The Dark Mod Forums

Sad news, we lost one of our own - Sir Taffsalot.

Bikerdude

New Horizon originally let me know about this, from this I got in touch with one of Gary's friends who updated me on what happened. So like him I have to be the bearer of bad news -

Unfortunately he decided to take his life at Beachy Head in Eastbourne after losing his job and worrying that he may have osteoporosis, it was very sudden and unexpected. He’d been missing for a couple of weeks and I only found out on Monday what had happened.

Definitely agree, life is indeed short. I’ll let you know when I hear details about funeral service, date, location etc… I don’t know how many other people he knew on the Dark Mod forum but if you can let anyone else know on that side then that’d be appreciated.

Here is a list of all the FMs he created for us in his short time here -

Grayman has made a tribute mission in Sir Tafs honour -

Rest in peace Sir Taff.

avatars-000306824245-kgo9x8-t500x500.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 4

I am very sorry to learn this. He was a good man.

Rest in Peace, Sir!

• Like 3

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

:(

I sincerely dislike how unfair a place the world can be at times.

As a fellow Taffer, I wish Sir Taffsalot's soul eternal peace and rest.

Rest in peace, Gary. You left us all far too young. :( People should never die that young.

Deepest condolences to his family and relatives.

• Like 1

Sad to hear this, I hadn't known him personally but it's a hard thing to lose one of our own.

I hadn't played any of his missions yet but just listening to his sound cloud alone, there's so much depth and emotion. A shame indeed, he will be missed.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I don't know what it counts for but "Let Sleeping Thieves Lie" is still one of my favorite missions
and I think it was one of the first to incorporate "rope-arrow to upper floor window" in a way that
felt like T1\T2.

shot00006110.jpg

Rest in Peace Taffer.

:(

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

He was friendly & a good member for us. I remember only nice things about him.

It's a sad loss, and we should feel fortunate to have his FMs as a remembrance.

Clear skies, Gary.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Oh man, I cant believe this... Many moons ago, while I was still living in London, I got to meet both Bikerdude and Gary on a friendly get together at biker's place. We had a fun time and I remember the conversation we had on the way back, sitting side by side on the train. He was a nice, shy person, who obviously had a lot of creativity in him. This left me very depressed. The world is a rough place indeed, we should always remember to seek other people's warmth and support, while we can.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 4

This is such sad news. It breaks my heart to hear he took his own life. Especially since Osteoporsis is completely reversible today (I have it). It just

comes down to the same old thing. Talk about your problems, don't hold them in. When you're in that dark dark place, it's so hard to talk, I was there

recently due to a wrong dosage of hydrocortisone, and it's very hard to see a light. I didn't know him, but knew of him, and it deeply saddens me that he took his own

life. One taffer, that will be missed by all. :( Rest in Peace. :( My condolences to his family. They must be devastated.

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Like 3

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Personally I think about blowing my brains out from time to time. I'm not very interested in the direction that society is heading in. As I get older, the only things there are to "look forward" to, are higher prices and more of my freedoms being taken away every decade, not to mention natural medical problems that will crop up. I already have a severe vision loss, and it does seem to be deteriorating as I get older. The thing that many do not realize is that handicapped people are frequently preyed upon by society. For one example, if you're blind, it costs about $1000 for a program that reads the screen of the computer to you. Dealing with people taking advantage of you is worse than dealing with the impairment itself.

I knew a guy in high school who did lose all his vision and so shot himself in the face some years prior. He survived, but has a speech impediment now. He was a friendly guy. If I ever end up completely blind, I would not hesitate to do the same to myself. A few months ago I went to the local gun shop to check things out. They're pretty expensive here. I think the 357 was $700 and the shotgun was $450. But I learned that shotguns can be purchased much cheaper online. Using a 357 to do myself in would probably be less foolproof since the projectile is smaller and would likely miss vital parts of my head. Using a shotgun would be more difficult to aim, but would definitely get the job done, as well as making one hell of a mess for the assholes to clean up. :) On the walk home I started thinking about how I would afford it, given bills that must be paid. But then it hit me that I wouldn't actually need to worry about paying bills that month anyway, and I laughed.

Some people find satisfaction in starting a family. I have zero interest in doing that whatsoever. Another thing that brings people happiness are friends. When I was younger, I felt as though many people were my friends. But these days when I call or text them, they never ever answer or respond, even though they're all carrying around devices 24/7 that are constantly connected, so clearly they never were.

I think if I'm still here by 50, that will be the time to call it quits. I'm 34 now. Definitely don't want to live to 80 or 90, though. There is one good friend that I wouldn't want to disappoint, but unfortunately they're almost double my age and that means at some point I will probably have to cope with losing them to the natural causes of aging.