The Dark Mod Forums

Testers and reviewers wanted: BFG-style vertex cache

cabalistic

I am currently testing the latest SVN build (7702) on an Intel Celeron notebook running Archlinux and the latest Mesa drivers. Lighting does not work at all, only ambient. Should this work or is that just the current state?

Any errors in console? Could be GLSL compiler issues.

with this settings

r_testARBPrograms 1
r_shadows 2
r_softShadowsQuality 32
r_softShadowsRadius 5 // this controls shadow blurriness and at 11 like i add before it can cause shadows to almost disappear.
r_shadowMapSize 1024

Shadow maps look good enough to me and performance is much better, where i add 26fps before now i got 55+fps. :D

Btw I forgot to test this right now but i think you guys need to debug changing shadows at run time, on my last test when changing from stencil to shadow maps, some shadows vanished, perhaps caused by the high r_softShadowsRadius, but when returning to stencil, r_shadows 1, those shadows didn't return?! Perhaps it didn't changed to stencil like it was supposed to and i thought it did? But if so that would mean r_shadows 1 didn't worked.

Edited by HMart

with this settings

r_testARBPrograms 1

r_shadows 2

r_softShadowsQuality 32

r_softShadowsRadius 5 // this controls shadow blurriness and at 11 like i add before it can cause shadows to almost disappear.

r_shadowMapSize 1024

Shadow maps look good enough to me and performance is much better, where i add 26fps before now i got 55+fps. :D

Btw I forgot to test this right now but i think you guys need to debug changing shadows at run time, on my last test when changing from stencil to shadow maps, some shadows vanished, perhaps caused by the high r_softShadowsRadius, but when returning to stencil, r_shadows 1, those shadows didn't return?! Perhaps it didn't changed to stencil like it was supposed to and i thought it did? But if so that would mean r_shadows 1 didn't worked.

That would be great of course. Right now you need to quick save/load after shadow switch. A known issue.

• Like 1

Any errors in console? Could be GLSL compiler issues.

OpenGL vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Bay Trail
OpenGL version: 3.0 Mesa 18.2.1
Checking portable OpenGL extensions...
v - using GL_ARB_multitexture
Max texture coords: 8
Max active textures: 96
v - using GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
v - using GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
v - using GL_ARB_texture_compression
v - using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
v - using GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc
v - using GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
    maxTextureAnisotropy: 16.000000
v - using GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
v - using GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
v - using glStencilOpSeparate
v - using GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
v - using GL_ARB_map_buffer_range
X - GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test not found
v - using GL_ARB_framebuffer_object
v - using GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
v - using GL_ARB_draw_buffers
v - using GL_ARB_sync
Max vertex attribs: 16
Max env parameters: 256
---------- R_ReloadGLSLPrograms_f -----------
interaction VF
ambientInteraction VF
stencilShadow VF
shadowMap VGWARNING:shaderCompileFromFile(glprogs/shadowMap.gs) validation
@

F
oldStage VF
depthAlpha VF
fog VF
blend VF
cubeMap VF

What must I enable to test shadow maps? I made an alphatest fence, similar to what's in the picture, but when I use r_shadows 2, all shadows disappear.

Quick save/load

Yes, but not correctly.

Do you use OpenGL's debug output feature (the KHR_DEBUG extension)?

Not ATM.

Try deleting your darkmod.cfg.

Yes, but not correctly.

Did 2.06 work on your system?

Using the volumetric build:

1) I deleted the darkmod.cfg, ran the game, set the resolution to 1440p / windowed, restarted the game

2) I launched the volumetric test map, entered r_shadows 2 in the console

3) Pressed Quicksave (F4) and Quickload (F9)

All shadows are gone, only the projection texture works.

This is what I get.

It could easily be an nvidia compatibility issue, even though it was supposed to be fixed before the last alpha build.

The volumetric build could be based on an earlier svn version, so you can also try the same recreated darkmod.cfg with the last build @nbohr1more posted - that should work (even if it won't).

EDIT. I can confirm that the volumetric build seems like to be incompatible with nvidia implementation of GL_TEXTURE_COMPARE_MODE. The nbohr1more's build is supposed to work.

post-3508-0-70569200-1538124609_thumb.jpg

Okay, I used the update 11 build instead of volumetric and deleted volumetric keyword from light materials to make them work. I see the pixelated shadows in the first example, but that alcove window on the right (alphatest plane) doesn't show any shadows.

Edit: that said, the shadow mapping works nice with higher values. I set the soft shadows quality to high, radius to 5 and map size to 2048, and it looks good.

Edited by Judith

Okay, I used the update 11 build instead of volumetric and deleted volumetric keyword from light materials to make them work. I see the pixelated shadows in the first example, but that alcove window on the right (alphatest plane) doesn't show any shadows.

Edit: that said, the shadow mapping works nice with higher values. I set the soft shadows quality to high, radius to 5 and map size to 2048, and it looks good.

Then it must be something in your old .cfg that prevents the shadow maps to show?

No idea, I only have this in my autocommands.cfg:

com_allowConsole "1"
con_noprint "0"
set g_fov "85"

r_postprocess_bloomIntensity "1"
r_postprocess_bloomKernelSize ".5"

Also, maybe I'm misunderstanding something, does having shadow maps equals having transparency shadow maps?

pic0295.gif --> pic0294.gif

http://www.rastertek.com/dx10tut49.html

Also, maybe I'm misunderstanding something, does having shadow maps equals having transparency shadow maps?

http://www.rastertek.com/dx10tut49.html

Yes, it should work like on the right picture.

No idea, I only have this in my autocommands.cfg:

com_allowConsole "1"

con_noprint "0"

set g_fov "85"

r_postprocess_bloomIntensity "1"

r_postprocess_bloomKernelSize ".5"

I'm talking about darkmod.cfg, not the autocommands.cfg

A quick comparison. Both shadow modes have quality set to very high and radius to 5.

Soft stencil shadows:

obraz.png

Shadowmaps with shadowmap size 1024:

obraz.png

Shadow maps fare better, because they get more blurred with the distance, although maybe they could have some better filtering. 1024 px shadow maps can look quite pixelated, 2048 px looks better. Still can't get the transparency shadow maps to work though.