The Dark Mod Forums

Chronicles of Skulduggery: Pearls and Swine

Bienie

Hi Bienie,

Congratulations on completing your first mission! Thank you very much for all of the effort it would have taken to create and share it with us. It looks fantastic and I can't wait to go home and play it :D

Discovering that a new mission has been released at TDM is one of my favorite things these days.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Tried it on hardest first but quickly switched to medium difficulty because i really wanted to blackjack all the people in the tavern. From there on i really enjoyed it despite constantly wondering what i might have missed by not chosing the highest difficulty mode.

How do i drop some loot to fullfill my part of the contract after taking the note and tooth of that kid?

After opening the window you reach by climbing up the rafters at the top of the stairs and following the thief's highway to the end, you can climb it and reach the ridge. You can see the end of the world from there. Instead of climbing to the ridge you can also jump-mantle ontop of the city wall for an even better view at the void.

I found no reliable way to tell openable and non-openable windows appart from a distance if they where not already open. A solution like on the doors, where the permanently sealed ones look more flat (because they are just textured planes lacking any geometry) than the usable ones, would be nice.

• Like 1

Awesome mission and a great first impression!

I only found 8 secrets and 2947 loot.

Two points of feedback:

Consider a secret objective for dropping Percival's secret journal in the Cordelia's room. Secret objectives reward players for going out of their way.

The secret cash box up high among the roofs seems to be clipping in to the wood, I couldn't see it's contents when opened.

I really enjoyed this mission. Thank you, Bienie!

The textures, lighting and models were all great. I also like the underlying story and the hints as to where the "Chronicles of Skulduggery" is headed as a series.

I found 3275 loot, and 8 out of 11 secrets.

I also really enjoyed...

1) Helping Annabelle and William find each other (while robbing the both of them blind!) It was a nice touch.

2) "Cockwit" (and the notice about the honorable sport of cockery with the "prefix of d", lol)

3) The actual wind chimes. You often hear the Pagan-esque wind chimes in these missions, but it was nice to actually see the source of the sound for once, blowing in the wind up on high.

4) The distant city, when you see it from the rooftops. In some missions it looks terrible, but you made it look believable.

5) The little scene with the drunk who was lying to his mother in his letters (after throwing her portrait in the trash), as well as the other NPC who was fearful of "The Raven" - They both did a good job of adding to the immersion.

One thing I did not like...

Stealing the little boy's money from the tooth fairy. That was fucked up :angry:

With regards to anything I might have missed...

What was the deal with the guard's riddle referring to the place where "the lady leaves her dirt and a bugger looks up her skirt", about payment for a bet? Because that sounds to me like it has to be a bathtub, basin, or toilet, but none of those things contained any treasure in Cordelia's bathroom. I did find the switch above her bed and the secret area within the bathroom, but I wasn't sure if that was related to the riddle or not?

Thank you again for this wonderful mission. It was really detailed and a lot of fun to play!

Tried it on hardest first but quickly switched to medium difficulty because i really wanted to blackjack all the people in the tavern. From there on i really enjoyed it despite constantly wondering what i might have missed by not chosing the highest difficulty mode.

How do i drop some loot to fullfill my part of the contract after taking the note and tooth of that kid?

After opening the window you reach by climbing up the rafters at the top of the stairs and following the thief's highway to the end, you can climb it and reach the ridge. You can see the end of the world from there. Instead of climbing to the ridge you can also jump-mantle ontop of the city wall for an even better view at the void.

I found no reliable way to tell openable and non-openable windows appart from a distance if they where not already open. A solution like on the doors, where the permanently sealed ones look more flat (because they are just textured planes lacking any geometry) than the usable ones, would be nice.

Well let me put your fears to rest in that you are not missing out on any content by choosing a lower difficulty, aside from being able to miss the entire area where the golden lion is if you don't need to go there. The differences summed up amount to, on hardest difficulty, harsher lighting, more guard NPCs and harder objectives.

That thing you picked up was the coin and not the tooth, so you stole the kid's money. The point of the note to the tooth fairy is that you should feel some moral qualms when reading it, seeing that golden coin that the tooth fairy (or more likely a parent) left for the kid and debating with yourself whether to steal it or not. Or, if you pick the coin up before reading the note, that you should kick yourself for stealing before thinking or something.

Interesting that you were able to parkour up on to the city wall. I tried doing that to see if it was possible but was never able to find any place where I could mantle. I guess it is true to the old Thief games where you would often get a face full of void when you tried climbing in unintended places!

