The Dark Mod Forums

Real Life Sneaking Paint-em-up

Sotha

I just played a little sneaking game with nature. I had to repaint one of the columns in a car shelter. There happened to be a nest of wasps on top of the column, somewhere hidden under the roof of the shelter.

If I was away from the top of the column, the was wasps did not care about me at all.

When I was working too close to the top of the column the nest would launch out a squadron of 5-10 wasps ("Raise the alarm! We are being invaded!") Soon, I was being surrounded by the wasp squadron and I had to spot working, climb down and take a few steps away from the nest. It is a really windy day today, so the wasps were struggling to stay in one place so I had plenty of time to move away.

After I was gone, the wasp squadron buzzed around the spot where I had been working ("where are you hiding, villain?") After a while it returned back to the nest ("Stand down! Must have been rats.")

And then I would get back to work and it seemed to occur the same way over and over again. I think even the tolerance time (how long and how close I was allowed to work) and the alert end time (how long the wasps patrolled the offended area) were roughly the same over and over again.

In the end, I worked in small increments and got the column painted. I did not get stung at all.

Amazing creatures, these wasps. Grayman might want to check their AI code, I think it might have been ripped out from TDM... ;)

• Like 4

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

30 years ago I was working at the top of a ladder under the eaves of my roof, and surprised a small nest of wasps.

Unfortunately, there was no wind, and 3 or 4 of them hit me before I could start climbing down. Youch!

Since I needed to complete the work, I took care of the nest with a fire arrow. (It was a stone house.) :ph34r:

• Like 2

As the nest grows, so grows their activity. I cannot allow to let them sting my little ones, who like to play in the general area.

The plan is ready: I am gonna nuke them from the orbit (it is the only way to be sure) tonight when they go to sleep. I got my chemical weapons ready. Heavy winter clothing with full face protection should be sufficient.

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.