The Dark Mod Forums

Moving TDM to new engine?

NeonsStyle

if you want to switch tdm over to the unreal engine or any other engine that only uses models to create the world then rope arrows would need a complete re-write, or suck it up with that system that was used in t4 for rope arrows, where the rope uncoils from a roof anchor point.

and a probable rewrite of the physics engine for crates, plates and other movable item you can scatter around here, there, and everywhere. anyone notice how fixed in place items were in t4.

Edited by stumpy

if you want to switch tdm over to the unreal engine or any other engine that only uses models to create the world then rope arrows would need a complete re-write, or suck it up with that system that was used in t4 for rope arrows, where the rope uncoils from a roof anchor point.

Why is that so? I'm making a mission that is 100% models surrounded with caulk, and rope arrows work just fine. It's just a question of how you break up your model into proper materials. If it can be done in idtech4, I'm sure it can be done in UE4.

Personally, I would rather see the original T1 & T2 missions remade in TDM (as a complete mission pack)... just for the beautiful graphics alone.

Copyright on those missions prevents this.

Copyright indeed prevents you from copying thief story, characters, names and places BUT imo the gameplay is not copyrighted nor is the missions layouts, if you want to make a TDM mission based on a thief mission layout you can, just make sure to not refer to places and characters from thief and never use assets (textures, models, audio, etc) from thief. I'm sure some TDM mission makers got inspiration from thief missions.

About the engine change, yes rope arrows work fine with models, like Judith said is all based on what material the arrow hits not if is a model or a world brush, TDM like rope arrows are perfectly possible in UE4 and because it uses a better physics engine they would look even better, but who cares, this conversation has already been discussed and arrived to a consensus, TDM will never change engines, period. Also TDM fortunately for now has motivated coders with sufficient knowledge to update the engine further, imo making this question even more irrelevant.

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

An overview I finished just this week,

That's a cool idea, thanks for doing that.

This piece needs updating though:

Series' status: In development, but currently on hiatus

The Crucible project was declared dead about a year ago and the missions were put up for adoption or returned to their original authors. It is no longer in development, and definitely shouldn't be characterized as "the main campaign for the future of TDM".

• Like 1

(...)

Biggest issue: AI code. Our Id Tech 4 GPL license is almost certainly incompatible with the license for UE4.

(Pathfinding, Stim Response, Weapon Damage, Door Handling, etc.)

If there is someway to reconcile the GPL licenses to allow our AI code to be integrated into UE4 then there is

some sliver of hope. If not the meat of the project would need to be rebuilt from scratch (no hope).

Entity Defs. We would need to either covert all Entities to whatever the equivalent is in UE4 or make some sort of

alias structure that reads id Tech 4 Entities and relays them as UE4 versions.

(See above AI \ GPL issue. If id Tech 4 code can be ported into UE4 then this can be made easier.)

(...)

Bottom line:

If the GPL code integration issues are resolvable, a good coder or two could get the meat of the project ported to UE4 in about 1.5 to 2 years.

If there is no legal way to merge in our AI code or other id Tech 4 (or derived code) then it would be a lot like starting from scratch. 4 years or more

of work.

(...)

Is it just me or licensing is just a load of bullshit that only serves to prevent people from being as inventive as they would otherwise be, and get in the way of innovation?

It's really the impression I get. That and also for companies to abuse the legal system to try to screw over the competition in court.

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Is it just me or licensing is just a load of bullshit that only serves to prevent people from being as inventive as they would otherwise be, and get in the way of innovation?

It's really the impression I get. That and also for companies to abuse the legal system to try to screw over the competition in court.

Look for other discussions about copyright for that; there have been plenty on this board. It is understandable that people want to portect their IP, which took a lot of effort (and as a consequence money) to create, so they don't want people to just pick it up and do what they want with it. Still, I understand your frustration as many gameworlds are now dead due to licencing (lookin at EA killing several great series by releasing crap sequels, which kill the series, but not releaseing the license, so the series could be picked up by fans or studieos that would like to see a proper continuation).

That's a cool idea, thanks for doing that.

This piece needs updating though:

The Crucible project was declared dead about a year ago and the missions were put up for adoption or returned to their original authors. It is no longer in development, and definitely shouldn't be characterized as "the main campaign for the future of TDM".

Gotcha. That said, should I keep it as the "past effort at an official campaign" ?

Sorry to hear it's not being continued. I was still under the impression that it's a slow-burning project.

Gotcha. That said, should I keep it as the "past effort at an official campaign" ?

Well, technically it was never really an "official campaign". And calling it that now might create the impression that the entire development team failed to achieve a project it was working on, which isn't really desirable (or accurate).

• Like 1