It's true that the openable and non-openable windows look the same, they are part of the same module set. I feel like I got most of the visual hints in though, by either leaving them open or providing a balcony or similar underneath the openable ones that weren't already ajar. There are maybe a couple that aren't obvious though.

Awesome mission and a great first impression!

I only found 8 secrets and 2947 loot.

Two points of feedback:

Consider a secret objective for dropping Percival's secret journal in the Cordelia's room. Secret objectives reward players for going out of their way.

The secret cash box up high among the roofs seems to be clipping in to the wood, I couldn't see it's contents when opened.

Ooh that would have been a nice one. Should have thought of that. I did have another secret objective though, that was related to readables, so I'm fully on board with rewarding players who go out of their way exploring!

You found a bug it sounds like with the jewelry box... that was careless of me, were you still able to pick up the loot anyway? I actually changed that wooden beam because it was sticking through the roof into the Inn below, but I didn't check the jewelry box afterward. The beam must have been taller after the change was implemented. Ugh... that's what happens with last minute changes.

I really enjoyed this mission. Thank you, Bienie!

The textures, lighting and models were all great. I also like the underlying story and the hints as to where the "Chronicles of Skulduggery" is headed as a series.

I found 3275 loot, and 8 out of 11 secrets.

I also really enjoyed...

1) Helping Annabelle and William find each other (while robbing the both of them blind!) It was a nice touch.

2) "Cockwit" (and the notice about the honorable sport of cockery with the "prefix of d", lol)

3) The actual wind chimes. You often hear the Pagan-esque wind chimes in these missions, but it was nice to actually see the source of the sound for once, blowing in the wind up on high.

4) The distant city, when you see it from the rooftops. In some missions it looks terrible, but you made it look believable.

5) The little scene with the drunk who was lying to his mother in his letters (after throwing her portrait in the trash), as well as the other NPC who was fearful of "The Raven" - They both did a good job of adding to the immersion.

One thing I did not like...

Stealing the little boy's money from the tooth fairy. That was fucked up :angry:

With regards to anything I might have missed...

What was the deal with the guard's riddle referring to the place where "the lady leaves her dirt and a bugger looks up her skirt", about payment for a bet? Because that sounds to me like it has to be a bathtub, basin, or toilet, but none of those things contained any treasure in Cordelia's bathroom. I did find the switch above her bed and the secret area within the bathroom, but I wasn't sure if that was related to the riddle or not?

Thank you again for this wonderful mission. It was really detailed and a lot of fun to play!

Thank you for that shining review! I did try to flesh out the backstory as best I could and I now have a monumental task if I want to tie up all the loose ends in the sequels!!

I see you did a fair bit of exploring through the city streets, and I'm glad you spotted many of the little touches I added in the nooks and crannies of the map. Some characters, like Paul, and "Jackablade Jones" have almost as much backstory as the Lady Harrington herself, despite not even being in the mission! I wonder if you were able to follow their story arcs to find the loot (Pauls drugs and Jones' payoff money). I'm glad you enjoyed the Raven part. I originally meant to have the raven character eyeing the player from the top of the inn, but couldn't get it working correctly. I made him though and thought he looked pretty bad ass, so maybe he will cameo in an upcoming sequel!

I'm fully aware that the coin on the windowsill of the boy's room was the very definition of a "dick move", but I couldn't resist when the idea popped into my head! :ph34r:

Ah yes, the guard's riddle. I was afraid it would be a bit too simple, but I didn't expect the player to focus on the Lady's bedchambers, though that makes sense. Aside from the fact that the guards don't patrol in there, in fact they are not allowed in. If you're intending on replaying the mission I can give you this extra hint: A dark, forgotten corner hints at somewhere in the mansion where people don't regularly go, or give a second thought even though they pass over often. The Madame hides her dirt, meaning junk is stored there, and finally looking up a Lady's skirt is quite literal, except that neither the Madame nor the cook patrol here. If you just want to know where it is:

It's on top of a crate with junk on it that is stored underneath the stairs connecting the sitting room with the library. Basically next to the hidden room where you find the codes.

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

400h for the first mission!

What a dedication!

Just in response to this, yes it was dedication but I enjoyed almost every minute I spent working on it! I think 400 hours is probably a conservative estimate, and that's not counting the first draft of the mission which I probably spent another 150 hours on back in 2015. But it's a learning process and I now feel like I could make a similar mission in more like 100 hours with this experience under my belt. That's what I'm hoping for anyway with the sequel, which I started blocking out a bit this evening ;)

• Like 3

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Very nice and impressive mission ! ^_^
I had lots of fun making my way

to the rooftops and actually expecting to find a rope-arrow somewhere to get to a few places I couldn't find a way to in the first place. But finally figured out no rope-arrow is required at all.

