The Dark Mod Forums

Winter is coming....

Bikerdude

It gives me the christmas feeling.

So, one of my favorite winter songs ,
to keep my cheerful during a heavy snowfall, when coming early from work waiting for public transport to bring me home.
(i need one now, at this moment. weathercode red in the Netherlands. And the tought i have to walk to home 2 hours)

Bert and ernie - im a christmas ball (because of its lyrics)
(Englisch version, but the dutch version sounds better)

Dutch "complain" rap about the Dutch weather - koud he? (it is cold, do you agree?)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Right now the weather is very inpredictable here. Yesterday evening, it was -3°C and snowy landscape. Today morning, +5°C, clear sky, bright sun, and everything looked like early spring. If you ever wondered whty people in Poland are so edgy, the weather/air pressure is one of our main excuses ;)

Right now the weather is very inpredictable here. Yesterday evening, it was -3°C and snowy landscape. Today morning, +5°C, clear sky, bright sun, and everything looked like early spring. If you ever wondered whty people in Poland are so edgy, the weather/air pressure is one of our main excuses ;)

Same in Moldova.

Moldova has three types of weather: dry mud, wet mud and frozen mud.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

After my journey to my homecity, i safely arrived.

And took some pictures, to inspire.

The Cathedral is always the best on a Thief-inspired forum :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to those who have to wade in the snow. I just started Game of Thrones about a week ago, being partial to Dexter and Breaking Bad I never gave it much thought, and I can just now see the remnants of Oblivion (Bethasda) and Prince of Persia all over it,

The more you overthink a show the less you will like it - other than Breaking Bad and Dexter of course. Also plenty of my favorite type of people as well: "backstabbers", I can not watch much of this.

Edited by bobrpggamer

I just finished a game that will get guys in the west some idea about cold weather, Its called "Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason" It has a good story although not very understandable to me, it also has great use of shader Model 4 to give the simulation of ice dripping down the walls and a blizzard outside of the Icebreaker ship that is stuck in the arctic. Gameplay is OK at best. This game is for some reason no longer available anywhere digital (GOG, Steam and GammersGate where I bought it in about 2010). i think you can buy it on amazon with physical copy, but discontinuing this game completely from all three DD stores is a bit bizarre.

Spoilers as bad as the new king of the realm at the end of the 1st season of Game of Throwns are in this video. So anyone wanting to play should only watch about 15 minutes.

The Trump Administration had nothing to do with this game.

I just asked GamersGate if I could gift this game to someone seeing as how I just finished it. The chances of this are obviously not good at all, but if they do grant this I could pick someone here if they would want it - with a new GamersGate account of course, unless you have one.

They killed Boromir in the first season for F*** sake.

Edited by bobrpggamer

Cryostasis is a great niche game. I suspect it will gather a cult following--somewhat like Sanitarium from 1998--slowly over time.

I don't truly understand the plot but the atmosphere--those ice effects--was second to none. It'll chill your bones; if you don't like the cold, might wanna skip. :P

Otherwise, seek it out. It might just change your life ^_^

Cryostasis is a great niche game. I suspect it will gather a cult following--somewhat like Sanitarium from 1998--slowly over time.

I don't truly understand the plot but the atmosphere--those ice effects--was second to none. It'll chill your bones; if you don't like the cold, might wanna skip. :P

Otherwise, seek it out. It might just change your life ^_^

I played and finished it, but the online sales are not available for some reason. And ( know that my 8th grade English teacher taught me you do not start a sentence with "and") GamersGate will not allow a gifting on this game.as I already knew, and unless yo really like the video you can purchase it from Amazon Here

https://www.amazon.com/Cryostasis-PC/dp/B001D7798A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515735101&sr=8-1&keywords=Cryostasis&th=1

But like yous said (my English teacher has also taught me to not start a sentence with "but") it is a very original Idea and may not please most people. Also (my English teacher has not said anything about starting a sentence with also) the combat is sub-par in my opinion, F.E.A.R. has the best gunplay and combat I have ever played, a little behind it would be condemned: criminal Origins.

Off topic has anyone played Alien Isolation, and can confirm that this is yet another Resident Evil console game. The commands are ridiculous,. you have to hold down both left and right mouse buttons and press the a button to take off a door lock with a maintenance jack. you have to press q constantly after you do some hacking or terminal reading, other than just escape key. You have to get by 4 guys with guns that have perfect aim even while running, with a wrench to defend yourself. Boatloads of cut-screens.. It almost reminds me the new Thief game that will be played after I play 90% of my other games. i almost liked Resident Evil, but the GameCube gamepad controls were so unlike the PC that I I am most familiar with II got too frustrated and sick of it.

Alien Isolation is similar to system shock 2 but without the freedom to do what you want, no objectives no one way to do this or that your own way, and having one of those guys come behind you, in system shock 2 when you were tying to hack something with no care about combat awareness actually scared me. But in all games I have played, I have to say the asylum level in Thief deadly Shadows with those guys with the brace on their face, scared me more than any other game.

System Shock 2 It is also the only game I have actually cheated in for more ammo, because I was doomed without it.

