The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Missions stop loading and go back to menu [solved]

Anderson

You can try to change sound device.

1. Set s_nosound back to zero.

2. Disable some sound devices in Windows.

Probably it is the best idea to disable everything except one set of speakers.

3. After that launch game and check these lines in console:

If I am right, you won't see disabled devices here anymore.

4. Try to run mission again.

I think "Realtek High Definition Audio" is the device that should be used.

The other devices look as either virtual or recording...

Hmm.

Try adding:

seta s_device "OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)"

to your autoexec.cfg

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Note that you must enter the name exactly as it is printed in game console.

I think the effect would be same as if you disable the other two devices in Windows, but worth a try anyway.

We have a clear problem with OpenAL: for some reason it does not work on Anderson's machine.

This is strange, given that we use openal-soft, which should not depend on hardware.

There is a chance that tweaking openal-soft config can help (maybe switch to another backend), but it is very complicated.

Perhaps the best thing which can provide more info is to get internal logs of OpenAL.

Set environment variables:

ALSOFT_LOGLEVEL=3

ALSOFT_LOGFILE=openal_log.txt

And run TDM. Then try to start a mission.

Find the openal_log.txt file (it should be created if you properly configured env.vars) after you exit TDM and post it here.

Sorry, for the hold up but had some problems.

• then click on have disk and browser to the folder on your desktop and inside that click on a folder called graphics.
    • then if you should see a list of intel gpu's, find and click on HD 2000, it will complain but ignore it.

:ph34r:

Ok, there's no such folder on desktop. If I got to "have disk" I get 3 options to install drivers for 3 distinct things. In attachment screenshot.

Also, there's no "graphics" folder anywhere. I'm not sure what you're reffering to. The.zip folder of driver downloaded does not have this format?

post-23762-0-93627700-1527866903_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Hmm.

Try adding:

to your autoexec.cfg

What does cannotlaunch.txt look like for you? For me the device in question has unintelligible letters. Could this prevent the game from reading what hardware I'm on?

The name of the device is in Russian "Динамики" in device manager of Windows.

I'm thinking that maybe if I switch all language settings on Windows to Russian it might help.

post-23762-0-98845700-1527867219_thumb.jpg

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Note that you must enter the name exactly as it is printed in game console.
I think the effect would be same as if you disable the other two devices in Windows, but worth a try anyway.
We have a clear problem with OpenAL: for some reason it does not work on Anderson's machine.
This is strange, given that we use openal-soft, which should not depend on hardware.
There is a chance that tweaking openal-soft config can help (maybe switch to another backend), but it is very complicated.
Perhaps the best thing which can provide more info is to get internal logs of OpenAL.
Set environment variables:
And run TDM. Then try to start a mission.
Find the openal_log.txt file (it should be created if you properly configured env.vars) after you exit TDM and post it here.

How to configure env.vars?

badge?user=andarson

This maybe easier if I do this remotely for you, if you want to try that drop me a PM.

Don't think so.

Laptop is set to Russian and I can't change the language on a Windows Home OS.

badge?user=andarson

How to configure env.vars?

Create a new file run_with_openal_log.cmd in the same directory where TheDarkModx64.exe is located, paste the following into it:

set ALSOFT_LOGLEVEL=3
set ALSOFT_LOGFILE=openal_log.txt
TheDarkModx64.exe

Then execute this .cmd-file instead of running .exe directly.

What does cannotlaunch.txt look like for you? For me the device in question has unintelligible letters.

It depends on encoding.

In your case the name is encoded in UTF-8, so you should open it in UTF-8.

If your editor (e.g. notepad.exe) opens the console log in win1251, then you won't see anything good.

I think the best idea would be to copy/paste the name of the device from console log into darkmod.cfg, then adapt it with this "seta s_device" and put quotes properly.

The game does not know anything about the encoding, I guess it only looks if the bytes are the same.

Could this prevent the game from reading what hardware I'm on?

No.

I also have russian Windows and the names of OpenAL devices are also partly in Russian.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what nbohr1more tries to achieve.

The game enumerates all the enabled devices (their names do not matter at all), then chooses one of them as it sees fit.

