The Dark Mod Forums

20th anniversary of Unreal (free on GoG / Steam)

lowenz

Thats a nice mod :blink:

Thanks. :) Believe it or not, i never played Unreal.

Its a must-play!

(some favourite maps are: trench, thesunspire, bluff)

Unrealed is my first leveleditor i ever tried to use.

I edited existing maps for Unreal tournament 1 mod Thievery-ut: Freyks haven.

(based on illhaven-saga)

It's not available on Steam somehow, in Germany, so, i had to grab it from GOG.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/13250/Unreal_Gold/

After the installation,

I recommend installing Patch 227I, that lowenz pointed to.

use "Installer for Unreal versions with Return to Napali" and select the direct3d9 or opengl videodriver.

And hd texture mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/high-resolution-unreal-skins

For some beautiful maps:

https://www.oldunreal.com/maps/single/

(tip: personal favorite map-suite on that list "shrakitha")

Thanks for the heads up, lowenz. ^_^

Edited by freyk
  • Like 2

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

This game was pretty amazing when it came out. The graphics were unmatched, the sound was on a whole new level to that of Quake, the weapons were actually innovative (not just pistol... shotgun... again), the AI was pretty tough (though there are fewer of them).

The soundtrack is also great, along with that of UT99. I had fun discovering the bugs in this game. There are some places where you can walk over a cliff and float in the air as long as you continue to hold down the crouch button. And on the beginning of the SunSpire map, there is a book in the little hut. If you shoot the book and then start jumping on it, it will gib you. You can also use books to fly way up in the air. Just spawn one (or move one) into an outdoor environment, stand on it, and start blasting it. You'll fly up, up and away! Just hope that you don't fall off the book while doing this, because gravity is still the unkind force that it usually is, and as long as the book contacts the ground beneath you, it absorbs the falling damage and you take none.

I used to play this game online a lot. That's how I found some of the bugs. We played co-op mostly. Sometimes people would cause trouble, like standing and blocking lifts or doors. The game didn't have the feature of banning people and I didn't know how to use a firewall to accomplish that, so I would change the physics of their class so that they were assigned -999 gravity. This would cause them to float up to the top of the area. Then I would set the gravity to 999999 so that they would smash into the ground at the speed of sound. There is another bug in the game where (if you do this) it leaves their display spinning and twitching like crazy until they disconnect and join again. Even respawning won't fix it!

You can edit the physics of things while the game is running with console commands, such as changing the gravity, jump height, weapon momentum when someone is hit, etc. Other fun things to do were set the weapons to fire many times per second, change the projectiles so that they sent entities flying etc.

Of course, all this requires you to be the server administrator.

Edited by kano
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...