The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod Youtube Channel

RPGista

Sorry if this is already a thing, but I was wondering if we have a DarkMod official youtube channel (or if we could have one) where we can collect not only trailers and stuff, but more importantly, all the video tutorial series we have from people like Springheel, Sotha, Obs, Komag, Bikerdude, etc. It would be pretty sweet to have those playlisted or linked or something like that - Im not really knowledgeable of youtube stuff. Basicly, having all that valuable info collected in a single place.

Edited by RPGista

Yes, that would be nice.

And its easy to create, but someone of the team needs to manage it.

idea: you create the google account, login with that on youtube, create a page and put some playlists on it.

Finally give useraccount password to someone of the team.

And to help the owner of the page:

youtube gaming - TDM

Video tutorials links on the wiki

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I know.

The manager of the future tdm ytvideo page,can use that as a example.

And can copy the links of the videos.

Shall i create an page to give the manager a running start?

And give the future manager the keys after this?

And as a joke,

shall we create an instagram page?

(with nice pictures from the TDM world)

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I'd love to help create a channel for our project, or help manage one. I do have some experience with this (over my decade of YT-ing), even though I don't upload or sort videos that regularly. But I'm good with adding and editing playlists, so if anyone has any interest in me helping with that bit of the promo (at least for collected existing videos or reuploaded videos), I will be very glad to help.

Do you mean this one: The Dark Mod
Of so, its needs a serious redesign.

I've noticed that one a while back. Yes, if that's our channel, it could use some redesigning. Sorting stuff into playlists and so on. Linking to videos on other people's channels, if they're too hard to move right now. Adding links to affiliated channels (channels that have provided other TDM videos, whether on editing/modding, or LPs, or anything else). Adding a reasonably detailed but brief description for the whole channel.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 1

I don't think that's terribly important.

It will eventually die out, password going to be lost or whatnot. Channels that die take all their videos to the coffin with them unfortunately. After the important stuff gets uploaded, the person managing the channel will switch to other interests and dump it all as always.

Moreover, the videos uploaded will mostly be copies of existing uploaded videos.

AFAIK the most important stuff is already on TaffersInn channel with all things related to Thief (including The Dark Mod). Without the need to mention that just for 1 video their previous channel got flagged and closed because of a person abusing copyright over concept art used in a fan video. Attitudes like that and the mess that the copyright and strike system is on YouTube renders the effort worthless IMHO.

It would be good just to focus on managing the existent page of facebook and the current forum/wiki.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 2

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Well, youtube/twitch/etc is the new tv.

And If we can use it to promote TDM,

to get new community members,

This would be nice.

At least make contact the owner of the page, to give us the logindata.

so someone can update the page and another one keeps the video up to date.

(and set the forgetpassword emailadress to the main mailcontactadress)

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Won't deny that it's true but there's no better promotion than being on Steam.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

I'd love to help create a channel for our project, or help manage one. I do have some experience with this (over my decade of YT-ing), even though I don't upload or sort videos that regularly. But I'm good with adding and editing playlists, so if anyone has any interest in me helping with that bit of the promo (at least for collected existing videos or reuploaded videos), I will be very glad to help.

I've noticed that one a while back. Yes, if that's our channel, it could use some redesigning. Sorting stuff into playlists and so on. Linking to videos on other people's channels, if they're too hard to move right now. Adding links to affiliated channels (channels that have provided other TDM videos, whether on editing/modding, or LPs, or anything else). Adding a reasonably detailed but brief description for the whole channel.

Glad to hear it my friend. Thats bascily what would be needed, IMO. Sorting things into collections or playlists, linking to relevant videos and other channels. We definitely dont need an all encompassing list of every darkmod video out there, just the most important ones we feel an official channel should point players/would be mappers to. In my eyes, the official trailers, some quality reviews, and the meat of TDM, the tutorial series. If we are getting ambitious, links to the various lets play series around.

Its just that if you go on youtube and search for darkmod, even darkmod tutorial or some such generic query, you get a lot of random lets play videos, a bunch of scattered tutorials, unrelated stuff, and it would be nice to have a channel there that lists all the essential material the community would want to showcase.

As for your concerns, Anderson, I dont really see a reason for it to be the exclusive job of a team member, the access could be open for anyone in the community, and while the channel could be managed mainly by someone knowledgeable like Petike, as a volunteer, pretty much anyone could step up in the future and it could be a bit of a wikipedia page, where people can go and tidy it up if they feel its needed. Even if it is to remain exclusive to the team, once the main work is done, we would already have a very good source of material set up for the future, despite members moving on or occasional updates taking longer to happen.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 2

I also think an official channel would be great! and would add that I think it should have video updates with a short trailer for every new FM that is released. I'm sure there are many people who "forget" about TDM because they have to either check the forums or load up the client in order to find out if there are any new FMs. But with a simple YT subscription they would get a little notification whenever there is a new one, making it a lot more likely they'll see it.

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Won't deny that it's true but there's no better promotion than being on Steam.

I don't think this would matter as much as some people thiink, since there are too many really bad games on Steam nowadays, especially some mod turned into standalone games like the recently released HL2 mod "Hunt Down The Freeman"...

• Like 1

Source mods are really out of the question. Especially since mods/games on the Source engine always use the same art assets/sounds. By now for anyone who's caught the first Source games in the beginning , people like that just get tired of them.