The riddle

kept me busy as well for a while. I suspected a secret entrance to the sewers under the restroom for the audience visiting the ballroom.

What a gruelling red-herring ! :angry: No way to get down there... or is there ?

• Like 1

Awesome mission so far, congrats and thank you.

I am in the

exhibition room

but stuck in

operating the combination locks

No matter what I set in controls/weapons for next/prev weapon, I am cycling weapons mostly. After the message to use the mouse wheel triggers, I can set one

digit

and then I am damned to cycle weapons again.

Ubuntu 14.04; TDM 2.05; Thinkpad X230

Awesome mission so far, congrats and thank you.

I am in the

exhibition room

but stuck in

operating the combination locks

No matter what I set in controls/weapons for next/prev weapon, I am cycling weapons mostly. After the message to use the mouse wheel triggers, I can set one

digit

and then I am damned to cycle weapons again.

Ubuntu 14.04; TDM 2.05; Thinkpad X230

I found the solution. Each wheel needs to be frobbed before operation.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your release. I'll go play it now. Can't wait. :D

• Like 2

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Thank you for that shining review! I did try to flesh out the backstory as best I could and I now have a monumental task if I want to tie up all the loose ends in the sequels!!

I see you did a fair bit of exploring through the city streets, and I'm glad you spotted many of the little touches I added in the nooks and crannies of the map. Some characters, like Paul, and "Jackablade Jones" have almost as much backstory as the Lady Harrington herself, despite not even being in the mission! I wonder if you were able to follow their story arcs to find the loot (Pauls drugs and Jones' payoff money). I'm glad you enjoyed the Raven part. I originally meant to have the raven character eyeing the player from the top of the inn, but couldn't get it working correctly. I made him though and thought he looked pretty bad ass, so maybe he will cameo in an upcoming sequel!

I'm fully aware that the coin on the windowsill of the boy's room was the very definition of a "dick move", but I couldn't resist when the idea popped into my head! :ph34r:

Ah yes, the guard's riddle. I was afraid it would be a bit too simple, but I didn't expect the player to focus on the Lady's bedchambers, though that makes sense. Aside from the fact that the guards don't patrol in there, in fact they are not allowed in. If you're intending on replaying the mission I can give you this extra hint: A dark, forgotten corner hints at somewhere in the mansion where people don't regularly go, or give a second thought even though they pass over often. The Madame hides her dirt, meaning junk is stored there, and finally looking up a Lady's skirt is quite literal, except that neither the Madame nor the cook patrol here. If you just want to know where it is:

It's on top of a crate with junk on it that is stored underneath the stairs connecting the sitting room with the library. Basically next to the hidden room where you find the codes.

You did a great job of it all. This is one of the first missions where I've stopped to admire the embossed/plush wallpapers and parquet ceilings (especially in Sir William's flat). The AO seemed to have a lot more contrast in this mission than any others I've played (or maybe it's just the first time I've paid attention to it) and, even if it's baked and not real-time, it still added a little something extra to the look and feel of the level.

I only ever play these missions on the hardest difficulty for the added realism, and this one was certainly a challenge. I was only forced to use one of the allowed knockouts, on Karl in the inn, because I wanted to save my water arrows for later.

I did indeed find Jones' payoff money and I might have found Paul's drugs (but I'm not sure). It was nice that trying to get to the open window high above the door with "cockwit" scratched on it led me not only to the stash of payoff money, but also to the wind chimes and then Annabelle's house. I like discovering surprises like that.

Speaking of Annabelle, the beams in her flat really look like a place the player should explore, but then they turn out to be empty. I could only get up there by waking Annabelle, then jumping on her head in order to vault onto the beam (just to see what's up there). Maybe you should make it possible for players to get up there stealthily, just to confirm in their minds that they aren't missing anything on top of the beams? That's just a very minor nitpick though. Hardly worth mentioning.

That's great that you made the Raven character! I hope we do indeed see a cameo of him in the future.

Regarding the guard's riddle, I did find that payment beneath the stairs below the library (without realizing it was part of the riddle) because that was the first place I hid after coming in from the garden. It's also, incidentally, a good place to hide the lamp from the nearby table in order to stop the guards from re-lighting it.