Now if you want to specify the particular device using "s_device", then you have to specify its name (that's how the game will know which one you want).

However, the last time when I checked, all devices which are disabled in Windows are invisible to OpenAL.

So specifying one particular device with s_device should be equivalent to simply disabling all other devices in Windows (which is much easier).

You can even check this by looking at the game console when you disable all the other devices: if it contains only one "OpenAL: found device" message, then you can be absolutely sure that the game chooses this device.

• Like 1

Create a new file run_with_openal_log.cmd in the same directory where TheDarkModx64.exe is located, paste the following into it:

set ALSOFT_LOGLEVEL=3
set ALSOFT_LOGFILE=openal_log.txt
TheDarkModx64.exe

Then execute this .cmd-file instead of running .exe directly.

It depends on encoding.

In your case the name is encoded in UTF-8, so you should open it in UTF-8.

If your editor (e.g. notepad.exe) opens the console log in win1251, then you won't see anything good.

I think the best idea would be to copy/paste the name of the device from console log into darkmod.cfg, then adapt it with this "seta s_device" and put quotes properly.

The game does not know anything about the encoding, I guess it only looks if the bytes are the same.

No.

I also have russian Windows and the names of OpenAL devices are also partly in Russian.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what nbohr1more tries to achieve.

The game enumerates all the enabled devices (their names do not matter at all), then chooses one of them as it sees fit.

Now if you want to specify the particular device using "s_device", then you have to specify its name (that's how the game will know which one you want).

However, the last time when I checked, all devices which are disabled in Windows are invisible to OpenAL.

So specifying one particular device with s_device should be equivalent to simply disabling all other devices in Windows (which is much easier).

You can even check this by looking at the game console when you disable all the other devices: if it contains only one "OpenAL: found device" message, then you can be absolutely sure that the game chooses this device.

openal_log.txt

openal_log.txt

badge?user=andarson

Hmm.

Try adding:

to your autoexec.cfg

Should I send a new cannotlaunch.txt file after ?

badge?user=andarson

openal_log.txt

Nothing revealing, unfortunately :o

The log shows that your device uses 192KHz frequency, which is quite high (44.1 KHz is sort of default).

So I suggest tweaking openal-soft configuration.

First, let's try to switch to another backend: mmdevapi is used by default, and we will try winmm now.

Download attached file and save it as D:\tdm_update_win\alsoft.ini (I guess darkmod is located in this directory).

After that start darkmod via .cmd-file and try to start mission.

Finally, post the new openal_log.txt here.

The config file has one line which specifies backend:

#  won't be considered for use (e.g. '-oss,' will try all available backends
#  except OSS). An empty list means to try all backends.
drivers = 'winmm'

So if winmm does not help for you (i.e. mission still not loads), you can also try other two backends: dsound and wasapi

In order to try another backend, simply replace winmm inside quotes with corresponding name.

alsoft.ini.txt

• Like 1

Nothing revealing, unfortunately :o

The log shows that your device uses 192KHz frequency, which is quite high (44.1 KHz is sort of default).

So I suggest tweaking openal-soft configuration.

First, let's try to switch to another backend: mmdevapi is used by default, and we will try winmm now.

Download attached file and save it as D:\tdm_update_win\alsoft.ini (I guess darkmod is located in this directory).

After that start darkmod via .cmd-file and try to start mission.

Finally, post the new openal_log.txt here.

The config file has one line which specifies backend:

#  won't be considered for use (e.g. '-oss,' will try all available backends
#  except OSS). An empty list means to try all backends.
drivers = 'winmm'

So if winmm does not help for you (i.e. mission still not loads), you can also try other two backends: dsound and wasapi

In order to try another backend, simply replace winmm inside quotes with corresponding name.

Alright! Here's the first openal_log file after inserting the file alsoft.ini. I'll try replacing 'winm' and provide more openal_log files.