Not the case with stuff like No More Room in Hell where they've put a lot of effort with dynamic music, generated level scenarios (something like in Left 4 Dead) and there's quality in every polished detail.

For the same reasons The Dark Mod stands out.

• Like 1

badge?user=andarson

I think it would be great if we could take up on Petike's offer and let him have a crack at fleshing out the channel. Adjustments could easily be done by someone on the team afterwards, and any improvements that might come from it would be welcomed, and wouldnt hurt. What do you guys say?

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

It would be possible to use also use Steam to promote, collect and curate the existing youtube videos and regularly ensure members there got to see them by using TDM's steam group page.

People on Steam will receive a notification every time a link to a youtube video (or anything else) is posted as an announcement.

Similar to how this toss-weasel does it:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/anomalygroup#announcements

Idk how he gets 12k clicks on a photo of a thumbs up on instagram.
That group is nothing but to announce to people on Steam that there is a new youtube video posted and plug external links.
Once every few days, no spam. Short, snappy, direct announcements that deliver whatever it is those 1/4million misguided people think is so great about it...
All the users get a notification when they sign in that the guy has posted an anouncement and they know it's a new video.

The steam group announcements for TDM would also be good to notify community of new FM releases. Even a retrospect of the current missions, over time.
Especially if accompanied by a link to a youtube trailer of the video or to the forum post about it.

When a youtube video is posted into a steam group as an announcement, it plays in steam and means I might watch it because I know I won't get distracted by shit videos or autoplay and don't have to flick between browser and steam.
I can even watch it on the overlay while playing a game and waiting for people to join the lobby or for someone to take their turn or a break or something.

There hasn't been an announcement in TDM steam group for over a year.
The announcements are very long. Like - my usual forum post here kinda long.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/thedarkmod#

Reckon that TDM steam group is very under utilised - just because of the greenlight thing doesn't mean it has to be abandoned.
It still has plenty of use for notifiying people about TDM information, videos and stuff - delivering games content within a games service.

Wouldn't need to bother with youtube channel if the steam group, attached to facebook and forums, became a hub and collected the fragmented videos and important announcements and mission releases and stuff.

There are likely many people who play the game who are on steam who do not visit forums or participate.
But there's always guests visiting TDM and reading stuff. Wonder how many of them are on steam and don't know about the steam group..?

I can't remember if Dark Radiant worked with steam broadcasting, but it's possible to set steam broadcasting to show the whole screen.
This means that there can be an announcement, for which I'd get a notification, and - another time - an event scheduled, for which I'd get a notification and a pop-up, for a Let's play live broadcast or a DR tutorial session or even just an extra reminder that there's a new FM out and maybe someone is playing it so I can take a look if there's no video trailer.

The game doesn't need to be in the steam store for it to have a presence on steam.
It's as if TDM has given up on steam because of the greenlight thing. Idk why.

I never, ever check my youtube subscriptions - or watch game streaming, twitch is crap. If I want to buy a game but not sure, I'll just look it up on steam broadcasting and watch someone who's playing it for 5 mins while the pirate copy is downloading, to try it out for myself before buying it or deleting it. Have all emails and notes from google services turned off, because they are very annoying and spam my email inboxes.

I occasionally check facebook. Watch Lawrence Kenshin Striking Breakdowns (not on his youtube) and maybe message someone. Everyone is snoozed because idgaf about cat memes and Facebook sends emails I don't want. I dismiss the phone notes immediately, Facebook sucks. Instagram is better - I know when it notifies, it's something I want to see or someone I 90-100% want to talk with, like 50% of the people on whatsapp and 0% on linkedin.

I always, always read my steam notifications. Steam doesn't spam me with email. I open it up at least 3-4 times a week most weeks, even if only to chat with someone and look at activity and check notifications. I'll even check my phone for some steam notifications when they buzz before getting to the computer. It's always something I want to see.

It'd be the best of both worlds, or all four if run in conjunction with facebook and forums and collected ppl's youtube videos with relevant announcement messages.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think it would be great if we could take up on Petike's offer and let him have a crack at fleshing out the channel. Adjustments could easily be done by someone on the team afterwards, and any improvements that might come from it would be welcomed, and wouldnt hurt. What do you guys say?

Thank you kindly. I would like to try and expand it a bit. However, I'd need editing permission there first, as I've only ever managed my own channel. Another good bit of help would be collecting the banners and backgrounds we've made over the years for TDM promotion. Maybe some bit of that background art could be picked to help make the channel distinct. The rest of the work will be down to the info section and the playlists.

----

Later update: Nevermind the talk of a banner. Since working on the channel, I have noticed it already has a pretty good banner of its own.

• Like 1

Btw. that kind of initiative seems perfect for TDM YT channel: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19392-tdm-mappers-podcast/

Yes, we could combine the whole effort. It's the easiest thing in the world to upload podcast episodes and then put them in their own playlist. We can have a few playlists showcased on the opening page of the channel, and one of the playlists could include the podcast. (Or multiple podcast series, if we ever do more than one, i.e. a podcast for level builders, a general podcast about the mod, etc. I myself lean towards having just a single podcast, but having a rotating range of topics concerning various aspects of TDM.)

Definitely. Would be a great way to start.

So, who has "the keys" to the existing official channel ? I'll start refurbishing it, I don't have much to do now, but I need official permission to use it. Otherwise I'm just a spectator.

• Like 1