Here's a non alcoholic severe-cold-weather-survival-game:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327560/Near_Death/

Edited by bobrpggamer

I just finished a game that will get guys in the west some idea about cold weather, Its called "Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason" It has a good story although not very understandable to me, it also has great use of shader Model 4 to give the simulation of ice dripping down the walls and a blizzard outside of the Icebreaker ship that is stuck in the arctic. Gameplay is OK at best. This game is for some reason no longer available anywhere digital (GOG, Steam and GammersGate where I bought it in about 2010). i think you can buy it on amazon with physical copy, but discontinuing this game completely from all three DD stores is a bit bizarre.

Despite its flaws, it was a fairly inventive survival horror. I like what they did with it (the heat = health idea in particular). Are the games' developers still around ? Did they ever work on anything else ? All that I could find on Wikipedia were games from some hunting series of their's, Carnivores. And it all cuts off after 2011. The article also claims they "were". Hm.

Also... I see your Cryostasis and raise you Penumbra: Overture.

This LP of the game starts at 2:58.

I know Frictional have since gone on to bigger things, but I still think Penumbra was very cool for a debut effort. It started strong and got creepier and more focused with the sequel. I have a fondness for the series because of my love of Arctic horror, and because I followed the series' gradual development a decade ago. Even bought the installments as they were released (sans Requiem). Hard to believe it's already been ten years !

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 1

Despite its flaws, it was a fairly inventive survival horror. I like what they did with it (the heat = health idea in particular). Are the games' developers still around ? Did they ever work on anything else ? All that I could find on Wikipedia were games from some hunting series of their's, Carnivores. And it all cuts off after 2011. The article also claims they "were". Hm.

This LP of the game starts at 2:58.

I know Frictional have since gone on to bigger things, but I still think Penumbra was very cool for a debut effort. It started strong and got creepier and more focused with the sequel. I have a fondness for the series because of my love of Arctic horror, and because I followed the series' gradual development a decade ago. Even bought the installments as they were released (sans Requiem). Hard to believe it's already been ten years !

yeah you got me there.

Edited by bobrpggamer

I played one of the Penumbra games a while back--Penumbra Black Plague I think it was. Cool, but disjointed. That thing with the "hive mind" and the tasks given to you, felt out of place, somehow. But again the atmosphere was great, I'm also partial to Arctic suspense.

Is the Overture worth a try?

I played one of the Penumbra games a while back--Penumbra Black Plague I think it was. Cool, but disjointed. That thing with the "hive mind" and the tasks given to you, felt out of place, somehow. But again the atmosphere was great, I'm also partial to Arctic suspense.

Is the Overture worth a try?

I played Overture and Back Plague, and finished them but if I remember (10 years ago) I really liked Overture far more than Black Plague and I figured Requiem was going to be an ending to the trilogy and later found out that Requiem was a game to explain the events of the first 2. Requiem did seem a lot better gameplay wise but I did not finish it probably due to another game that I got into, a good RPG can make me forget my age or even the passage of time.

I agree that the the first 2 were a bit strange story wise and the fact that you could kill the dogs in Overture with dynamite was at least realistic. Where in the second there was no way to protect yourself with any combat at all. I know the later Amnesia was designed like this but it is or was known before you purchase it.

Its like Condemned Criminal Origins, if there was a psychical living being unlike a spirit or something otherworldly you could hit it with a pipe, or 2x4 or hammer or whatever, this is just basic survival instincts. Amnesia is noted that the beings in this game cannot be fought, which I look forward to - I think I bought this game a week after it came out, and I knew this was a run and hide game already. Same with a lot of new horror survival games. Alien Isolation and The Evil Within infuriate me with unnecessary cut-scenes and press this button and this one and both mouse buttons with the these two keys and move the mouse to the left and then down and up twice crap. I stopped Resident Evil 4 on PC because of these reasons fighting was turned into press five buttons and move the mouse here and there crap again. Fighting is smash this guy in the head or the chest move out of the way block his attack one good hit to the head and maybe you survive. this button mashing has me more furious than "The Angry Video Game Nerd" - and he has nothing on me, the things I did to the Assassins Creed 1 DVD, might be banned by The Geneva Convention, after the fiasco of fight - Imaging you run for a long period of time to find your final boss. During so you wade through at least 50 guys on the way and then when you get to your destination to kill this last person, you actually have to fight 10 guys in a row first - I was furious with this ant-climatic crap that completely ruined the entire game for me.

Requiem I would recommend, and for the full story I would recommend the trilogy during a DD sale.

I forgot to include the other game that is made by Action Forms, the ones who did "Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason" which Is "Vivisector: Beast Within":

Which is also unavailable.

Edited by bobrpggamer
  • Like 1

If we're posting winter themed videos I might as well toss out my best snow-themed gameplay.

PS2? You know I actually believed that South Korea never had a snowy day, and when I found out about the Olympics I figured it was the summer Olympics and the idea of having the Winter Olympics in Korea did not make any sense. The winter Olympics in Korea? Such as why is there only sunny days in every season of the Trailer Park Boys", its F****** north of Maine (and in my pea brain "it's closer to the North Pole than Maine"). Then I was in total shock as I watched the Trailer Park Boys "Christmas Special" and low and behold "Mr Lahey It's fricking cold without a shirt on in the snow". So I deduced in my pea brain that with the low budge they had it would probably be cheaper to film in summer months, yeah.

My choice of places to eventually live, is as far from California as possible (other than Alaska) which would be Maine, So I, being a spoiled Californian moaning about lows being in the 30s during our harsh winters in the San Francisco bay area, may have to use a snow shovel myself and feel a wind chill at below 0.

Edited by bobrpggamer