The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Warrens (by grayman) (2018/9/1)

grayman

Thank you so much grayman.First mission I've played in quite a while and such an excellent one at that!The detail was second to none. I had a thought , what happens to the game if

you kill the engineer before you discover that he's really you know who?Presume he is respawned later or whatever you call it ?

I enjoyed

gassing him and dumping him in the canal

At the end , the town was rather bare , just me

a nobleman and a serving girl

wandering around.Almost a ghost town in fact , I expected a few undead to pop out anytime!I would have loved to have been able to enter more buildings too , but that's me being picky. p.s Can anyone get those pesky mines to work? I've given up using them in missions now, fed up with the watch just stepping over them, give me a good old broadhead anytime!

Can anyone get those pesky mines to work? I've given up using them in missions now, fed up with the watch just stepping over them, give me a good old broadhead anytime!

Mines work best if you place them (by tapping the use key) on a flat surface half a meter away from any steps centered in the path of the victim. They need some seconds to activate and are then ready to deliver an as explosive experience as a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 to anyone who is stepping on them.

It is important, that the victim steps on the mine. Just passing nearby does not count.

Or you do it like i usually do it: Just throw them at the victim (press the use key one or more seconds depending on the distance to the victim). The mine lands before the victims feet and activates. The victim normally is sort of just turning around for some seconds after beeing hit and after that triggers the mine by either turning around or moving towards you.

In the rare case where a mine does not trigger as axpected, you can disarm it by using any lockpick. After disarming you can pick the mine up and use it again.

If you kill an unarmed person, the mission fails.

Its one of the objectives

Ah , forgot that , but what about say gassing?

Thanks for the mine hints Abusimplea.

KOing or gassing Deacon before you know who he is is the one place I part from TDM mechanics. It's necessary for the mission that he recover (or perhaps he was faking it :ph34r: ).

This is also why I don't let you kill anyone who's unarmed. Deacon wouldn't come back from that.

I would appreciate a hint.

I have identified the killer, who turned out to be the district priest. However, I am not finding him anywhere. He is not in, or around the church. I have tried the lighthouse, the inn, the theatre and the inventor's guild, as well as the streets but no luck. I seem to be running around in circles. Where is he?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I would appreciate a hint.

If you hang around inside the chapel (church) he'll eventually walk in. It'll take a while, though.

If you want to find him quicker, he's walking in a counter-clockwise path: empire gate->west gate->cemetery->chapel->docks->canal->empire gate.

If you're searching in a counter-clockwise path, you might always be ahead of or behind him.

If you walk in a clockwise path, you'll increase your chances of finding him.

He's singing/coughing, so if you stand still for a while, you might hear him approaching.

Ah, that helped! Thanks - found him shortly afterwards. :)

This was truly an excellent mission! It was a bleak, hopeless place, and the story continued to be intriguing. It felt natural, but had proper drama with its sinister killings and startling discoveries. A good compromise between detective work and plain exploration. I must mention the visual storytelling especially, which is remarkably strong here. Also, the various characters felt interesting, with their side-stories (although a few more bystanders might not have hurt). Tracking down the killer to his lair was a tense sequence, and the payoff was well worth it. The "look" is also very nice; you could feel this quarter was abandoned in a haste, and the decay was creeping in. I am fairly sure I didn't find some places, even though I only missed about 500 loot. However, I never found the map! The opening convo mentions it, but I couldn't spot it, and later just wandered around, gradually exploring the place.

One thing where the mission is a bit weaker is the sound. Too much of the territory is covered by that one single loop, which gets repetitive after a while. Giving places a more distinct audio identity would have been an improvement.

All in all, the WS series just keeps being excellent - I eagerly await the next part.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Always a pleasure to kill banksters put some leverage on financial establishments.