This was a really well designed mission with lots to discover and multiple paths (like the inventor's flat, although I also felt bad robbing his stash from the book) and multiple entryways to the mansion. I went in via the sewage pipe that leads to the guardhouse toilet, which allowed me to discover Percival's diary on my own without any clues. That was also a fun discovery - "I guess I better check if there's anything under the desk, even though I know there wo... holy shit!"

I know these fan missions take up a lot of time and effort to create, but please don't stop. The Chronicles of Skulduggery looks to be an awesome little series and I can't wait to visit the...

Mage academy that locked itself away from the world, as well as the tomb where Duncan got up to all of his "skulduggery".

These fan missions always remind me of a time when gaming was pure, without all the political grandstanding and money-grabbing involved in today's mass produced "epics" that rehash the same old nonsense again and again. I remember when games were about escapism and immersing yourself in a fantasy world where you could just forget about everything else for a few hours, and that's exactly how missions like "Pearls and Swine" make me feel again.

Thank you very much for that experience, and please keep it up!

Edited by Kerry000
  • Like 1

You did a great job of it all. This is one of the first missions where I've stopped to admire the embossed/plush wallpapers and parquet ceilings (especially in Sir William's flat). The AO seemed to have a lot more contrast in this mission than any others I've played (or maybe it's just the first time I've paid attention to it) and, even if it's baked and not real-time, it still added a little something extra to the look and feel of the level.

I only ever play these missions on the hardest difficulty for the added realism, and this one was certainly a challenge. I was only forced to use one of the allowed knockouts, on Karl in the inn, because I wanted to save my water arrows for later.

I did indeed find Jones' payoff money and I might have found Paul's drugs (but I'm not sure). It was nice that trying to get to the open window high above the door with "cockwit" scratched on it led me not only to the stash of payoff money, but also to the wind chimes and then Annabelle's house. I like discovering surprises like that.

Speaking of Annabelle, the beams in her flat really look like a place the player should explore, but then they turn out to be empty. I could only get up there by waking Annabelle, then jumping on her head in order to vault onto the beam (just to see what's up there). Maybe you should make it possible for players to get up there stealthily, just to confirm in their minds that they aren't missing anything on top of the beams? That's just a very minor nitpick though. Hardly worth mentioning.

That's great that you made the Raven character! I hope we do indeed see a cameo of him in the future.

Regarding the guard's riddle, I did find that payment beneath the stairs below the library (without realizing it was part of the riddle) because that was the first place I hid after coming in from the garden. It's also, incidentally, a good place to hide the lamp from the nearby table in order to stop the guards from re-lighting it.

This was a really well designed mission with lots to discover and multiple paths (like the inventor's flat, although I also felt bad robbing his stash from the book) and multiple entryways to the mansion. I went in via the sewage pipe that leads to the guardhouse toilet, which allowed me to discover Percival's diary on my own without any clues. That was also a fun discovery - "I guess I better check if there's anything under the desk, even though I know there wo... holy shit!"

I know these fan missions take up a lot of time and effort to create, but please don't stop. The Chronicles of Skulduggery looks to be an awesome little series and I can't wait to visit the...

Mage academy that locked itself away from the world, as well as the tomb where Duncan got up to all of his "skulduggery".

These fan missions always remind me of a time when gaming was pure, without all the political grandstanding and money-grabbing involved in today's mass produced "epics" that rehash the same old nonsense again and again. I remember when games were about escapism and immersing yourself in a fantasy world where you could just forget about everything else for a few hours, and that's exactly how missions like "Pearls and Swine" make me feel again.

Thank you very much for that experience, and please keep it up!

Well this is exactly what I was hoping to provide to the community, a mission that is engrossing and allows you to escape from reality for a little while, and hopefully leave an impression on the player. So I'm very happy that this is what happened in your case! This mission is built for those players who, like myself, have an unwavering curiosity and want to explore every nook and cranny of the map. The "purity" of gaming experience is exactly what drew me to TDM in the first place as well, aside from my belief that it is the true successor to the Thief legacy. And I definitely want to further that in any way I can.

More to the specifics of the map;

Paul's drugs are hidden in the marketplace at his stand (the one with the hookah pipes), on the ground next to a gray package is a small purse with Mandrasola in it. A paper to his inept helper Peter was carelessly forgotten on the shelf above it. The Inventor's journal hints to the player that there's something fishy about Paul, and his own notes mention him having to refill his stash, because his customers are addicted.

