The Dark Mod Forums

What's your favorite PC game of all times?

chakkman

Just thought i'd start one of those fancy survey thingie. :)

Mine would be Deus Ex, for sure. Never played anything like it anymore. Really pretty perfect in all regards. Followed by Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition with all addons, System Shock 2, and the Thief's. Also, every GTA part since part 3 has been pretty great.

TDM because of its absurdly high replay value.

It really profits from its multiple authors with their different styles. It has enough and rather diverse missions so i can't remember them all and therefore get a nearly fresh and interesting experience after waiting some years before playing the missions again. Also you can just fire it up, select a mission and dive right in without the need to level a character or otherwise grind until you are allowed to get to the interesting content.

All the other games rapidly lost their replay value over time while TDM keeps improving.

That said: Try Ghost of a Tale for a fresh look at the stealth genre. It has no replay value though.

• Like 1

I think the best game of all times was Ufo: Enemy Unknown (1994, Microprose). It had everything right and it was amazingly advanced and ahead of its time. A true miracle in game design.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Probably Doom 1/2. Games will never wear out. This is the case for any game with custom levels, but Doom is even more special because levels are so easy to make, and so many people (still) crank them out like nobody's business. Also, Brutal Doom!

Edited by kano

Deus Ex 1, closely followed by Thief 2.

That said: Try Ghost of a Tale for a fresh look at the stealth genre. It has no replay value though.

Well, although it utilizes stealth mechanics it isn't a pure stealth game imho. I would put it more into the adventure genre. It has some nice ideas and a great art style, but gameplay-wise it comes down to keyhunting, which is one of the worst kinds of game mechanics for me. Finished it nevertheless, but I agree that there is no reason for it to be replayed. Still a good source for visual inspiration.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Just thought i'd start one of those fancy survey thingie.

You should edit the OP with list of the games, For me there is only one game its the one I have well over 1000 hrs worth of playtime -

- Thief 1/2 - imho the best game of all time, which is due in large part to the immense catalogue of fan made mission (well over 1000 of them)

And just for the hell of it, the next dozen or so that I can think off - going by hours played (sorta) -

1. The Darkmod - the mapping outweighs the playing, but I imagine getting on for 1000hrs.
  2. Half-life 2, ep1/2 - I have played through this game twice along with all the fantastic fan missions Black-mesa being the latest.
  3. Dishonoured 1/2 & DotO - This is what Thief 4 should have been, and another game I have played through Twice. Shame we can't create a missions for it.
  4. The Witcher 3 - loved this game, may play it again with the 1st person and high-res texture mods.
  5. Mass Effect 1/2/3 - brilliant space saga, shame the 4th was so bad and only available on Origin (which is why I never played it)
  6. ElderScrolls 4/5 - over 200hrs per game.
  7. Stalker 1-3 - utterly brilliant nuclear wasteland survival, looking forward to the next instalment of the game.
  8. Dying Light + DLC - brilliant zombie meets parkur game, very addictive, good story poorly told.
  9. Fallout 4 + DLC - huge open world, but severally let down by utterly broken DLC (Far-harbour broke my save-game and Atomic World was an afterthought)
  10. Dues-Ex HR & MKD - Brilliant game, but too short.
  11. Bioshock 1/2/3 - Utterly brilliant game, totally absorbing. Cant wait for the 4th instalment.
  12. Styx 1/2 - looking forward to the 3rd game in the series.
  13. Metro Lastlight 1/2 - another brilliant FPS looking forward to the 3rd instalment.
  14. Batman 1-5 & all DLC - The best thing about this game was the storytelling, exploring and sleuthing - but the boss fights were pointlessly hard and just filler (which is why I used a trainer for those parts of the game)

thief 2 will always be in my list of favourites, but I'll put forth with what I "wasted" a lot of my time with in my youth: quake 2 and my favourite mod: king of the server. I've been told it might still be around but i'm "over the hill" for that stuff now. ;P. It had an online shop you could spend "points from kills in deathmatch" upgrading your weapons and types of abilities (flying/cloaking/etc). Thinking about it now brings a smile to my face.

I'm playing Dishonored 2 ATM, after a year or so that it dwelled in my Steam account, because i thought it would bring my PC to meltdown… turned out that it's working quite OK, on low settings, and adaptive quality settings. Great game, i'm really enjoying it! :) Rather a spiritual Deus Ex successor for me (like Dishonored 1 already), than a Thief successor, even though, obviously, the style is vastly different. Still, it has much of the stuff which made Deus Ex a great game as well. Even more so in part 2.

I would have said Deus Ex at some point, but I haven't played it now in forever, so I can't even remember why.

Overall I'd say my favorite ever is Thief 2 for the fan missions from 2001 to around 2006, and then TDM since 2009.

It's the same game-continuum for me really. (Dishonored & Stalker are my two favorite games since the golden era.)

