The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Sir Taffsalot's Sword (by grayman) (2018/3/18)

grayman

Sir Taffsalot's Sword  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, fun duration, smooth flow, etc. vs Bugs, boredom, frustration, frame lag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story: Story and text, briefing, graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Congrats on the release!

I have created an FM page for you and uploaded the mission to the official servers. If you want any changes just drop me a PM and i'll make them for you.

P.s. I thought it was 2018 :P

Sir Taff passed away? Damn. I Didn't know.. Sad times. My condolences.

What a Beautiful Idea to make a mission tribute for him, grayman!

Farewell, Sir Taffsalot. Thanks for being here with us.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks Grayman, looks awesome. Kind of like a spiritual successor to Knightan Manor, a mission I love because of the tried and true (when it comes to mansion missions) nonlinear design and various ways to get around.

I'll try it out tonight; playing TDM during the day time just feels wrong.

• Like 1

Really a very nice idea. Congrats on the release.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks Grayman, looks awesome. Kind of like a spiritual successor to Knightan Manor, a mission I love because of the tried and true (when it comes to mansion missions) nonlinear design and various ways to get around.

I'll try it out tonight; playing TDM during the day time just feels wrong.

You're so right :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Whoa, that's a very nice gesture Grayman. I will definitely give this mission a spin during the week. R.I.P Gary.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Sir Taff passed away? Damn. I Didn't know.. Sad times. My condolences.

What a Beautiful Idea to make a mission tribute for him, grayman!

Farewell, Sir Taffsalot. Thanks for being here with us.

There's a thread here maybe it should be pinned ?

That's a nice idea for a tribute. It's impressive, given it was built in just 3 weeks. Technically it's also pretty sound, I had no problems with framerate. If I had any problems with this mission, it was lack of variety between mansion floors and rooms. But that would definitely take more than 3 weeks to build.

Thank you. This is a nice tribute. Playing on Expert, I had a crash to desktop after the final dedicatory message when the mission stats screen should have loaded, but that may be my installation. I get intermittent CTDs when making manual saves too.

PS it might be an idea to put a post about this FM on ttlg.com as well.

Edited by Marbrien

That was a really enjoyable mission, the visual atmosphere was fantastic. Took me 33 minutes to finish on expert with all loot found (a rarity for me) and all extra objectives completed.

Lord Asher's little secret was a lot of fun to find and also how you built that area back there was really well done, it's quite refreshing to discover little fresh things like that in missions so bravo!

With that said though, I don't know if I can trust the true value of all of those paintings I stole from his mansion now :P

What a lovely way to show homage to Sir Taffsalot may he rest in peace.

Thanks for this mission Grayman!

• Like 1

What a lovely tribute mission.

Can't find the sword which stops me completing it , but never mind , I've enjoyed the scenery!

Can't do spoilers on this tablet but think I've found enough stuff to find it if someone can give a slight clue.I suspect this is a very straightforward mission but I can't seem to mimic those who say they completed it in thirty odd minutes.I seem to have been wandering for hours avoiding guards.

@raymeld:

Thanks for playing.

First hint re: sword ...

Assuming you found Lord Asher's bedroom, look on the floor for a hint about a secret door. A secret door needs a secret button.

Second hint ...

Read the journal in Asher's desk. There's a hint about a hidden button. This button needs a hidden key.

Third hint ...

There's a hidden button on Asher's fireplace. Asher's journal hints where the key to it might be.

Fourth hint ...

Climb on top of Asher's bed.

Ah grayman , I was on the track but not quite there and wandered aimlessly for an houe avoiding guards in the process!

Have had a lot of fun though.

A beautiful way to pay tribute to Sir T.Thank you!

P.s Finished it in double quick time.Feel a fool because what I'd done was pressed that pesky button twice with obvious result , silly me.I'd actually done everything to finish apart from that silly mistake.Thanks again.

What a cool tribute to Sir Taffsalot! I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the mansion, which was as "painterly" as the task itself - lit up just right to be gloomy and challenging. This is an excellent use of the architectural modules. I am not entirely a fan of the guarded loot mechanic, but i stuck with it, and although I had to brute force a few places with KOs (including the entire upper floor!), I walked away with most of the stuff in the mansion. It was good how the place felt alive even at this late time of the night, and how you brought a sense of "reality" to it.

Thank you!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved