The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Warrens (by grayman) (2018/9/1)

grayman

Just started playing this mission. The map is stunningly beautiful and the whole scale and design seems impeccable.

Simply beautiful mission!

I started now the mission, it's an incredible city, and what a story!

Thanks a lot Grayman, you made may day with this! :-D

Glad you like it!

More to come ...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it! Glad I decided to pick it back up tonight, turns out I didn't have much left. I decided Deacon needed to drunkenly trip over and fall from the pier, I was getting worried that it was taking him too long to drown, but he managed it, so good on him (and on the game for still supporting that mechanic!) I did have some trouble with the optional objective, though. No matter where on the desk I dropped the note, it never completed.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

• 1 month later...

Excellent mission, visually impressive, nice atmosphere - loved the rain on the glass roof in the theater!

A couple questions though:

1) There is a room near-ish the theater area wherein a journal refers to a 'device on the roof'. I wasn't able to find my way onto a roof where any device could be found.

2) Is there a way into the inventor's guild? I spent a few minutes looking, but failed to see one.

Also:

I put the evidence on the station desk before I went looking for him, and thought the objective which triggered made him run around and do in all the guards etc. I pondered reloading and trying to find him before placing the evidence so the guards would remain alive, but I was happy you explained he already started to stalk the city once the disguise was found. Time saver for me! :-p

Edited by rinscewind
  • Like 1

It's never a three hour tour.

rinscewind:

- Can you provide a screenshot of where the journal talking about the 'device on the roof' is? I don't remember this.

- Also, can you provide a screenshot of which building you think belongs to the Inventors' Guild? I don't remember creating one.

• Like 1

Sorry, seems I mistook something from a bit of a different game level for your FM, when it comes to the 'device on the roof'. /sigh ... insomnia can take its toll at times.

As for the guild, I suppose I assumed there would be more to this:

Inv%20Guild%20-%20mistook.jpg

Also, I can't remember which crate it was, but mantling onto one of the crate with wine bottles in it caused me to be stuck - could only lean, stand etc, but not move or escape that point, so had to quick reload.

Also, it is possible to step beyond the boundaries of the FM:

Edge%20of%20World%20-%201.jpg

Edge%20of%20World%20-%202.jpg

Edge%20of%20World%20-%203.jpg

Edge%20of%20World%20-%208.jpg

Excellent FM, love the freedom to explore and the little side stories to be found! Looking forward to the next entry in the series.

Edited by rinscewind

It's never a three hour tour.

For the dozens of climbing problems I fix in my maps, there are always a few that go undiscovered. Can't be helped.

The only building next to the canal in that area that can be entered is the warehouse with the green light over the door.

silverflame3: there was some mention of sudden fps drops throughout the mission, and I noticed that I was experiencing severe fps drops around some specific models used in the map. Specifically, while looking at the wooden doors and windows models

I noticed this as well until I just found a new setting in the video options.. multi core enhancement. This seems to eliminate the frame rate issues I was having for the most part. Multi core enhancement is still a little inconsistent though in version 2.06.

Edited by cavador_8

• 4 weeks later...

I have just spent an incredibly long time looking for Deacon. I don't believe that I could spend that amount of time and keep missing him somehow. The only objective I have left is to kill Deacon and he is absolutely nowhere walking around. It looks like his path of movement was set way too high. It shouldn't take this long to find him. The only people walking around the map now is a female and a male (not Deacon) that I didn't knock out.

Edited by cavador_8

Finished this a couple of days ago. Very good, if different from the previous William Steele missions. It hit on the creepy exploration I like in TDM, I could have just run around in this place with no NPCs for a while. The inn and the theater in particular had good atmosphere.

But then again, in the case of the latter, I enjoy secret passageways

Everything felt like it was just lived in, and is now rotting and decaying. Very well done.

Plot-wise I do have a minor question:

I admit I had the impression from WS 2 that the City Watch guy had no involvement in the plot, since he seemed to be surprised at the warden wanting the evidence and also no idea Deacon was the killer until after the investigation. Did I misunderstand something? (probably)

And I'm almost disappointed about that teased locked room mystery in WS 2 being so simple. But that's a personal thing and a personal interest, can't blame you for that one. :P

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

r]I admit I had the impression from WS 2 that the City Watch guy had no involvement in the plot, since he seemed to be surprised at the warden wanting the evidence and also no idea Deacon was the killer until after the investigation. Did I misunderstand something? (probably)

And I'm almost disappointed about that teased locked room mystery in WS 2 being so simple. But that's a personal thing and a personal interest, can't blame you for that one. :P

Captain Marston is indeed involved in the plot. Consider the audio message he received. His concern (surprise?) that the Warden wanted to see the evidence was that the Warden would glean what was going on. The Warden liked to convict crooks, liked to hang them. He even received a certificate from the Lord Mayor congratulating him on his ability to clean up the streets. The Warden saw the West District killings as something he wanted to investigate himself; perhaps there would be more publicity in bringing the killer(s) to his gallows.

What locked room mystery?

• Like 1

grayman, on 01 Jan 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

Captain Marston is indeed involved in the plot. Consider the audio message he received. His concern (surprise?) that the Warden wanted to see the evidence was that the Warden would glean what was going on. The Warden liked to convict crooks, liked to hang them. He even received a certificate from the Lord Mayor congratulating him on his ability to clean up the streets. The Warden saw the West District killings as something he wanted to investigate himself; perhaps there would be more publicity in bringing the killer(s) to his gallows.

What locked room mystery?

Then I suppose I just misread! I'll try and pay more attention to the readables when I replay it.

As for the locked room, I thought that the account of the Steele murders from part 2 said that the house was locked on the inside/completely locked. I'm a fan of that subgenre and got excited, but I suppose I misunderstood.

Edited by The Dark One

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

Oh my god, what an architecturally beautiful FM. I know, once again, VERY late to the party, but I wanted to give my cudos to you anyway! :-) It looks so damn awesome, perfect color toning all over, and that atmosphere?! Wow! EFX really gives that little extra. Authenticity is the main trait of the William Steele series and you continue that legacy with this entry. Congrats man! The story evolves nicely (also gameplay-wise) and I am looking forward to possibly finalizing it in your next FM, or the one after that? ;-)

A few issues I noticed:

• Statues in the beginning can sort of be mantled, but you slip off right afterwards. I suppose you put some mantle protection there, but it doesn't work so well.
  • There is some banding in the sky texture. I only mention this because now, with the new soft-gamma, we shouldn't have any binding, except when it is contained in the texture, which surely is the case here.
  • The dripping sound in the lighthouse Inn sounds a bit too cavy, if you ask me. ;)

Drowning Deacon takes AGES! I knocked him out with a gas arrow and threw him into the river.

Deacon had his sword out when I wanted to kill him and there was a dead watchman nearby. Is that normal?

• 1 month later...