Bentheim in Germany. (both towns i visited)

Travel departments in my country, will advice you to go to countries like Germany or Hungary.

To look for Hanseatic League cities. (-> more-Rich "medival" cities)

I will be your tourguide, when you are traveling to the central of my hometown, Deventer in the Netherlands (its a bit like Bruges).

but there are also medival places in Haarlem, Zwolle (central) and and cities in the province Limburg.

(also they are all to watch, using Google Streetview)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

My opinion is, to travel in the spring (or summer) to these places.

Because of the weather at that moment and the colors.

In the winter its grey/white and cold.

But at that moment you have there the Chirstmas markets.

--

Here are some google streetview 360 panoramic pictures of Bruges, Bad Bentheim and Deventer.

I compared them with your expectations: I can conclude, go to Bruges.

Bad bentheim:

link1

link2

Deventer:

link1

link2

link3

Bruges:

link1

link2

-edit-

some videos in the spoiler

Bad bentheim:

Deventer:

Brugge:

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

If you would like to visit a Hanseatic city, I am currently living in Lüneburg. It has many brick buildings and a couple of churches in the "brick gothic" style. Also, it is only half an hour away from Hamburg (also a Hanseatic city, but much bigger). Unfortunately, I can only offer one couch (that is not too big either) as a sleeping place, but I know of a small hotel that is quite cheap (with 40 € the night, at least that's what I paid there half a year ago). I myself have only lived here for a couple of months, so I am not sure how much of a tour guide I can be, but I know the old city centre and the most famous buildings (like said churches or the old water tower).

Regarding other German cities, I can definitely recommend Nürnberg, Rothenburg and Bamberg. Apart from its beautiful city center Rothenburg has a museum about medieval crime and punishment that I have visited basically every time I went there with my family and that is really interesting. Also, you can walk along the fortifications on the old city wall (or at least you could; it has been some time since I have been there last). The only downside of Rothenburg is that there are usually a lot of tourists (especially Japanese/Chinese). Nürnberg and Bamberg offer tours called "Nachtwächter" (night watchman) with various themes, in which you are shown around town and can get a lot of information about the town. If you like, I can also ask some friends, who still live in Nürnberg, what they would recommend regarding medieval sightseeing there.

EDIT: For the cities I mentionend, Hamburg and Nürnberg have airports and should be well reachable for you. From Nürnberg you can reach Bamberg in 30-50 minutes and Rothenburg in about an hour by train, so if you want to visit multiple cities at once, this would be a good place to start.

Edited by Destined

@Gman, I'm heading toward 50 and I havent really gone anywhere in the world. I been to the USA before 911, spain and and Ierland and thats it. So before I am too old and poor to go anywhere I want to atleast try and see some other places.

And I plan to take lots of pictures and videos.

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 3

I went to Luebeck, Germany last year and had an amazing time. It's an old Hanseatic city with gorgeous architecture and delicious marzipan (if you're into that kind of thing). Highly recommend going there!

Walked yesterday in the streets of the old city center of Deventer.

(see picture)

It reminded me a bit of the starting point of st lucia mission.

(but i know that Bruges has more beautiful streets)

post-13309-0-22896800-1512905566_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 3 weeks later...

Evening

So the cash for the first trip is ready, I am off all next week so can travel at a drop of a hat flight prices allowing.

@Freyk, even though though the weather is probably not the best I never never been to the Netherlands, so for me it would be a fun interesting experience. Whats is your schedule like for next week..?

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

@Freyk, even though though the weather is probably not the best I never never been to the Netherlands, so for me it would be a fun interesting experience. Whats is your schedule like for next week..?

Im sorry, havent followed this topic for a time.

I am busy this week (but i have time in the weekend. Saturday preferably. ).

But the weather is not good atm.

But I hope you can move (or book) your trip to somewhere in spring.

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 4 months later...

Awesome. Glad you beat cancer. I've lost 4 members of my family to cancer, including a 31 year old. So glad to hear you've beat it. :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/