Aside from those I like 4X strategy games, Civ III or Victoria2 depending on whether I want gamey or history, and "sims" that let me just cruise around in a large open world, Minecraft fully modded, Skyrim for clopping around on a horse, and GTAV for driving down the highway. Those are the games I play the most, if that's a proxy criteria for favorite.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Man it's gotta be a close tie with Bioshock Infinite or Half-Life 2 for me. I really love me some catered stories and narrative. Environmental story telling is a big deal to me.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

So so very hard to pick even just a handful. But I'll have a go...

In no particular order:

Diablo II: Just the best implementation of the isometric action RPG style. Awesome story and atmosphere, and addictive loot system. Countless upon countless hours spent in that game! Baldur's Gate and Nox are close as far as isometric RPGs are concerned.

Thief Gold: Needs no introduction in these circles. A genre-defining game that didn't reach the popularity it deserved. The aesthetic and story are to me what put it above games like Thief II and Deus Ex, though they are close.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl: Absolutely mind-blowing game in so many ways, despite the bugs. Aesthetic, story, mood/environment, factions, enemies, inventory system and so much else were just perfect in this game.

Total Annihilation: This is to me the pinnacle of the RTS genre. The first game to my knowledge that had units that didn't need constant micro-management, and a truly well implemented elevation system. Besides, the "game universe" was just too cool! Close runners up are StarCraft and C&C: Red Alert.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Just a complete gamechanger for immersive 3D RPGs. The depth of the lore, detailed environments and tie-ins with the movies made this an instant classic imo. It represents the very best of Bioware. I suppose games like The Elder Scrolls fall in to this category too, even though in my mind they are apples and oranges. Oblivion stands out to me as equally great as SWKotOR.

To bring this post out of it's nostalgic trance I can also mention some more modern games that I've almost wanted to put on this list, most of which I've poured hundreds of hours into.

TDM? I think that counts ^^

Escape from Tarkov (Online survival shooter ála Stalker)

Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMO-RPG)

Dirt Rally (Rally/racing simulator)

Overwatch (Online FPS with MOBA elements)

Divinity: Original Sin 2 ("faux-isometric" turned based RPG)

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Just a complete gamechanger for immersive 3D RPGs. The depth of the lore, detailed environments and tie-ins with the movies made this an instant classic imo. It represents the very best of Bioware. I suppose games like The Elder Scrolls fall in to this category too, even though in my mind they are apples and oranges. Oblivion stands out to me as equally great as SWKotOR.

Man I'm not sure how I forgot that one but hellz yeah KotOR was amazing. I never was able to get into the MMO just because I can't get into stories with xXdinglemynuts123Xx running around on the server. But rest assured I will drop even more than reasonable amounts of cash if they ever do another single player KotOR.

• Like 2

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Man I'm not sure how I forgot that one but hellz yeah KotOR was amazing. I never was able to get into the MMO just because I can't get into stories with xXdinglemynuts123Xx running around on the server. But rest assured I will drop even more than reasonable amounts of cash if they ever do another single player KotOR.

Haha! True, that is a bit of an immersion killer. Though you can probably remove people's name labels somehow, just play on a non-PvP server, there are also servers with role-playing rules to maximize immersion. I would give it another go if I were you! I approached the game as a singleplayer experience, with some time spent co-oping up with my friends. The story is far-and-away the best I've ever seen in an MMO, and the environments and character building are top notch. I truly Think it's a worthy successor to KotOR, though it will never quite outshine the original. Best of all; it's completely free to play! The only thing is I recommend doing any purchase of 5 or 10 dollars/euro (can't remember where the breaking point is) in the ingame store to get "preferred" status which removes almost all the annoying hurdles they put on F2P players.

I haven't actually played it for about three years now though, so anything Ì said above could have changed by now...

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

hard to have a clear winner, different gaming styles... on my side I would have three winners for PC:

• Thief 2: for single player mostly (don't like undead really much, hence the second instead of the first episode)
  • SiN: for the multiplayer and the duke like humor (but with an engine that's actually enjoyable to use, not fan of 2.5d personally)
  • EverQuest (project1999 nowadays): for the lore, huge size and massively multiplayer aspect...

I think among my favourites and among the games that were not mentioned yet, 2 definitely deserve a word which are Knights of the Templar 2 and Conquests of the Longbow.

Knights of the Templar 2 is a forgotten, old action/rpg with lots of dungeon running. It had one location I'll never forget - Sirmium. The coolest design that includes an old Roman city in Britain that has a curse on it, that prevents anyone from leaving or entering it, upon being struck with thunder by sea or land. They are also stuck in a parallel time where they still uphold Roman laws, even if it's the Middle Ages already. In the end both the curse and the ending to the game overall is kinda tragic but the concept is so innovative and it shows so much how they tried to do something new with this video game

Conquests of the Longbow shows how even an anachronic 1992 adventure game can be cleverly written, get a good narrative, multiple endings and make the most banal story about Robin Hood refreshed into a distinctly touching experience. Better than Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Probably even the best Sierra game as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson