The Dark Mod Forums

NeonsStyle

It's well worth it once the unlimted savegames and easier lockpicking is installed. Lockpicking is ok on console,

due to the analogue stick, but on PC it's horrid so you need the mod. All available from nexusmods as manual

downloads.

The mods I'm using: All these go in <gamefolder>/Data

unlimited saves

RicherMerchants - otherwise you never get any good gear cause merchants only have less than 100 grosher this gives them all 10k so you can

get kitted out late game.

Cheaper Training, as you need it early on and it's quite expensive, so it makes the start quite difficult without it.

Easierlockpicking

restoreHalberds because devs took them out now u can use them

No Helmet Vision cause why would you want it

Unintrusive Reticule for bow as the game doesn't have one.

150 Base weight as you have enough base weight for armour and weapons and bit of food. - don't think this works though as my base is 113

There's another which goes in the games main folder: user.cfg create it and add

wh_pl_showfirecursor=1 - gives reticule for bow
e_VolumetricFog=1
r_motionblur=0
  • Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

It's a wicked game. I think if you've got any interest in medieval, then this is a must play, not just for the theme, but for

the level of detail is insane, and the amount of history they've pumped into it, and the original story.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I've been watching videos of it, and it indeed looks very realistic and immersive.

My first frame of reference is Skyrim, and it makes Skyrim look like a fantasy comic book by comparison. Obvious care went into making every small corner of its large world look as natural and real as possible, with just the right amount of mud, filth, garbage, and weeds lovingly strewn in just the right places.

It's on my wishlist. I might get it the next big sale that comes around.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The story premise seems slightly generic.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

Is based on real history, real life is indeed very generic. XD

Hey, well ArmA managed to make generic real life simulators interesting with their stories IMHO. Why doesn't Kingdom Come give me that impression - no idea.

Or, making good story in Mafia City of Lost Heaven versus having a boring open world.

Can't be great at everything.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Hey, well ArmA managed to make generic real life simulators interesting with their stories IMHO. Why doesn't Kingdom Come give me that impression - no idea.

Or, making good story in Mafia City of Lost Heaven versus having a boring open world.

Can't be great at everything.

Never played Arma so i can't comment on that, but Mafia (that i'm a fan off) hardly comes has "real life" representation, Mafia is a movie like, representation of the gangster life, a very good one at that but imo is no different from a Hollywood movie about the subject, you seem to like more movie like experiences and perhaps KCD is to realistic for your tastes, but is hard to make something feel interesting when that stuff is based on real history, specially when you don't want to deviate from what really happened, perhaps this is not a game for you and that is ok.

But to me KCD history is no different from, for example, Game of Thrones, apart from removing all the fantasy, the rest is there, the politic games are there, the battles are there, the bad kings are there, the massacres are there, religion messing in politics are there, etc.

And truth be told medieval life was boring for the most part, if you where not a noble you would work on the field from dusk till down till you died of some simple disease and life was short, majority of people died even before the age of 10 and the max life expectancy for everyone was 30 years old, specially when at 16 years old you were already considered adult (some cultures even at the age of 14) and able to command armies and fight in battles, no wonder that age was filled with violence, death and superstition, a bunch of ignorant kids running around starting wars, dark ages indeed.

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

Actually, 30 was the average life expectancy (not maximum life span), mainly attributed of the high mortality rate of infants you mentioned. That does not mean that people did not get old (excluding times of pandemics like the plague, which drastically raised mortality rates in general). If you made it out of puberty, your life expectancy was not that much worse than nowadays. Maybe not 80 to 90, but reaching an age of 70 was not that uncommon. However, as the life expectancy sums up deaths at all ages, the death of infants drastically reduce the average life expectancy. Unfortunately (and kind of undermining myself), I cannot give you more credible sources than Wikipedia (my own knowledge comes from a history teacher in my family).

That's always the problem with statistical values. Almost noone knows how they are calculated, but everyone leaps to the weirdest conclusions based on them. :(

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Lol, my life motto :D

• Like 1

Never played Arma so i can't comment on that, but Mafia (that i'm a fan off) hardly comes has "real life" representation, Mafia is a movie like, representation of the gangster life, a very good one at that but imo is no different from a Hollywood movie about the subject, you seem to like more movie like experiences and perhaps KCD is to realistic for your tastes, but is hard to make something feel interesting when that stuff is based on real history, specially when you don't want to deviate from what really happened, perhaps this is not a game for you and that is ok.

But to me KCD history is no different from, for example, Game of Thrones, apart from removing all the fantasy, the rest is there, the politic games are there, the battles are there, the bad kings are there, the massacres are there, religion messing in politics are there, etc.

And truth be told medieval life was boring for the most part, if you where not a noble you would work on the field from dusk till down till you died of some simple disease and life was short, majority of people died even before the age of 10 and the max life expectancy for everyone was 30 years old, specially when at 16 years old you were already considered adult (some cultures even at the age of 14) and able to command armies and fight in battles, no wonder that age was filled with violence, death and superstition, a bunch of ignorant kids running around starting wars, dark ages indeed.

Agreed with everything except Game of Thrones. Because that thing doesn't have taste and apparently inserts sex scenes just for bragging.

In that case better to invoke "Hard to be a God" or "With Fire and Sword".

Ofc I can't pretend to know KCD because I didn't play it. Correct me if I'm wrong regarding how good the story would be in there.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

That's always the problem with statistical values. Almost noone knows how they are calculated, but everyone leaps to the weirdest conclusions based on them. :(

In general, when you hear a non-statistician use a phrase like "on average", you know that what follows is going to be bullshit.

It's like the present-day yapping about "average salary" of particular groups of people. A thoroughly meaningless statistic that doesn't prove any of the things people desperately want to prove.

As long as most people believe it, I guess those groups are happy.