Also, I tried Bikerdude's solution and he has kindly agreed to show how to replace new drivers. Unfortunately we came to the conclusion that even manually force installing new drivers is not accepted by the system. System restore failed to Antivirus or some such thing. So I just updated drivers myself and they got restored back so I can have night mode and brightness settings back for the display at least. Back to start from the starting line.

openal_log.txt

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

​openal_log.txt with dsound setting in the .ini file

openal_log.txt

badge?user=andarson

wasapi setting in .ini file and openal_log.txt

openal_log.txt

badge?user=andarson

The config file did not take effect.

Ensure that you placed file into proper place (and removed the .txt extension!)

If it takes effect, you should see something like this in the openal_log.txt:

AL lib: (II) ReadALConfig: Loading config D:\tdm_update_win\alsoft.ini...
AL lib: (II) LoadConfigFromFile: found 'drivers' = 'winmm'
AL lib: (II) LoadConfigFromFile: found 'decoder/hq-mode' = 'false'
AL lib: (II) LoadConfigFromFile: found 'decoder/distance-comp' = 'true'
  • Like 1

The config file did not take effect.

Ensure that you placed file into proper place (and removed the .txt extension!)

If it takes effect, you should see something like this in the openal_log.txt:

AL lib: (II) ReadALConfig: Loading config D:\tdm_update_win\alsoft.ini...
AL lib: (II) LoadConfigFromFile: found 'drivers' = 'winmm' AL lib: (II) LoadConfigFromFile: found 'decoder/hq-mode' = 'false' AL lib: (II) LoadConfigFromFile: found 'decoder/distance-comp' = 'true'

Never mind, guess I have to find a converter.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

alsoft.ini does not have a .txt extension but it does open in notepad.

The file that you downloaded from forum does have an additional .txt extension.

Recall that windows explorer does not show you the last extension of a file by default (unless you disabled this stupid "feature").

• Like 1

The file that you downloaded from forum does have an additional .txt extension.

Recall that windows explorer does not show you the last extension of a file by default (unless you disabled this stupid "feature").

A thousand apologies, my mistake. Did not notice that my Windows explorer doesn't show me the extension and was lead to believe falsely that it did.. Had to check it now.

​I think now openal._log does show what it is intended with "winmm".

This time the game launched without sound and behaved as usual with not loading the mission. Only this time it failed to exit properly and freezed upon my exit so I had to manually terminate the game .exe.

openal_log.txt

badge?user=andarson

dsound in general causes the game not to launch! But it does produce an openal_log file correspondingly.

openal_log.txt

badge?user=andarson

wasapi doesn't let the game launch neither. Also has an openal_log file created after this attempt.

openal_log.txt

badge?user=andarson

You can download a special build of TDM 2.06 here.

I have made two changes:

1. Whenever TDM calls alBufferData in the place where the error happens, all the calls are logged to TDM console (along with all arguments).

2. alBufferData must now print a message into openal_log.txt which shows where exactly this error happens.

So after you download, replace the original exe and dll with these two (either backup the original files, or run tdm_update after everything ends to restore originals).

Remove the alsoft.ini --- it does not help us.

Then run the game via .cmd file and start mission.

After it drops you to main menu, make a condump and exit game.

Finally, attach both openal_log.txt and condump file.

If this won't shed light on the reason of your issue, I am lost :o

Maybe we should summon kcat to help us then...

• Like 1

You can download a special build of TDM 2.06 here.

I have made two changes:

1. Whenever TDM calls alBufferData in the place where the error happens, all the calls are logged to TDM console (along with all arguments).

2. alBufferData must now print a message into openal_log.txt which shows where exactly this error happens.

So after you download, replace the original exe and dll with these two (either backup the original files, or run tdm_update after everything ends to restore originals).

Remove the alsoft.ini --- it does not help us.

Then run the game via .cmd file and start mission.

After it drops you to main menu, make a condump and exit game.

Finally, attach both openal_log.txt and condump file.

If this won't shed light on the reason of your issue, I am lost :o

Maybe we should summon kcat to help us then...

I made both an openal_log.txt file and through condump command a cannotlaunch.txt file the last of which was made before trying to launch the FM and landing me back to main menu. After that I quit the game.

openal_log.txt

cannotlaunch.txt

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Oh please, could I have a condump taken after mission load failed?

condump cannotlaunch.txt

cannotlaunch.txt

badge?user=andarson