The Dark Mod Forums

Default Material when creating Brushes

I'm looking at this older entry on the tracker: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=2727

When a shader is selected from the Media Browser, and a brush is created with a drag operation (vis-a-vis cloning), it should inherit the current shader on all its faces. However, this does not happen; the surfaces show "Shader Not Found".

Selecting a texture from the Texture Browser does not demonstrate this bug, and neither does copying the shader from the face of a selected (already textured) brush.

If we have copied a shader (X) with one of the previous two methods, and select a different one (Y) from the Media Browser, the brushes being created still inherit (X).

I'm wondering what most of the active mappers think about this. Should selecting a material in the Media Browser make this the default when, for instance, drag-creating a new brush? Currently, the selection in the Texture Browser tab defines the default material.

Should the Media Browser selection used instead?

Or should selecting a material in the Media Browser also select the material in the Texture Browser?

Should selecting a material in the Media Browser make this the default when, for instance, drag-creating a new brush?

Yes, IMO that should be simplified. Btw. I see that now we can double-click a material in Media Browser to apply it to a brush, this is also a good idea, I was about to suggest that :)

Or should selecting a material in the Media Browser also select the material in the Texture Browser?

This is kind of tricky. In a way, the Media Browser and Texture Browser double their functionalities, i.e. listing materials. Maybe they should be combined to something like this?

DoorFrameInContentBrowser.jpg

Yes, this would make more sense than what we have at the moment because:

1) Currently when making a new map there's no way to avoid making a 'no shader found' brush as the texture browser starts empty.

2) New mappers should find it more intuitive when their selection in the media browser is what shows up on their new brushes.

The thread title actually made me think of being able to set up your own default texture that new brushes receive if you haven't selected anything in the browsers yet, similar to what we have with new faces created by the clipper. This would also be a feature I'd like. Maybe caulk would be a better default than a 'no shader found' brush?

Thanks for your ongoing development work, I much appreciate it. Most recently, the exporter revisions have been a great asset in turning some of my mapped ships into models.

I don't think this would work: the texture browser seems to exist to display the textures that are used in the map currently, while the media browser shows all available textures. What would you do if you selected a texture that doesn't exist in your map yet?

Edited by Dragofer