The Dark Mod Forums

Steam sale

Diego

So, does anyone have recommendations?

I like sales to lower the amount of games in my wishlist a bit. I get all the games that are lower than a dollar and a couple of more expensive ones. So far the only more expensive one I found is The Witness. I haven't played much yet but I do like what see so far. Just a straightforward collection of puzzles on an island. I haven't checked the cheap ones yet.

I'll try to remember to give you some recommendations tonight. I found a couple of great ones that were in the $1-$3 range, and more expensive ones worth it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

UPDATE 2018-06-28: Got them all but refunded interLogic. See below. Also got Rune Classic because... Nostalgia and now I don't have to go searching through a bajillion boxes for the discs. And they've updated the game so that it runs on a modern computer. I don't know if I'll get anything more... I have a few more days to contemplate, though.

Here's what I'm looking at right now (all prices are in U.S. currency):

* Interlogic: 0.99. Nice simple puzzle game. Level editor included in case you want to use your creative side. UPDATE 2018-06-28: Refunded. A bit too simplistic for my tastes and the production values were more than a bit amateurish.

* Age of Decadence: 4.99. Been following this game for what feels like half of my life long before it was ever released. Supposedly a 'hard-core' RPG in the vein of Fallout 1/2. Finally at a "What the hey? If it sucks I didn't waste a ton of money on it" price.

* Aliens v. Predator (2010): 2.39. Low-cost game that scratches the FPS itch. The price is the complete package, not that I'll ever use the mult-player option but it's always nice to have the full game and avoid the DLC scam.

* Diluvion (Fleet edition) : 3.74. A bit of a gamble even at this price but it's a nice price and it supposedly has a "FTL meets Jules Verne" vibe to it. UPDATE 2018-06-28: Also got the "Derringer" sub DLC because... Heck, I might as well be a completist when it comes to the gameplay.

* Fight the Dragon: 1.99. Voxel art meets Action-RPG. The big appeal (at least to me) is the low price and level editor (along with all of the fan content).

* Dawn of Discovery Gold: 3.74. Scratches the empire/world-building itch at a low price.

* Imperium Galactica II: 2.49. Solid 4x sci-fi game at a low price.

* Defense Grid 2: 3.74. Mindless tower defense that's supposedly good at it's genre. Level editor & tons of free content adds replayability & value.

* Homeworld Remastered: 8.74. I allow myself one "splurge" per large sale (Summer/Winter) if I so choose. This one is it. Liked it when it was first released. Only knock on this is that it doesn't have Cataclysm (supposedly, the source code for Cataclysm is lost). I don't need the soundtrack but to each their own.

Anyway, there are others that are on the bubble but those are the ones that I'm looking at for now. Feel free to critique.

So, does anyone have recommendations?

I like sales to lower the amount of games in my wishlist a bit. I get all the games that are lower than a dollar and a couple of more expensive ones. So far the only more expensive one I found is The Witness. I haven't played much yet but I do like what see so far. Just a straightforward collection of puzzles on an island. I haven't checked the cheap ones yet.

Edited by SciFiThief

I tried to list games on sale that I already own so I can recommend games I already know are worth it. But I couldn't find an easy way of doing that.

I just tried another purchase quickly: Stephen's sausage roll. It's quite a strange concept but a really cool puzzle! very original. You control a... thing, that has to move sausages onto grills... you know what, just watch a video or something. This game defies description.

I bought Dirt Rally, as it was probably the cheapest ever, also LiS: Before the storm, although I have my doubts about the quality and overall direction, since the main voice actress was changed.

:o 80% off, that's an absolute steal! Ok, time to dust off the G29 and see if I can get it working. Been wanting to try it out in VR!

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Dirt Rally. I'm not a racing game person but I really wanted something to play in VR. I even bought the F zero inspired thing (forgot the name) but the thing gave me so much technical difficulties I asked for a reimbursement. 80% off is cool, even if it's still $12.

I picked up The Forest and Overload (for their VR modes)--both are amazing.