You have a very keen eye to search on top of the rafters in Anabelle's flat. It is possible to mantle up by going on top of her dresser, but it is finnicky. I originally had a golden statuette up there, as a secret. But I thought it too devious, to have a "secretception", a secret in a hard to find spot that is already within a secret-ish room. haha. In fact, in the very beginning I had set the map up to have regular secrets, and a set of super-secrets that were separate. They were a set of small brooches that were magically interlinked, kind of sentient, called the Seven Sisters, and one of them was on the rafters there, another in a jar at Harold's Herbals, one hiding under a movable kettle in Oliver's attic, etc... but I never could figure out how to present it to the player in a believable way so I cut it out early on in the building process. But it's quite fun to hear that you would have found one of them :)

That is a good point about the riddle, it's quite likely the player will use that little nook for their own purposes before finding or realizing it's part of the riddle... It's a complex thing getting storytelling and pacing correct, especially in such a non-linear location. I guess Percival's secret journal is another example of this, though that one I would like to think is rare to discover without first reading the cleaning lady's journal!

As far as being able to explore the mages' guild and the tombs of Neferamen, I would like to make these missions for sure, but it will have to be later when I have much more mapping experience under my belt since they will require a lot more technical know-how and custom assets. As far as story is concerned they may become part of a trilogy about the "taffin' days" of Douglas Harrington, but will likely be separate from the CoS series of which there are at least two more in the pipeline. But I'm hoping it will become a long series á la Thomas Porter / Thieves' Den / Penny Dreadful.

• Like 3

My Fan Missions:

Very nice and impressive mission ! ^_^

I had lots of fun making my way

to the rooftops and actually expecting to find a rope-arrow somewhere to get to a few places I couldn't find a way to in the first place. But finally figured out no rope-arrow is required at all.

The riddle

kept me busy as well for a while. I suspected a secret entrance to the sewers under the restroom for the audience visiting the ballroom.

What a gruelling red-herring ! :angry: No way to get down there... or is there ?

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Exploration is the name of the game (or at least the mission ^^)

It seems a lot of people are getting stumped at the riddle, due to it having many ways of being interpreted. That's my bad.

The restroom next to the ballroom is actually kind of an architectural red herring, as the pipe would actually come out of the wall in the tunnel between Maple Ct. and Fletcher St... That would be a sight... haha. Hence the lid is non-openable and I didn't put anything in there. I tried to avoid making areas like that though, and most areas are correctly aligned and if not explorable, they at least could have been.

My Fan Missions:

Really enjoyed this mission. The design, gameplay and aesthetics were perfect. Thanks. Really good mission. :D

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Hi Bienie,

I just enjoyed a second playthrough. Found all loot and secrets! That's the first time I've managed to find everything in a TDM mission. There was one coin that I intentionally left behind and just counted as "found". You know which one.

I really struggled to find the last secret...

The ring beneath the table in Room 1 of the inn. I'm glad I double-checked on my way back from the mansion!

Here's a list of all 11 secrets, just in case anyone gets stuck:

1. Room 1 of the inn. There's a ring under the table.

2. The attic above Jones' shop (near Annabelle's window). There's a bottle of expensive wine on the floor.

3. In the passageway of Sir William's flat. There's a chalice behind the pot plant.

4. On the roof above the inn. There's a box containing a thief's note and some jewels.

5. A ladder leads to the attic of the "The Raven's" next victim. There's a painting beside some boxes.

6. In the second-floor passageway near the market area. There's a ring on the bookshelf.

7. Down the sewer grate beside the road near the market. There's a bottle of expensive wine in a hidden cellar.

8. In the manor library. There's a Builder statuette between the corner bookshelves.

9. Atop the closet in the backstage area of the manor ballroom. Another expensive wine.

10. Beneath the stairs in Duncan's secret study. There's a vase on the floor.

11. In the secret area behind the portrait of Winifred Harrington, on the second floor of the manor. A chalice.

Edited by Kerry000
  • Like 1

I loved it, and will be doing a perfect run video/walkthrough of it later.

Could I get a list of items to pick up and readable objects for later?

• Like 1

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Great mission, very impressive for your first, I needed help on one secret

I was fixated on secret panels & missed the frobable lamp

I spent ages trying to figure out how to get to certain rooms and finally worked out

I can jump a lot further than I thought I could

I feel a bit weird saying this but I love those sewers

Also had the issue with the thieves stash box

sinking into the woodwork

The contents were still frobable though it just looked empty

Could be my imagination but there might be a problem with

the switches behind the secret panels, I had to close & reopen them before I could frob the switch sometimes

Could have been my aim though

• Like 1