The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Missions stop loading and go back to menu [solved]

Anderson

Downloaded the new 2.06 update on laptop. 2.05 worked decently.

When starting any FM, the load screen goes for about 5 seconds into progress. When the bar goes a little after the start, the game reverts back to the briefing screen and all sound disappears. If pressing start mission again, it does the same thing, sound still gone. Doesn't matter which FM to try, even training mission. No error message or crashing. No freezing.

Tried different settings including performance tweaks in the wiki.

What could be wrong?

DxDiag_laptop.txt

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Which FM is it? I ask because The Elixir had a problem with 2.06 beta - so I may have to look at it again.

All of them!

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Unchecked read only (it was on only for some files). No change.

By installing and loading "A New Job" I get a revert back to new menu and not to briefing screen. But same effect as before.

Darkmod.cfg - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvGDCLNzgVKKguwVyONR9E4wk3-MzQ

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Set:

seta r_useGLSL "0"

seta com_smp "0"

and report if you get further.

Changed it in Darkmod.cfg

No progress.

badge?user=andarson

Please open the console prior to launching the mission then enter:

condump cannotlaunch.txt

and post the cannotlaunch.txt file you locate inside your darkmod directory

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

badge?user=andarson

Hmm...

Since we disabled GLSL this shouldn't matter, but let's try fixing:

(supplied from stgatilov to AluminumHaste for a different render issue)

Extract your tdm_base01.pk4 then find glprogs/interaction.fs file.

Find the lines 161-162, and replace them with:

vec2 alongDir = (mat3(gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix) * alongDirW).xy;

vec2 orthoDir = (mat3(gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix) * orthoDirW).xy;

then repack the tdm_base01.pk4 and over-write your current copy.

Then configure:

seta r_useGLSL 1

seta r_customHeight "768"

seta r_customWidth "1366"

seta r_fullscreen "1"

seta r_mode "-1"

seta r_aspectRatio "1"

in Darkmod.cfg and report if the same error happens.

• Like 1

Hmm...

Since we disabled GLSL this shouldn't matter, but let's try fixing:

(supplied from stgatilov to AluminumHaste for a different render issue)

Extract your tdm_base01.pk4 then find glprogs/interaction.fs file.

Find the lines 161-162, and replace them with:

vec2 alongDir = (mat3(gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix) * alongDirW).xy;

vec2 orthoDir = (mat3(gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix) * orthoDirW).xy;

then repack the tdm_base01.pk4 and over-write your current copy.

Here, I did it for you, just put this in the thedarkmod main directory, overwritting the original.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x7_TZQJ0hV134FduQoHVH076_mhnrgMb

• Like 2

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Still doesn't launch.

cannotlaunch.txt has the same errors with:

"WARNING: 0:3: 'layout' : symbol is deprecated in current GLSL version
WARNING: 0:3: 'triangles' : symbol is deprecated in current GLSL version
ERROR: 0:3: 'invocations' : syntax error syntax error"

badge?user=andarson

If the OP is running windows 7 they should re-apply the perms on the darkmod folder.

Win 10, 64 bit.

Applied all permissions to the folder.

Did not help.

badge?user=andarson

"WARNING: 0:3: 'layout' : symbol is deprecated in current GLSL version

WARNING: 0:3: 'triangles' : symbol is deprecated in current GLSL version

THis is a gfx card drive issue, what gfx card do you have and do you have the recomended driver installed or just thew windows 10 basic driver for that card - Have you just upgraded to windows10?

I doubt this is a shader compilation problem, because GLSL errors usually only cause shaders to not work, they don't drop the whole game.

Could you please also post console dump after trying to start mission?

There is high chance that the game prints some useful info to console when the problem happens.

Are you sure there is nothing of interest in console after a mission drops?

I compared condumps, and the different lines are:

Couldn't find proc address for: wglBindTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglReleaseTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglSetPbufferAttribARB
...PIXELFORMAT 4 selected
Max active textures: 16
X - EXT_depth_bounds_test not found
Couldn't find proc address for: glCopyImageSubData

The missing gl functions may be a problem...

Here is cannotlaunch.txt made after the mission doesn't launch - https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvGDCLNzgVKKguwW93gw106zKLEqEg

THis is a gfx card drive issue, what gfx card do you have and do you have the recomended driver installed or just thew windows 10 basic driver for that card - Have you just upgraded to windows10?

I'm using an Intel HD Graphics card.

The stock updater of drivers says there are no updates for it. I know it's ancient but TDM worked before.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Sound issue.

--------- Game Map Shutdown done -----
ERROR:idSoundCache: WAV error loading data into OpenAL hardware buffer: file: sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/grass_walk_r02.wav, error code: 40963

I'm not sure what that error code is though.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

OK.

Disable EFX audio in the GUI or set:

seta s_useEAXReverb "0"

in Darkmod.cfg

Did it from settings in the beginning and now from Darkmod.cfg. Still yields the same result.

My DxDiag file in attachment just in case.

DxDiag_laptop.txt

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

It does not depend on EFX.

All sounds are played with this OpenAL code now.

Let's consider the simple cases first.

Could you please open tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 file, find the wav file TDM complains about (sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/grass_walk_r02.wav).

Just look it at, write its size to us.

Try to play it directly with any player and confirm that sound is OK.

Also, you can try to rerun tdm_update --- if the file is wrong, it should redownload something.

I doubt this is a shader compilation problem, because GLSL errors usually only cause shaders to not work, they don't drop the whole game.

Could you please also post console dump after trying to start mission?

There is high chance that the game prints some useful info to console when the problem happens.

Are you sure there is nothing of interest in console after a mission drops?

I compared condumps, and the different lines are:

Couldn't find proc address for: wglBindTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglReleaseTexImageARB
Couldn't find proc address for: wglSetPbufferAttribARB
...PIXELFORMAT 4 selected
Max active textures: 16
X - EXT_depth_bounds_test not found
Couldn't find proc address for: glCopyImageSubData

The missing gl functions may be a problem...

First try:

seta r_skipCopyTexture "1"

in an autoexec.cfg

that should eliminate the need for glCopyImageSubData.

also I notice that FenceSync is failing:

WARNING:glClientWaitSync did not complete successfully (result code 37147).

that shouldn't be happening if com_smp is set to 0?

Next try ignoring OpenGL errors:

seta r_ignoreGLErrors "1"

If all that fails, lets just force the frames to "Finish"

seta r_finish "1"

Is it built into the CPU or the laptops motherboard, can you fire up GPU-Z and grab the exact model so we can look for a driver from Intel.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1246/hd-graphics

badge?user=andarson

It does not depend on EFX.

All sounds are played with this OpenAL code now.

Let's consider the simple cases first.

Could you please open tdm_sound_sfx02.pk4 file, find the wav file TDM complains about (sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/grass_walk_r02.wav).

Just look it at, write its size to us.

Try to play it directly with any player and confirm that sound is OK.

Also, you can try to rerun tdm_update --- if the file is wrong, it should redownload something.

The file seems to work. It has 27 kb.

tdm_update only finds it necessary to update stlucia.pk4

badge?user=andarson