Also Downward Spiral: Horus Station but that wasn't actually on sale. However so far it's definitely one of the most immersive VR games I've played--the atmosphere is incredible (reminds me of some classic 80s scifi). I can't comment on the flat version of the game (could be completely different) but I'm really hooked on this one.

Also considering getting Detached, Pulsar: Lost Colony, or Star Shelter. I love the idea of Pulsar and that it is cooperative but from what I'm reading there are still some issues with the VR mode. Star Shelter also looks great to me but it's not clear to me to what extent the developer intends to flesh it out. If it had a cooperative mode I'd buy it right now though.

I tried to list games on sale that I already own so I can recommend games I already know are worth it. But I couldn't find an easy way of doing that.

Same, and my memory isn't good enough to even remember the prices of the games I bought for this sale.

Dishonored was something like $2, and the back catalog of Tomb Raiders, Assassin Creeds, & Hitmen were all pretty cheap.

Long story short, my big vacation this year got more or less cancelled (turned from an overseas flight into just hanging around locally) so I had unexpectedly a lot of disposable money and a big incentive to splurge on games to make up for it. This should hold me over for a long time though, since I cut pretty deep into my wishlist and I have pretty much every essential game I wanted up to 2 years ago or so. If it's an essential game after that, then it can wait a few years, with a few possible exceptions for upcoming games. I may pick up Red Dead Redemption 2 early on just because I'm a sucker for good horse-riding in games. Cyberpunk 2077 and Ghosts of Tsushima only if they're open world enough.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I can recommend The Long Dark. Beautiful survival game with even a bit of a stealth element. I've probably put 250 hours into it this year.

The Long Dark is a whopping 75% off, biggest discount I've ever seen for it. Highly recommend, price is a steal.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I found a way to look up games I played, liked, and are on sale. By going through my reviews. So here are a few good sales:

Styx is 75% off. I have issues with this game but it's stealth and original and has a lot going for it. In a world of games with zero personality and moronic writing I just think it's worth overlooking Styx's shortcomings, because it does a lot of things right.

Strider is awesome and is 70% off.

Talos Principle is 80% off, and I like it. Just a bunch of puzzles and an interesting story.

I also recommend Archibald's Adventures. It's an old puzzle platformer that got re-released on steam recently and there's a good sale. Solid puzzle design.

Strafe is 50%, which is an ok discount for steam's standards but I noticed some love for quake aesthetics here and this game is all about that.

Just got Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain for 14,99. Always wondered what the fuss was about (very high ratings everywhere), so, for 15 €, i guess it's well worth checking it out. ;)

Oh well... i absolutely hate it, lol. An interactive film, and such an exaggerated intro. Demanded a refund. :P Typical 2010's game.

Edited by chakkman

Just got Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain for 14,99. Always wondered what the fuss was about (very high ratings everywhere), so, for 15 €, i guess it's well worth checking it out. ;)

Oh well... i absolutely hate it, lol. An interactive film, and such an exaggerated intro. Demanded a refund. :P Typical 2010's game.

It sure is very... japanese! I could never get into the metal gear series. Back in the ps era I would die to play that cool looking stealth game (never played one back then) but when I got the chance to play one, stealth was already well defined and better made by other titles. Last Metal Gear I played was the one before, ground zeros, and it's basically a glorified demo to phantom pain for $20. Worst $20 ever spent.

:o 80% off, that's an absolute steal! Ok, time to dust off the G29 and see if I can get it working. Been wanting to try it out in VR!

Got it working. One word: Glorious!

Dirt Rally. I'm not a racing game person but I really wanted something to play in VR. I even bought the F zero inspired thing (forgot the name) but the thing gave me so much technical difficulties I asked for a reimbursement. 80% off is cool, even if it's still $12.

It's certainly well worth the purchase. I do very very highly recommend a decent steering wheel with force feedback though. Tried it in VR with the keyboard at first and it was still pretty cool, but it's almost impossible to play, being probably the most faithful rally simulation ever, even giving Richard Burns Rally a good run for its money IMO (aside from being infinitely more beautiful lol).

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

• 3 months later...